Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBee
    Welcome to the "port", David. My son's a T12, so much more independent. He was injured in Aug 2002 when he was 17, close to your DC's date. Sorry, no words of assistance, just a shoulder for your feminine side to cry on, if needed. I hope things continue to improve.
    Thank you, I know you know how much that means, I hope this finds you and yours doing well and I look forward to getting to know everyone in here. I gotta figure all this out, I was editting my post when your reply came in, that was fast!!! I have to go, running late, but of course, so is the aide, she was suppose to be here at 4 it is now 5 and she just called and said she was on her way. It's an hour bus ride for her, what can you do, but grin and bare it? Ta-ta for now
    This time you gave me a mountain, I will see you on the other side.
    Caregiver to son SCI-C5-Incomplete

David

Hola Vacowboy60 ..... I'm so glad you found us ...... and so sorry you had to ! Such is our life .... my husband Bill is sci in our family T5 .... parents caring for their children sci have my humble respect and total admiration .... blessings and peace on you and your family .... a "port" in the storm hmmm .. I think I like that almost as well as the "sanctuary" ........

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone
    Hola Vacowboy60 ..... I'm so glad you found us ...... and so sorry you had to ! Such is our life .... my husband Bill is sci in our family T5 .... parents caring for their children sci have my humble respect and total admiration .... blessings and peace on you and your family .... a "port" in the storm hmmm .. I think I like that almost as well as the "sanctuary" ........

Obieone
    Hola and thank you Obieone, I'm not sure what to say except; caregiving is caregiving, be it son or daughter, mother or father, sister or brother. I only wish I was the Superman they believe me to be, but I'm just a man doing all I can to ensure his son has as good a life as he can given the circumstance. I want to scream, but I dare not, so I just reach deep inside and remember my mother never giving up, working till she dropped to raise the six of us and the tears she cried when she thought we didn't hear. I would like to share something I wrote a while back, they are just words, but they're words that have brought me through the darkest of times in my life and I dedicate them to my mother, who has never stopped giving.

Hope

There is nothing more heart wrenching than being alone in a crowd,
    but do not dispare,
    for I will gladly carry that torch for you,
    still the loneliness is there.
    We are kindred souls, you and I,
    and although we've never met;
    I have cried with you,
    I have ached with your pain,
    I have smiled with you in the face of emptiness,
    I have laughed with you to keep from dying,
    In your darkest moments,
    It is me you see in the shadows,
    giving you strength to face another day,
    I am eternal life,

I am HOPE!

David Easter 6/14/07

Words
    Words are all I have to offer,
    to all I hold so dear,
    and when you're down and out,
    I'm here to lend an ear,
    for life has no greater bounty,
    when love is always near.

David Easter 11/5/07

Good night all, may God bless you all with peace, love, compassion and hope....

</IMG></IMG></IMG>

David

I just realized that I posted the above in the wrong thread, being new I didn't know there was a thread for inspiration untill I posted here. Please forgive me, I will do better next time . Hopefully I brightened someones day anyway, have a good day!

David

WHITE HOUSE PROCLAIMS NATIONAL FAMILY CAREGIVERS MONTH

November 1, 2007 — A Proclamation By the President of the United States of America

Each year during National Family Caregivers Month, we celebrate all those who dedicate themselves to caring for others and recognize their efforts to comfort and improve the lives of their loved ones in need.

One of our Nation's defining values is compassion, and we must do our best to see that every citizen is treated with dignity and respect. Family caregivers demonstrate this compassion, often at great sacrifice, to assist with everyday activities for family members who are elderly, chronically ill, or disabled. This dedication contributes to a culture of caring and responsibility across our country.

My Administration remains committed to supporting family caregivers by enhancing their access to services, agencies, and other providers. Late last year, I signed "The Lifespan Respite Care Act of 2006," which establishes a program to assist family caregivers in accessing affordable and high-quality respite care. The National Family Caregiver Support Program encourages cooperation among agencies and other organizations that support and work with the family caregivers. This program offers information, training, and counseling to help family caregivers assist their loved ones.

National Family Caregivers Month is a time to recognize family caregivers for their good hearts and tireless support. Their love and devotion exemplify the true spirit of America.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim November 2007 as National Family Caregivers Month. I encourage all Americans to honor the selfless service of caregivers who support their loved ones in need.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this thirty-first day of October, in the year of our Lord two thousand seven, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-second.

GEORGE W. BUSH

To all those who have sacrificed more than most people will ever know, to take care of a loved one; HAPPY NATIONAL CAREGIVERS MONTH!!
    A pat on the back doesn't give you a break, but it helps to know someone cares.

David

Yahoo .. the Journal is celebrating 60,000+ page views ............... ..... how proud am I .... we may be a forum of few words (at times) but clearly .. there is an awful lot of silent viewers out there ..... that's fine with me ....

... of course hearing how your holidays went would be nice too ..... we ate too much turkey, holobchi and mashed pertaters at my sisters' house ..... and then of course Bill was sick as a dog for 2 days after from all the rich food .... but it was a good sick ...... maybe not ....
    on the other hand we did have a moment last Sat. nite ..... Bill came over to the new old little house and we threw together a really good pasta supper on the spur of the moment and just laughed our heads off for a couple of hours .. all our kids were home, we drank wine and just enjoyed "the moment" as sometimes happens ... we've learned to appreciate those precious times .... love to you all .... and merry holidays .......

Obieone
    Last edited by Obieone; 12-27-2007 at 11:42 PM.
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I posted a long post, an hour to type. CareCure logged me off and said this forum was not accepting posts. Growl. Will try when I am less frustrated.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

We had a milestone anniversary over the holidays as we celebrated a whole year without a surgery or hospital stay. Otherwise we ate too much, drank too much and spent time with family. Here's to the next year! May it be surgery free for all! Happy New Year!
    BeeBee

Hey, we're still here!

Today was the truly ugly Seattle weather -- cold rain that would turn to snow if only it were a couple of degrees colder. (At least then it would look pretty). Instead we get this dank grey drizzle, on and on, so that you have to keep the lights on indoors all day long.

I was thinking the other day about this thread, and how many thousands of new spinal cord injuries have happened to all those unsuspecting families since it began. I was thinking about how in my early days here the talk about a cure was so thinly attached to research . . . it all seemed tenuous and fragile and a long way off. I was thinking about the deep frustration of watching years pass while our best scientists were forced to beg for $$$ to do their work. Ah, and I'm thinking now that we're on the cusp of a whole new thing.

My kids have just about finished growing up. For a long time I was angry that they got robbed of so much childhood stuff by the injury -- little things like the walks not taken, the restaurants we couldn't get into, the camping trips we couldn't pull off. Now that the younger one is in her last year at home, it's easier for me to let go of that. It's past, and we managed to keep sane and mostly happy. They get to go to college and have their lives, so for them the injury and its ramifications gets ever more remote -- a good thing.

I hope that a lot of you are planning to find a way to make it to DC this April 13-15. Joyce, I'm talking to you! Jackie dear, Kath, Martha, all of you. There's no substitute, and I'm longing to meet so many of you face to face. If money is the issue, say so right here in this thread and maybe together we can figure out how to get it done. I have been broke plenty of times in my life, but this doesn't happen to be one of them . . . there's no shame attached to not having dough. You won't believe how amazing it is to be in the room when somebody like Wise or Stephen Davies or Hans Keirstead gets up to talk progress and take questions.

Anyway -- love to hear from anybody who's out there! Here's a photo from Christmas day.

Attachment 19668

Smile

First, Bernadette, are you okay? I'm sensing something........

Second, Jim and I are doing well, had a great, relaxed Christmas. Not having any other relations cuts down on the hustle and bustle. Friends have been in and out so our wine selection is getting under control! Here in Madison we are having the second highest snow levels ever and it's beautiful. We live across the street from a large park with one of the best sledding hills in the city so the sounds of fun are nice to hear. Our neighbors came and sang carols for us. In between all the shoveling the cookies are dissappearing fast and soon it will be ime for plain old chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies. I finally figured out how to get the snowblower started, YEA and an old friend came by to rake the roof. Taking a walk is almost like going through tunnels with the snow depth and it's getting harder to find space to put the snow. Beside our driveway the snow is 5 feet at least. Our neighbor went around the stores at the mall once I got him there to Christmas shop and said it was an illuminating experience to see the difficulties of getting around the stores with a powerchair. But they came up with some great things. We had a craft day to make gifts for parents with the neighbor kids-that was a blast.
    Jim is having some more lazer surgery on his left eye for retinopathy but it's outpatient and he can still read and watch movies. We have been very lucky not to have had any decubiti or other SCI problems for these seven years, oh gee, seven years! I feel funny saying we, but since I am his caregiver I guess it does affect us both.
    We finished remodeling the kitchen and are happy with the results. As soon as the Christmas decorations come down I can start the next project, I am definitely a project junky! I am entering our remodel to the Better Homes and Garden contest, hoping to win more money for a patio/landscape project next year. I did point out the access aspect of our redesign so maybe that will help our chances, since Universal design is becoming more important for us baby boomers.
    It's good to hear others are doing well. Obie, I never heard about the big move? I do miss the "old timers" from this thread but time goes on I guess. May you all have a mellow New Year. Deb