Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Well, I guess it's time for a real oldie to check in! Life this year is treating us well, overall, after our horrendous year last year. Matt is healthy, Chris and I both loving our jobs, and both working out of the house - how neat is that?!

Here's the new love in my life - Shiloh Shepherds, a rare breed in development, that's just the most awesome dog I've ever seen! Bred from the 'old style' German Shepherds - remember Rin Tin Tin, and bred for their intelligence, gentleness and size. I could go on and on - if you want more info, PM me and I'll give you some sites to check out. We're hoping to work with our future pup so she'll be able to help Matt out with things around the house - not full 'service dog' training, but just stuff he needs in particular. I also plan on getting her certified as a therapy dog - these dogs do so well in the nursing homes and hospitals - people don't have to reach down to pat them! : ) Here's a link to a few pics - http://picasaweb.google.com/jackieshiloh/MyShilohPics

Re the Bush veto - Hope no one actually expected anything different ! He's just an idiot - did anyone catch the last Bush blooper yesterday? 'Spina bifiditis'?

Obi, I bet your dog is just picking up, as you said, on the different smells; the fact that she's fine with him as time goes on means that she's just said, oh - that's Bill! When he gets home, she'll do just fine.

So great to hear we have all these young activists coming up! Hope their enthusiasm never fails -what an education they're getting in our government, how it works - or doesn't work!

We had an absolutely lovely visit with Dogger in April! What a great guy! - hours spent just chatting at the table!

Gotta run - (((((((((HUGS))))))))))) to all.

Marm~ Great pictures, nice to finally meet Matt after all these years. I had never seen a picture of him. Love the dogs, how many do you have total?

I expected no less for the veto but hoped for more. Unfortunately at 14 he expected more and got less. The pres just simply kept the fire in the 14 yo belly burning, for that I am grateful.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Tx! Should have clarified - we don't have any yet! We're going to wait until our blockheaded Catahoula crosses the bridge - don't want him teaching a young pup any of his 'tricks'! Blaze belongs to a woman in Wisconsin, Baer belongs to a friend in Savannah, and Whisper and Tazer belong to a woman in Tn who has a kennel. So I live to get my 'Shiloh fixes' by visiting and going to shows!

Jackie! That dog is gi-normous, geez. And your son is, um . . . I think the technical term is "gorgeous." So great to hear that you're all doing well. I'm jealous on 2 fronts . . .the working at home and the long visits with dogger.

Tx, Kate - The males usually go 32 inches at the shoulders!!! Oh - and Matt takes after his mom!

Time to post in the Journal!

I've been gone for such a long time, it seems. I felt a need, on this cool foggy morning in the mountains, to check in with my family here. I want to catch up on everyone's life...see how you all are doing.

I feel like my time here has passed; I'm not a caregiver anymore, not in the sense that I was. Bri is handling life in such a way that my throat closes up, and I smile with tears in my eyes. She is still at school, living in her own apartment, and doing so well in spite of all the SCI crap that dogs her life.
    Now it's her teeth...SCI, the gift that keeps on giving.

My dear husband (we met here on this forum, for those of you who don't keep track of my exciting life) and I are still up in the mountains, still very much in love, and happy. He has pain issues, of course, but all in all, things are going so well. My stepdaughter and her boyfriend just spent a week here with us, before the big move off to college. (Yes, that's right; two in college... )

So...I just wanted to say "hey" and now I think I'll go back to reading. Know that I'm sending good thoughts, wishes and prayers to all of you, even if I don't mention anyone by name!!

Vicky

P.S. Okay, one name: Marm, I love the dog pics!! I have two German Sheps, and I wouldn't trade them for the world. The Shilohs are beautiful too!

"Be kind...for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
    ~Philo of Alexandria

Hi Vicky! It's so good so see you! Literally too! Your new avatar is beautiful! I am so glad your daughter is doing well! I know you must be very proud!

Sorry about her dental problems though! I hope it's something that can be taken care of without too much distress!

Glad you and your husband are happy and in love! Two in college??? Wow! I don't even want to think about that!

It's good to hear from you! It sounds like things are going well for you and I am so happy to hear that!
    "I just want you to know, it was the best time ever." J.F.F.

WM, thanks! I hope things are well with you too...I've been gone so long, I'm really behind!!

I think we may have kids in college forever...HELP! They are so grateful for the help we're giving them; I just tell them to make sure and pick out a nice nursing home for us!

I am so proud of Brianna; that first year, even two years, I couldn't envision this life we have now. There IS light at the end of that damn tunnel. She's had some issues that slowed her down (blood clots, pressure sores, etc.) but she just keeps plugging on. I just stand in the background and quietly bang my head against the wall!!

Thanks for the "hello"--

~Philo of Alexandria

This is so awesome .... its wonderful to see you both back if only for a wee while even !!
    Vicky I'm so happy for Bri which translates that I'm happy for you too ... its hard enough letting them go (course we never really let them go .. do we ) and such a relief to know they truly can survive this life without us peeking over their shoulder .. doubly so for you .. you must be so proud.
    My Julie went to university for a year here on the prairies and then got bored and decided to try life in the fast lane in Calgary ... but guess what .. she's coming home maybe go back to school.. maybe not .. maybe just work .. whateva .. I don't care I'm so happy .. I've missed her so. She'll move in with her sister and they'll still be a couple of hours away ... but I can definitely handle that !! I hope and pray she goes back to her dancing.
    Besides now they can help me pack ... you may have read in the Well It's Sold thread we've had to sell ..... but its going to be okay ... if I keep telling myself that it's bound to make it so ... right ?
    And Wm its so good to see Elvis around again .... he pretty's up the place don't ya' know ..... please never change that avatar ....

By the way has anyone else noticed ..... over 50,000 hits on our Journal thread ..... holey tomoley .... yup I think we win .......

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Obie...Let go??? What's that??? I'm glad your girls will be closer to you.
    As for packing and moving...ugh. I did read your thread. What a pain. But, it's been my experience (and never more so since Bri's accident 8 years ago!!) that these things have a way of working out. The most bizarre good things come out of a seemingly crappy situation. I have a feeling this will be true for you folks as well.

If I know you, you will take your angels and your light with you wherever you go!

Vicky

~Philo of Alexandria