Page 105 of 137 FirstFirst ... 5559596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1364

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

cheese, link worked.

You know, I really do enjoy the sense of true and genuine friendship among you here.

martha, I know you asked how I've been and what's been happening in my world. I haven't ignored this, but am hesitant to share much that is too personal about me or my life on these forums (except personal sci related info relevant to a topic) - some due to violation of personal trust experienced here, as well as the attempts by members to take what I post to try using against me. Even if it isn't anything that would hurt or affect me much (since I'm purposeful in not posting anything public that would), simply the knowledge of these attempts is indication of what members here often do (even those some may consider trustworthy). Example is just in my last post in here even, where we regard this Journal as a place of solace and relative peace amidst a lot of the madness that go on around us, my post was immediately cut and pasted into another thread to use as attack. Some others have even gone as far to save a post I made a while back, they THOUGHT was my expressing depressive thoughts and contemplating suicide, and together with a little group of members try to use it against me through private messages to me. Of course, I wouldn't be so dumb to post publicly something like that, but just the attempt itself tells me what some members will resort to.

Despite this, I know these forums can be and have served as a wonderful and supportive community, especially for many who have had no other means of support. For most, who do share personally intimate details for advise and support, the community often is there to offer it. I am still glad when I see that. It doesn't have to be my personal experience to appreciate it.

ok, enough of this early morning ramble...

btw. Kate, never knew you were writing a book, let alone finished it! Wow, look forward to it coming out

Quote Originally Posted by chick
    cheese, link worked.

You know, I really do enjoy the sense of true and genuine friendship among you here.

martha, I know you asked how I've been and what's been happening in my world. I haven't ignored this, but am hesitant to share much that is too personal about me or my life on these forums (except personal sci related info relevant to a topic) - some due to violation of personal trust experienced here, as well as the attempts by members to take what I post to try using against me. ....................
    Chick I'm really sorry to hear that -- and sorry to hear that it still goes on. Of course I was aware that happened in that past to several (many?) people including me, but was hoping that things had changed. I guess some things never do.

If you ever feel like writing, my e-mail hasn't changed. Or PM me sometime. I felt we formed a bond at one time and I'd love to hear from you or if there is ever an ear or shoulder you need, I've got two of each! Feel free to use them! {{{{hugs}}}}

Bit reluctant to post this as I posted a few things awhile back and then life got crazy and I am just now checking back in, however... hopefully you'll excuse me if I pop in from time to time when there is time.

Wanted to say hello to everyone, too. My first time round here "things" got more than a little insane, to the point I didn't know who to trust and who not for the most part. I needed some distance from this forum, and it helped. I can step in ... or step out.. when it feels appropriate to me - not anyone else for any reason,or presumed reason. One thing I do know is that there are definitely some very fine people at CC, and many of them spend quality time on this caregiving forum. Kudos to you all, and thank you for always being kind to me.

Debbie has been through ups and downs. She's holding her own overall, and we still get out to flea markets or to have coffee or meet friends and such at times, though her energy levels prevent her from staying out too long. All things being equal, I call that damn good.

I'm in the middle of taking an STNA course - required if I"m to continue being Debbie's aide. I had considered changing jobs as we still struggle with financial concerns, but Debbie gets nearly panicky when she considers anyone else being here with her, so we'll stay the course as long as I can meet the bills.

Its great to hear what all of you have been doing. I do think of all of you from time to time, and I wish you all the best.

And Chick? An intelligent woman who uses her words well will always be seen as a threat to some. Hang tough.

Good to hear from you again Kendall. Keep popping in. Sometimes we pass a pipe, other times, coffee or a bowl of ice cream.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake
    Hey G/F. You started this thread back in the dark ages and now you just go and prance right in and stir this thread up again! I have to say, some of the people I have come to met and love are from this thread, and to think I have only met 3 of you! Kate, Marm and Lil'Sis! Time for a gathering, ladies and gents.
    You've met me too - briefly at the DC rally. I'm all for a weekend get away!!

Ami
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by chick
    Kate, never knew you were writing a book, let alone finished it! Wow, look forward to it coming out
    Yeah, well . . . I actually finished it a couple of years ago. I have a good agent who shopped it around the city of New York, only to be told repeatedly that although they thought it was a good story and told well, they just couldn't figure out how to market it.

I got somewhat discouraged.

I spent a year or so trying to figure out what to do with it that would be enough to convince someone to take a chance--in the end I realized that I didn't want to change it. It's the story I had to tell, and I knew I had done a good job, so screw them.

Then last April I went to DC for the rally . . . I was sitting in a room listening to rdf and jplw and Chris Chappelle and a few others telling their stories. Chris was like the moderator, and at one point he said that everyone in the room has a story, and that making our stories heard is one of the best ways to generate support for cure research.

I sat there feeling ashamed of myself. Here were these people in chairs who had sucked it up and done their part. They were up there doing what they could to make something happen. I had a freaking book sitting at home on my desk, gathering dust while I dithered about what to do with it.

At the break, I told Chris about my little epiphany, and he said something like, "Well, you know what to do, so do it." (Sorry, Chris, if I'm putting the wrong words in your mouth! All I really remember is that you were blunt and friendly. ) Bruce was there . . . he told me to give him the manuscript and he would figure out how to use one of the publish-on-demand houses to get it into print.

And that's what happened! Bruce did an amazing book design, including font, layout, and covers. I finally thought of the right title, and a number of my writer friends have done a careful copy edit of the draft.

The last steps are for Bruce to put the edits into the text, set up the isbn#, and then it will be available to everyone at the usual online bookstores.

I seriously love this book. It's a narrative about what happened in our family during the first year post-injury--kind of tough material, but then we are fairly tough people.

So, there you go, Chris. I promise you that next spring there will be a stack of them on the table, ready to be given to legislators. Chick, I'm hoping you're there to help us distribute them. It would be soooo cool to meet you.

Kate - Too cool!!

Way to go and congratulations to everyone that helped and contributed to your book - an amazing effort. I'm very proud to hear this and know you and Bruce.

As far as being blunt and friendly those two adjectives are rarely used together when someone is describing me lol. Usually it seems to be one way or the other haha. Personally I thank you for including me in your post

Having previewed the first 2 chapters

Ages ago when Kate was working to get the book published, I was able to review the first two chapters. There is a part that talks about Bruce and his height. This year in DC, when I met Bruce, one of the first things out of my mouth was, "Wow, you really are tall". The book story made a lasting impression.

The chapters I read are beautifully written and the story is a heart wrencher. Many of us have been there, either on the table or the other side.
    Sort of made my stomach topsy turvey.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake
    Sort of made my stomach topsy turvey.
    The rest of the chapters make it worth a little heart-in-the-mouth stuff, lol--remember the story of our ceiling falling in because I got mad and refused to call the roofers when Bruce was perfectly capable of calling them himself?

That kinda stuff is in there, too.

LOL, Kate, I remember the roof story, you posted it on line. I knew I loved you then, figured you were either one hard ass *itch, or you were gonna show Bruce he was more than capable. Amazing, as I remember, he learned and fast!

I still remember a chat room converstaion with you while you were cooking dinner,you were having aspargus (sp). All the while directing the homework crowd.

This journal Kate, it could make a book, chapters of how lives became intwined, lives crossed, supported, changed. I went to page 50 yesterday, that was the year anniversary of this thread.

Hell, this should be called a tapestary and not a thread, the stories are so beautifully woven, not always happy memories. Chad form Chicago and Julian, yet funny, a buch of "strangers" stood beside each other wiped tear, gave shoulders to lean on and laughed together. Kath from Ohio helped Martha make it through a rough night and Julian saw the next day. Bruce's amazing surgery got laid out here, and strangers called Washington, searching for Kate and Projector Guy..hell if we knew last names.

Amazing what grew out of this journal, before we knew it was called a blog....