Page 10 of 137 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Kate , way to go . now the hard work starts . tell him i am impressed .

wishing you both the best
    dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .

Hey Kate-You got it. After that initial burst, that's what recovery looks like. It's entirely too slow for my liking. Tell him congrats, OK? This chiropractor thing fascinates me. I've been afraid to go for fear it will make me into a REAL c5-6 instead of the "lurching around with 1 good hand one" that I am now. Has anyone heard any negatives re SCI and chiropractors? Betheny

Kate~

Your post brought tears to my eyes...how wonderful! Thank you for sharing this moment with us...what a blessing!

Vicky

Kate, that is fantastic! Congratulations and best wishes for Bruce's continued progress. Also glad to hear the therapist is helping you maintain your "self" and sense of humor. Sounds like you found one the good ones just when I was beginning to think they didn't exist!

Saturday afternoon

Home from the soccer game. Heather's team got beat again . . . she was matched against a very aggressive forward, the kind who uses lots of elbow--which is just part of the game, except the dumb ref kept calling fouls on Heather, twice when she'd been knocked to the ground. Her coach was foaming at the mouth! Oh well. She's learned to be mighty tough.

Tonight Emily and Bruce are going to a "Father/Daughter Cowboy Dance & Barbecue", a fundraiser for her school. Yesterday they went to the local version of Goodwill and bought plaid shirts and bandannas, plus he found a BODACIOUS pair of real cowboy boots, which fit him perfectly. He's so NOT a cowboy type! He's a video artist, and a techie, and a ski-bum. I can't wait to see him in the boots . . .

So, thanks for all your kind words. Dogger, you are the soul of good will, and everytime I see your name on a post I read it, just to get that little boost of happiness that comes from meeting up with a kind spirit. I'd like to hear some more about what the chiropractor did for your hands . . . Bruce LOST function in his right hand about 2 weeks post . . . before that he could still use it well enough to type, and then one day it was way slowed down, and then very quickly it was paralyzed. Now if he has botox in him, he can open the fingers but not close them, and if he doesn't have botox, he gets that claw thing going and can't open them. To this day, no doctors have been able to explain what happened. As usual, the yin and yang of SCI! Simultaneous amazing good luck (the left hand works fine) and bitterly inexplicable bad luck (he used to be right-handed, and a very good visual artist). So it goes.

Martha, are you back? Are you tanned and rested? I hope you do find a good therapist if you're still looking. I can't imagine having lived through the last 20 months without mine.

K

Yes, Kate, I got back today after a lengthy delay in Santiago and missing all my connections in Miami. But the trip was wonderful -- good business and a lot of fun as well. The country is beautiful and the people are very friendly. And the best part was coming home knowing there hadn't been any crises while I was gone. Santiago is "fairly" w/c accessible so I'll try to take my husband if I do go back in the autumn as planned. The coastal cities would be impossible -- all hills, cliffs and steps. My customer's brother-in-law is a lower "T" para and has also offered to show my husband around while I work so that could be good for him.

All in all, it was fantastic other than internet withdrawal.

Martha - Glad to hear you had a good trip, and soooooooooooo glad to hear you had a chance to just get away for a few days - even if it was business! BTW - you left out the most important part - how was the food? Whatja eat?!!

Kate - Bravo for Bruce! 'The journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step'. I can imagine the emotion when you saw him take that step. Also, like Martha, it's good to hear there are decent therapists out there (I was always sure there were, it just wasn't my experience at all); my two experiences left me angry and used. The first one told me I didn't have it all that bad - 'what if his injury was higher, like Chris Reeve, then you'd have even more work to do'????? The second was much more intrested in how Matt was doing emotionally, than in my issues. So I pretty much bah, humbugged the whole deal, and took care of myself.

Vicki - Is is as cold in WVA as it is here? It's frigid to say the least! Matt's got the heat up to about 80 in his room, and is all bundled up like a little kid in a snowsuit!

Our house has been rather quiet - We're on 'hospice' care for one of our cats - Bif - who's 17, and has an intestinal tumor that's metastasized to his liver. There's not anything that can be done; he doesn't seem to be in pain, but isn't eating, and barely drinking. He was hubbie's cat before we were married, so any decisions will be up to him. It's hard watching Bif deteriorate, and I'd much rather remember him when he was his crazy old self, than what he's like now. We lost hubbie's other cat last year - old age and kidney failure - so I know what he's going through, and how hard it is for him. These were his 'babies', when he first moved away from home, and were his only 'buds' in the new city he moved to.

Have to go start my day, just wanted to check in with y'all! Jackie

Jackie, I was surprised to find that they don't seem to have a lot of local specialties. The Chilean food isn't particularly spicy as I expected though they use some chili peppers for sauces -- just not the super hot ones. They eat a lot of seafood which is fresh and excellent (clams, abalone, conger eel, all sorts of fish) and they eat a lot of steak which is also excellent. Wonderful fresh fruits and vegetables and those people are crazy about desert!!! And yet most of them are so thin and gorgeous.

Martha~Welcome back! I'm glad you had such a good time. Isn't it heavenly to know there were no crises? Reading your post, I decided that was probably one of the best parts...it would allow you to just relax and enjoy! Hard getting back into the routine, though, isn't it?

Jackie..it's FREEZING!! I had to laugh at your description of Matt...that's Bri!! She's taking Business Law online from a community college back in Michigan (in order to maintain her SSI...LONG story) and it started this week. So guess who is SELDOM gonna be online until May?? Oh well, it's good to see her using her brain, unlike her mother, who is vegetative and loving it...

My goal this coming week is to find someone here in the frigid south that can cut my hair. I've let it go, being busy and all, and I've decided I look like the love child of Bozo the Clown and Kramer, from Seinfeld. We're going back to Michigan next week...I better get this taken care of!

Vicky

Kate , i can't really remember what the chiropractor did to my hands . just that after he had finished with my shoulders , arms and hands , for about 5 minutes i could flex them quite normally . this happened during each visit . sorry i can't be more helpful .
    have you got Bruce out of his boots yet ? tell him to take his spurs off before he goes to bed , they get tangled in the bedsheets .

thank you
    dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .