Page 89 of 137 FirstFirst ... 39798081828384858687888990919293949596979899 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Originally posted by Betheny:

***Raises hand***

Lightnin' bugs. Central Kansas.

I always wondered why Houston didn't have them...

"...I mean the wheelchair would be a thing in the past
    And us quads can talk about the past and laugh"-Professirx
    http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

Beth, I have no scientific proof that it was the mosquito foggers that killed out the lightning bugs in Houston but that's the only thing that made sense to me. If anyone really knows, I'd be curious.

I miss fireflies.

I grew up in WV and it was favorite pasttime - playing among the flies. There were literally so many of them that we could see at night via the greenish glow.

Montana doesn't have them. Hubby didn't know what they were. We went to a star party back home and he was freaked out by the "glowing green things" until I told him what they were. He was facinated. LOL

WM
    Okay, since Russ admitted it so will I! While I don't want to give my home state on the internet, I will say, that I live in one of the "lightening bug states"! Yes, we call them lightening bugs here too! Wasn't going to "go there", but didn't want Russ to be the only "hick"! (At least YOU can say "were a hick" Russ, I "still am a hick"! LOL!! )

LOL...still a hick here as well...as my accent shows constantly.

Bethany and Martha, I asked my Grandmother and she says there were lightning bugs here in Houston, but she believes the mosquito trucks have killed them too. (Too bad they don't kill the mosquitos:&gt )

Russ Byrd

Originally posted by russell:

LOL...still a hick here as well...as my accent shows constantly.
    You wanna talk accent -- when I called the hospital waiting room to talk to Kate this afternoon, I couldn't make the lady that answered the phone understand I was saying "Kate"! I finally spelled it! And I thought I sounded so worldly!

Originally posted by martha:

You wanna talk accent -- when I called the hospital waiting room to talk to Kate this afternoon, I couldn't make the lady that answered the phone understand I was saying "Kate"! I finally spelled it! And I thought I sounded so worldly!
    mine is horrible especially when i am tired or have talked to folks back home. Ted has me enterpret NASCAR commentary for him -- "what'd he say!?!?!?"

Originally posted by martha:

You wanna talk accent -- when I called the hospital waiting room to talk to Kate this afternoon, I couldn't make the lady that answered the phone understand I was saying "Kate"! I finally spelled it!
    Hon, that woman was very nice, but she may not have been the sharpest knife in the drawer . . . I understood you perfectly, and I really, really appreciated the call. You have no idea how much it lifted us both up to be suddenly to talking with YOU!

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain

Bethany and Martha, I asked my Grandmother and she says there were lightning bugs here in Houston, but she believes the mosquito trucks have killed them too. (Too bad they don't kill the mosquitos:&gt )
    Russ Byrd
    Did anyone else run behind the mosquito truck in the fog? We did because the mist was cool and the weather was HOT. I can't believe we dont' all have 3 heads from that stuff.

Kate,thanks. It was great to talk to you and Bruce finally!

Kate thank you for the beautiful poem! I'm going to print that and stick it on my desk at work to help get me through the day!

Russ, I am so glad you still claim your "hickedness"! I'd hate to think we'd lost one of the fold!

As for accents, I love Southern accents. Martha, don't feel bad! I have such a heavy accent that sometimes people in my OWN state can't understand me!

Jadis you are right about NASCAR and accents! In fact, while I love to watch the races, I also love to listen to some of the guys accents! Especially the ones from the more northern Southern states! So pretty!

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song."
    Maya Angelou

Martha...steve remembers chasing the "fog trucks" with his sister on their bicycles....I tend to think this explains a lot about their family problems ...LOL

Russ Byrd

Martha...steve remembers chasing the "fog trucks" with his sister on their bicycles....I tend to think this explains a lot about their family problems ...LOL

Russ Byrd
    ROFL! Tell Steve it probably explains a lot about my family as well. He didn't grow up in east Texas did he?