Page 87 of 137 FirstFirst ... 37777879808182838485868788899091929394959697 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Happy 35th Birthday Kate

Hope you have a wonderful day and not too much of a "heavy head" tomorrow.

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles"....C. Reeve 1998

Kate, happy belated birthday!

Hope everyone is doing well...I finally convinced Steve to let me adopt another husky dog...this one is already trained and I am told would make a good therapy dog. Maybe we can visit patients at the rehab :&gt

Including a link to his pictures in case I can't figure out how to post one.

Chester

Russ Byrd

Russ, he's beautiful! Congratulations! But I need more details -- how old, was he a rescue or what?, sounds like you have more huskies?.

Re taking him to rehab, I think that's a wonderful idea. That was our favorite day at TIRR -- I think it was Thursday's that they brought the dogs from the volunteer group (how quickly the mind goes -- can't remember the name) to visit and maybe Wednesday they brought all sorts of critters from the zoo. But the best part of TIRR was that after getting the paperwork in order, we got a hall pass for our last remaining guy from the original pack of three to visit. He was tentative going in at first -- probably the smells. But when we got to the 4th floor where Julian was and within about 10 feet of Julian's room, he ran right in, sniffed a few seconds, picked Julian's bed out of the 4 in the room and hopped right up in the middle of it. Julian was thrilled when he got back from the gym to find Bones laying in the middle of his bed.

We lost Bones shortly after that, but now I'm the adoptive mother of 6 rescues! And I swore I'd never bring myself to fall in love with a dog again. Yikes!

Martha, thanks..he is a two year old rescue from Husky Haven....he had already been adopted by a wonderful lady who taught him all of these commands..but six months after adopting him, she discovered she had advanced brain cancer and decided to give him up. I told the people at Husky Haven that I could take him to visit her if she would like that.

It is great that he is cat friendly, because most Huskies think all small animals are prey

My female husky is 8 yrs old and was raised from a pup around the cat.

Last night was his first night here...and things went great..they played for hours before finally collapsing..This morning they are at it again.

Wow...six rescues? I would love to have more but Steve would kill me :&gt

I did freak out my older sister, by telling her that his green eye was donated by his previous owner because he was blind in that eye..., and that he didn't know any of these tricks until after the eye was transplanted :&gt

Russ Byrd

[This message was edited by russell on 06-19-05 at 06:02 PM.]

How Wonderful! And how sweet of you to take him back to visit his prior "friend" (we don't really "own" them, do we!) Your sister sounds about as gullible as I am. I would have believed every word! One thing I've noticed is that the younger ones have kept the older ones much more active -- hopefully it slows the aging process. Sounds like yours is going to do the same. Enjoy!

Russ, congrats on your new kid! He's a beautiful dog, I had thought huskies had longer hair. I about died laughing at your poor sister=reminded me of Jim telling a girlfriend, years ago, that to save money we would waterski behind a canoe and she swallowed it! A new pet brings so much fun into the house, and free entertainment too.
    Deb

Russ-
    I hope you'll take him to TIRR. Dog Day was the highlight of my week when I was there.

I hope you'll put him on the bed when people want. It's really frustrating to try to pet them but you can't feel with your fingers. I wanted them up by my face.

"...I mean the wheelchair would be a thing in the past
    And us quads can talk about the past and laugh"-Professirx
    http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

Martha, I am worried my original husky has more energy than the pup...she keeps wearing him out..but they still are doing fine together. I am curious as to when I should introduce toys for them to play with without starting a fight.
    Any pointers?

Thanks Deb...some Huskies do have longer hair...the website posted shows one at the foster home where he lived..they are referred to as woolies....but even the short haired models create a veritable snowstorm when you brush them this time of year.

Bethany, I enjoyed the therapy dog days at TIRR, but Steve did not respond to any of them but our own when I finally got a pass to let her visit. Because of his brain injury, Steve's bed was on the floor with one of those padded walls all around it. I would just put her in there and she would lay at his feet. One thing that still gets me..in those days when he was confused about names of people ,(even mine)...when I brought her to visit him for the first time in 7 months he had seen her after the accident, he yelled out Seska! and knew her immediately. Funny how pets seem to occupy a different place in our minds.

Russ Byrd

So many studies have shown amazing benefits of having pets -- I think your story about Steven and Seska is a beautiful example!

Sorry, I'm no help on dog toys. Mine just eat any toys I get them. And sticks. And rocks. And bedding. And plants. And anything else they can get their mouths around. The little darlings.

Martha, did they eat the moles?