Page 135 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3585125126127128129130131132133134135136137 LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 1364

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    Where is L'sis?

FYI, everytime my boys get sick,and we are sitting up against the wall using the nebulizer, I come back to this online journal and how you all saved me that winter very long ago.

If my now teens knew "passing the pipe" started with their mom, they would be shocked!
    Put this on the list of "Things I'll Tell My Kids When They're 21, God Willing." I was always afraid this huge list would put my son on the road to ruin. On the contrary, he seems to have caught a glimpse of that actual road as I shared, and is careening less now.

Or maybe that's the diversion program working?

The only thing I know for sure is I am never bailing anybody out again. It's not worth the personal loss of freedom. Having to ask a judge for permission to go to mother-in-law's/grandma's bedside or funeral is just too much. Never again.

I was thanked lost night by a 21-yr-old living on my couch. He says I've helped him more than anyone ever, in the world. All I've done is shared my home, my food, my smokes and made him listen to my stories.

He says "You're the oldest person I know. you have knowledge"

That's right. I'm older than your grandmother, Jack. I know you grow up on The Wire and in 6 foster homes, saw your 1st murder before you were 16, now you have to listen to me.

MOST refreshing!

Oh, my dearest friends, hello! I came here tonight looking for information to help me with my mothers recovery from a stroke and stress induced heart attack 6 weeks ago. Mom is 81 years old and was still working part time until the day this happened. As her doctor likes to say Mom is a firecracker with a wonderful sense of humor, which has been preserved despite her current challenges.

A quick update about us....our daughter Alison was married 2 months ago and Dave and she danced a fabulous father/daughter dance to the Ohio State fight song Sloopy. It was totally unrehearsed and so much fun. Alison and her father share a love of sports and so it was joyful and very appropriate. Dave jiggled his chair and did all the fun hand movements. I, on the other hand kept misspelling Ohio, very uncoordinated, sad to admit. Dave has said this was his happiest day and I agree.

Alison and her husband live and work in Chicago. She is very active volunteering her time with the Chicago Chapter of the Christopher Reeve Foundation. Our son Chris ran in the Chicago Marathon last year to raise money for the Christopher Reeve Foundation; Alison's husband Mike and his friend Scooter ran this year, all together they have raised thousands, we are so proud of them!

Dave is now 62 years old, he has recently returned to physical therapy 2 times a week and now back to walking in the parallel bars (my Mom too).

I miss you all and would truly love to reconnect!
    Kath

Quote Originally Posted by KDK513 View Post
    Oh, my dearest friends, hello! I came here tonight looking for information to help me with my mothers recovery from a stroke and stress induced heart attack 6 weeks ago. Mom is 81 years old and was still working part time until the day this happened. As her doctor likes to say Mom is a firecracker with a wonderful sense of humor, which has been preserved despite her current challenges.

A quick update about us....our daughter Alison was married 2 months ago and Dave and she danced a fabulous father/daughter dance to the Ohio State fight song Sloopy. It was totally unrehearsed and so much fun. Alison and her father share a love of sports and so it was joyful and very appropriate. Dave jiggled his chair and did all the fun hand movements. I, on the other hand kept misspelling Ohio, very uncoordinated, sad to admit. Dave has said this was his happiest day and I agree.

Alison and her husband live and work in Chicago. She is very active volunteering her time with the Chicago Chapter of the Christopher Reeve Foundation. Our son Chris ran in the Chicago Marathon last year to raise money for the Christopher Reeve Foundation; Alison's husband Mike and his friend Scooter ran this year, all together they have raised thousands, we are so proud of them!

Dave is now 62 years old, he has recently returned to physical therapy 2 times a week and now back to walking in the parallel bars (my Mom too).

I miss you all and would truly love to reconnect!
    Kath
    Kath~ It is so good to see you post ere. Even though we stay in touch--it is nice to catch you back in Kate's thread. Lots of news about others, little about you. Hugs,
    B~
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Hi KDK - it's always a little dangerous when an "old timer" pops in to say "Hey" because what inevitably happens is I end up taking a stroll down memory lane reading through this thread - and before I know it an hour has gone by and I have got nothing done ! But it's okay - there are so many happy memories here that mostly over shadow the sad ones that were made easier to bear because of the support and encouragement found right here !

I hope you don't mind the reference to being called an old timer Kath - it was meant in the kindest way - it's so nice to hear from you again !! Moving on is part of the cycle of our lives here - and it is kind of nice to know CC is still here for those who have and that you still feel a little of the connection that bound us all so closely together so long ago !

Be well !!

Obieone
    Last edited by cheesecake; 04-06-2013 at 01:04 AM. Reason: quad hand on snart pbone error. sorry
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Let's Catch Up

Huge sigh, where to begin? OK, how about with today? After much research we moved Mom to what seems to be a truly wonderful place today. She will continue her recovery at a nursing home in Cincinnati which we believe to be a perfect fit for her. She is the kind of Mom who would go down the slide at the local pool when all the other Moms only went in the pool for the adult swim and would not get their hair wet. She is the woman that everyone at hospital was sad to see leave. We purchased games to play with her to help her recovery and her last day at hospital Mom shot the hospital administrator with a Nerf gun and he laughed hilariously. She has such a beautiful smile (not crooked anymore). Her reputation has preceded her and everyone came by to say hello at her new home. They shared that they can't wait to play games with her. That's my Mom and I love her!

What's going on with me? I'll share later.

Dave's wife

Hi, I am new to the site and so clad a found the Caregiving forum. Wow. I am not a special person and I don't do anything especially wonderful and I didn't do anything esspecially awful for my husband to need taken care of. It was not gift nor a punishment from God. Poop happens and my husband and the car he was driving stepped in it and I got caught in the splash back. Long story short, car versus semi, semi won. Semi not even owned by a huge company, one man, two trailers. That was 9 years ago. We have a daughter, 18. I have two and he has 1. ages 38,33, and 59. I am 58 and husband is 77, 68 at time of injury. Between us 9 grandkids and 2 great grandkids. I was married the first time for 18 years. He was married 39. Both our spouses died. Lets see, one dead, one a quad. Not gonna going to do it again.
    Last edited by daves wife; 11-24-2011 at 03:21 AM. Reason: additonal

Anyway, it was nice to find a caregiver forum. Recently Dave has been in nursing home for a short stay while I took break. Meaning until I could get an MRI on my lower back and a shot for the bursitus in my hip. Thank you oh evil quad monkey. Anyway, the nursing home refused to do dig stem and I was looking for information to see if anyone else has had this type of problem. It was also a merry run around to get his lift ordered. Seems our friendly nurses didn't actually think it needed a script. Hmmmmm. Anyway, by now I am frazzeled and he is in bed, meded and digited and anitifungused and inspected for pressure wounds and turned and if I get this written with less than 4 calls for something it will be a record. Not complaining, just the way it is.
    All you caregivers know. The attacking mysquito, the nasal or ear hair, the pains in the back ad legs etc. And at 77 he forgets which one has already been taken care of. He is a wonderful person and never complains but is very needy. Imagine that, and with a half glass of wine sneaked away after his tea totaler highness is safelty tucked in bed I am babbleling on and on. So thank you all for taking the time to read this and if you are nodding your heads, God Bless you, and if you are laughing, He already has and if you are frowning and picking at my spelling and grammer, oh well, at least you have something to do and I know you are out there and may God bless you too.

Welcome Dave's Wife - the Journal was started many moons ago as a reminder for everyone to check in now and again - so thanks for checking in - sorry to read about the losses in your life - there is a thread here about contingency plans for exactly the sort of thing as happened to you. We have to take care of ourselves too using whatever resources are available to us !!

Keep posting - it's good for your health !!

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone View Post
    Welcome Dave's Wife - the Journal was started many moons ago as a reminder for everyone to check in now and again - so thanks for checking in - sorry to read about the losses in your life - there is a thread here about contingency plans for exactly the sort of thing as happened to you. We have to take care of ourselves too using whatever resources are available to us !!

Keep posting - it's good for your health !!

Obieone
    I stumbled into this forum by accident and what a flashback. Accidentally hit edit on a post by O ie, damn spastic quad hands.
    We used the pipe a lot this winter and since my "baby" is now 15 he was more compliant when I called it a pipe. Whatever works sometimes.
    So many folks have moved on, success stories and lives changed. Miss you old timers. Welcome newbies. This is a good group of people.
    Every day I wake up is a good one