Page 1 of 137 123456789101151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Lightbulb Kate's On Line Journal

Hey All !!

With so many new members joining our community I thought maybe it would be a good idea to make our "Journal" a sticky so it doesn't get lost on the board .. and it might serve as a gentle reminder for everyone to check in now and again! I don't know about the rest of you but I love to hear how everyone is doing even if its only a line or two ... its easy to get stuck behind that rock .. I know .. I slip back there myself from time to time ... the only request I have is you either bring the ice cream or an Enya cd ... the "pipe" is kinda nice sometimes too ... never forget this is our "Sanctuary" ...

Obieone

---------------------------------------------------------------------------Posted by Kate:
    I've thought sometimes it would be fun to have a kind of online shared journal, like an ongoing conversation to engage us daily with the bigger world.

There's more, but I have to take the wash out of the dryer, and my daughter needs help with her algebra, and dinner is not yet on the table, and the dog is looking hungry . . .my daughter is 14, the dog is a golden retriever named rocky, dinner is ham and corn and I don't yet know what else, and I'm writing from the northwest corner of the united states, in a small city called bellevue which is near the headquarters of microsoft . . . that's my online journal entry for today!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kate, personally I think you have a wonderful idea! I hope you don't mind that I started a topic for it. Sharing daily experiences, both good and bad, would be cathartic for me as well as enjoyable in getting to know everyone better.

Today wasn't a particularly great one. Husband is having a LOT of UTI's again, many accidents day and night and my migraines are coming more often. But that's part of life I guess. Also, in addition to my own two dogs (female black lab and male golden retriever) I'm fostering two wonderful beasts that need a good home. A big chocolate lab mix and a big fuzzy who-knows-what. they aren't totally house broken, so between all of them I've spent way too much time doing extra laundry and shampooing furniture and carpets daily. Without a yard, it's a handful and frankly the combo of dogs and husband are driving me nuts!!!!! (he says it's a short drive).

martha

*Time may be a great healer but it's a lousy beautician!*
    Last edited by Obieone; 06-20-2007 at 05:00 PM.

I like this idea too!

Okay, I'm moving next Saturday, and I should be packing boxes, but I had to stop for a quick hit of caffeine and to see what was going on here. Is it just me, or are we caregivers getting our steam back? [In a mild, "I'm still always busy" kind of way...]

I've mentioned before that I'm in the middle of a divorce. My soon-to-be ex just suggested we go through all the Christmas ornaments, ONE BY ONE, and reminisce about each one. Just shoot me now!! He's the king of guilt trips. I waited for him to leave for work, and I'm now splitting them up faster than any atom was EVER split, believe me!

On the bright side, I found an old Dixie Chicks CD which my daughter had; anybody familiar with their song "Sin Wagon?" It's my new theme song!!

"He pushed me 'round, now I'm drawing the line,
    He lived his life, now I'm gonna go live mine...
    I'm sick of wasting my time!
    Well, I've been good for way too long,
    Found my red dress, I'm gonna throw it on...
    'Bout to get too far gone!" And so it goes....

Back to packing and sorting...
    Vicky

Vicky!

Congratulations on finding the strength to do what is right for you!!!! It's so hard even if it's the right thing. I don't envy you the packing, but I do envy you the new adventures! Where are you moving to? It's the same hassle whether it's across the street or across the country, so good luck! As far as the "splitting" music, I always thought Carole King's "It's Too Late" was the perfect song! This may have been before your time though.

martha

Thanks!

Any and all words of encouragement are welcome! Carole King's "Tapestry" came out when I was a freshman in high school; I think I could still sing the whole album with just a prod here and there! That is a great song as well.

My daughter and I are moving to West Virginia; she'll be attending WVU [if all goes well, knock on wood, hold your breath, etc.] beginning in the spring. And yes, moving IS a hassle! Where did all this crap come from, anyway?? And I'm actually putting it in boxes??!!!?

I'm in the process of convincing the insurance company that Brianna needs another shower chair and other equipment, for home and for college. Makes sense, doesn't it? Who wants to drag their shower chair home for the weekend? Wish me luck on this endeavor!

Vicky

back to the desk, finally--

and here you are, Martha and Vicky, being entertaining. "Just shoot me now!" and Carole King . . . why is it not the "i feel the earth move" song we go to??

Just a few things-

We're having odd weather for the Pacific Northwest in Nov/Dec--clear and 50-ish, which makes it hard to convince myself that I really do need to think about Christmas. Not that relentless rain (our usual fare at this time of year) gets me in a holiday mood.

Spousal unit and I had one of those really amazing sessions with our excellent therapist this morning. Came away feeling high on the good vibes between us, calm and grounded. I'm lucky to be married to this sweet man . . .

Martha, what is up with taking in dogs not housetrained?? We took months to get up the nerve to adopt our first (and so far, only) dog, and then, boy, was he carefully trained.

Vicky, we have a shower chair not in use . . . but wouldn't have a clue how to get it all the way to you. Do you have any friends about to relocate from Seattle who have room for such a monster?

Have to go and tutor this lovely 10th-grader. She hates math. Don't they all?

See you!

You ladies are great! This thread is a wonderful idea, and I hope the rest of the community treats it with the respect it deserves.

We all have lives; most of our lives revolve around caregiving, but it's nice to just talk about life in general!

Kate - Thank you! I always wondered if 14 year old girls are as foreign as 14 year old boys. The boys go 'Neanderthal' - where, until the age of 12 or 13, they all spoke perfectly good, understandable English, all of a sudden everything is a gutteral grunt. 'How are you doing, son?' 'Unh'. The phone rings - he answers it - 'yeah?'. I used to shake my boys, look in their eyes, and say 'What have you done with my son? I know he's in there somewhere!' Fortunately they hit late adolescence and early 20's, and became part of the human race again!

Vicky, Where in WVA will you be? I Love that state! You KNOW you have to play John Denver's song all the way down! Oh - um, do you know how to make biscuits - or cook a country ham?

Martha, my dear - WHY are you vacuuming and laundering every day? If the doggies aren't housebroken, confine 'em! Then teach the little buggers where they have to go - wave a catheter around in front of them, maybe they'll get the picture!

I know I told Martha I wouldn't get back here til Sunday, but ended up not going in to work today because of the snow; got about two miles down the road at 7:30 am and just started getting that hinkey feeling; plus Matt's aide didn't show up today, so he would have been by himself all day. Sooo, made major inroads on my catering gig for the weekend today.

I just started this new job at a children's rehab hospital, doing transcription. All sorts of disabilities there, ages newborn to teens; SCI, cerebral palsy, TBI, spina bifida and some I'd never heard of! Interesting work, good pay!

Well all, keep on keepin' on! Anybody else get snowed in? jackie

To:SciMom

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!

I know what you are going through with the divorce thing. I am right there in it too. No looking back with the ornaments either!! I had a new one made last weekend...it is a candy cane with three bears on it, one with my name, and the others with the kids names. At the very top I had him write: "onward..."

NO LOOKING BACK!

Best Wishes I like this thread,

Mary

I am so far behind I think I am first....

On line journal

Since my 'real' job is at a dog training center - I agree, get a crate, put the little buggers on a schedule and they will soon figure things out. I have 4 foster dogs here right now - they all came out of the shelter in the last 3 days. Have had no potties in the house and after the first couple of days they have learned 'outside hurry'. We hit the back yard and they hurry, 20 minutes of play, 15 minutes of obedience training then back in the crate for 2 hours. Then start over again. Should have them house broke by saturday, doing reliable downs and sits and fairly good heels by Monday.

Mary...a Sister in Arms!

I loved the description of your new ornament! Onward says it all, doesn't it?
    I'm listening to myself for a change; to that little voice inside my head which keeps telling me that it's OKAY to think about myself. That it's not selfish or greedy. This is a change that was long overdue, and while it's not always easy, it is SO right.

You have younger children, I believe. That can make a divorce so much more emotional. If you ever need a shoulder, email me! We can start our own support group

Kate, thanks for the offer of the shower chair. Bri is spending two weeks at Craig in January, and I think they're going to recommend a shower chair..which I hope to order and have delivered to us. I think I can convince the insurance that this is reasonable.

And to Marmalady...I can make corn bread...does that count?? My father's people are from Tennessee, so I'm only half Yankee! WVU is in Morgantown, of course, and I'll be living in Valley Head, which is about 3 hours away. A nice distance, as Bri doesn't want Mom "dropping in" all the time!

Vicky

WOW

So many people making so many important changes in their lives! Vicky's move, Kate's decision to quit teaching, Jackie's new position at the childrens' rehab center and probably many more I've missed. Best wishes and good luck to everyone! I'm thrilled for everyone and at the same time envious of the new adventures. Makes my life feel even more mundane than usual which is really hard to do!

Tag, unfortunately I tried the crate thing with my last adoptee. I couldn't stand that constant howling and barking so it didn't last long. I'm getting too attached to these guys too quickly -- need to find them a home NOW more than I need to train them. They're big boys and I just can't handle all four plus you know who, so......it's either a home or a no-kill shelter for some of them soon. I'm not saying which ones.

martha