Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Quote Originally Posted by dogger
    Me say something ??? NEVER ! I'm just sitting here quitely minding my own business . I've been pretty much speechless since reading this ! I don't think I'm quite built right for a red spandex jumpsuit or a sparkly birthday suit !
    Lol - just thought of you, as you lead us down this magical mystery tour road with your delightful stories and observations on life!
    Last edited by dogger; 12-15-2006 at 06:25 PM. Reason: to fix ''quote''

So - What - I come back on and everyone else leaves, lol? Where is everybody?!! Hope all are out playing Santa and that all is well!

Quote Originally Posted by marmalady
    So - What - I come back on and everyone else leaves, lol? Where is everybody?!! Hope all are out playing Santa and that all is well!
    Marm, hope Matt is doing much better and things are calming down for you. This time of year I think of your wonderful talents in the kitchen and conjure up images and smells that take me back to better times. I hope you're able to enjoy the holidays.

Tough week here -- those anniversaries just keep on showing up year after year -- a bitter sweet mixture of memories wonderful and horrible. Tomorrow I'm leaving on a 'road trip' -- first stop my oldest brother's place near Atlanta for a family pre-xmas get together for the first time in MANY MANY years. Then on up to VA for business meetings, then back on Tues. Should be about 2500 miles in 4 days but I actually enjoy being on the road alone so kind of looking forward to it.

Hope everyone has a great weekend with no challenges!

Tx, Martha - good to know someone's 'on board'!

We actually in the middle of a minor crisis here - Matt developed a pretty severe tinea outbreak in rehab - go figure, appalling nursing care re washing, etc. It's threatening the healing wounds so we're a bit on pins and needles. FYI - We have an appointment with the hospital nursing administrator next week, with a whole list of complaints!

My baking this year is so scattered; it's mainly going to be a 'gooey butter cake' Christmas, with variations - no time to do the usual 10-15 varieties of cookies.

Thought I would post an update here. First off Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday's to all of you. I consider you family, wish we could be together for the holidays. Never the less, you are like the rest of my family, spreak across the US.

It is really winter, you know how I know? We are back to passing the pipe in the house again. The guys (hubby and 2 sons) are down and out with some awful virus, fever, upper respiratory infection. It is pretty epidemic here, so bad that the State School for the Blind closed to try to stop the spread.

With the URI in our house comes the pipe. The guys are taking turns and passing it amongst themselves. Everyone is exhausted, aches and has high fevers. Being the only healthy one right now as well as working, shopping, trying to wrap and cook.....well I don't think this is too fun. Tonight out of desparation, I caved and bought McDondals, something that is pretty scarce in our house. I passed on dinner but for the guys, it was the first they had eaten in 2 days.

Right now, the youngest is asleep on the couch downstars with me. I sure as hell hope he sleeps thru the night because there is no way I am going to be able to get him up 2 flights of stairs. I came down here to do some gift wrapping in solitare but the little guy had other ideas. He is feeling afraid so wanted to be near mom.

This may be the first year I don't finish shopping. I have 2 large in size gifts that I need to pick up, but with hubbie down for the count, I am hoping my neighbor can help me pick them up and get them inside. The little guy wants a keyboard that teaches you how to play, the teen is getting a Gaming chair wired for iPod as well as his games. Both are heavy and awkward in size. The folks at BJ's are good about putting things in the car, unfortunately they won't travel the 5 miles home with me to get it into the house. I don't have a fricking clue where to hide these things. Grandparents, they get the kids great gifts, I just have to sort out the details.

Santa arrived last week in his fire engine. The sceen was very different from the one I wrote about 3 years ago. The little one went up to the corner, trying to act cool, looking for the fire engine. He ran part of the block waving at Santa and shouting Merry Christmas. When he came into the house, he proclaimed, "That's not the real Santa, he is just a fake". Ah well, he still believes some but I fear for not much longer. My teen urged everyone outside but stayed back and acted cool. He knocked on our neighbors door (single mom with a 2 and 4 yr old) to be sure the toddlers got to see Santa. When the 4 year old boy was slow at getting downstais, the Teen went inside and carried him to the front steps, all the while asking what he wanted from Santa. I think the teen knows it isn't much longer for the little guy to believe so he is going to stoke the fires for the little kids next door.

We had to buy a Santa Key for the front door. A Hallmark invention I am sure. It is a magical key that Santa uses for those houses without chimneys. It allows Santa entry. The reindeer glitter and oats and sparkle food has been prepared and is ready to litter my lawn. SOme things stay the same.

Tomorrow we (teen son and I) have to figure out how to string the lights on the tree. We have half of the tree with lights and went to buy more the night hubbie fell ill. He slep 23 of the last 24 hours so I amplanning to attempt something new. Won't be perfect but hopefully it will be fun. I also think Santa is going to leave most of his gifts unwrapped this year....unless some elves show up tonight while I sleep.

That's the update from my corner of the woods. Hope to hear from others real soon. Whose next to chime in? Vickie? Is Bri home?
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Bernadette, how wonderful!

Here's the scene in Bellevue, Wa . . .

I'm trying to get our wash done--mine and Bruce's, I mean, because the girls have long since preferred to do their own. My method is to do all the sorting and folding up in the living room where the tree is glowing with those old-timey colored lights. Also that's where TIVO keeps all the shows we love on tap for the odd moment when we have time to watch them.

While I sorted wash, I saw Bill Kristol on the Daily Show. While I folded the first dry load, I saw some of Deepak Chopra on Stephen Colbert. Our 16-year-old left a little while ago with my debit card and the keys to the Honda in her hands. Our college student is home for three weeks--at this moment she's in the kitchen with her boyfriend sneaking snuggling sessions while her laptop provides background music. I'm pretending not to notice.

She's the one who was determined to hold on to Santa for as long as she possibly could. She makes sure we do the traditional things, like listen to cheesy songs while putting the ornaments on the tree and choosing names for Santa presents . . . after she learned the truth about Santa, she insisted that we be Santa to one another. We have this ridiculous ceremony every December in which the 4 of us choose names from a hat, trying not to get our own. It always takes 2 or 3 draws to work, and this year I got her.

I bought her an extremely soft red sweater and some extremely soft and fluffy socks to put in her stocking. Dear Emily! I can tolerate her boyfriend because he seems so devoted to her. She finished her 1st quarter of college with a B average and lots of determination to do better next time.

Bruce is downstairs; a month or so ago he reclaimed his old office/art space for the first time since his injury in March of 2001. I wish I could say he's painting, but he's actually working on a project for his job. The injury took out his drawing/painting hand . . . he's only tried a few drawings with his other hand.

I miss the artist. It's funny--he's not himself unless he's being physcal and being a tech geek and being a dad and doing art. Those things are him. He sitskis, he handcycles, he does his suspended gait training and he rides the e-stim bike. He works in high tech again. He helps Heather with her chemistry and goes to her soccer games. He's the guy who spent every single evening for years and years reading to his daughters--ah, so many great books the three of them heard together.

I've been looking for what to give this man for Christmas. It couldn't be near enough.

Well darn B, your dire straits take all the joy out of my already-done-gloating! I sure hope your partner starts perking up soon, hopefully you have been taking Zicam or something so you aren't next. And you know already that it will still be a good Christmas, since you are together. I must say that your boys sound sweet and caring,well,duh-like mother like sons? Thats so cool that teen-boy was taking care of the toddlers! Sending lots of good wishes your way, and recovered health!
    We are getting ready for a huge party, hopefully at least 50! I't's a holiday-new house party, we have way too much wine hanging around here, so it seemed a good idea. I'll be serving a few different kinds of apps, soup, salad and bread and have cherry pies coming with Jim's high school girlfriend from the cherry capital in Traverse City, Mi. It is actually alot easier for us to host than run around here in the cold months. Should be great fun, I will be appointing cameraman, musicman and bartender as they come in and hope to have some good pictures. Last week we had a dinner party for 6 and then played charades, it was so fun. Of course the trick is to find titles that can only be acted out in a ridiculous manner so we can all laugh at ourselves. Needless to say our team won, but the other team is getting wise to us and finding really long titles that get harder as the wine, err, night goes on. All in good fun.
    Jim is doing well, just had to have a laser touch-up on his eyes and a visit to the "hoof" doc so most of the bases are covered. We got an invite to Govenor Doyle's Inaugeration in January so that will be fun after working to get him (and his ESC research stimuli) elected. I have yet to adopt a dog due to fearsof recrimination from our cat, she's such a princess!
    For January my book club is reading a book called "The Way the Crow Flies" by Ann Marie MacDonald and I loved it. It is set in Canada in the era of my youth and reminded me of so much--remember putting cards in the spokes of your bicycle? Being scared of "the big bomb" and pedal pushers?
    I hope all your Holidays are bright and that the new year will bring good tidings. Deb

Quote Originally Posted by lilsister
    cherry pies coming with Jim's high school girlfriend from the cherry capital in Traverse City, Mi.
    Lordy, debra, I went to high school in Traverse City--spent my summers waitressing at restaurants catering to people from Detroit and Chicago who came up to enjoy our town during the cherry harvest. Does Jim's old girlfriend take the Ludington ferry across to Madison? I've always wanted to do that.

(Sorry to interrupt the Christmas thread, but I couldn't let that little detail just sllip by.)

Quote Originally Posted by kate
    (Sorry to interrupt the Christmas thread, but I couldn't let that little detail just sllip by.)
    Kate, This is just "family" catching up with each other, ask away. I laughed reading your post to Deb, as a kid visiting and living in Grosse Pointe, MI, we used to visit Travers City....you and I had similar old hauntes as kids.

Deb, your thread sounds wonderful, the gathering of friends and all. Enjoy the Governor's Innaguration. Glad you made it that far. POST pictures!

Kate, when the last of my 4 brothers learned the truth about Santa, we did the same, draw names and be Santa to one another. Way back then we had a price limit, I think $5.00 that my parents gave to each of us. The dollar amount went up with the years, and as we got jobs, we provided the money ourselves. I loved that tradition. My teen believed in Santa until he was 12 I think and the last year you could see the push /pull on his face. The first year he didn't believe, he said Christmas was sad for him. I refuse to allow him to be around while I wrap, he still needs some magic.

As a family we have a wonderful Christmas custom leading up to Christmas day. We have a Dicken's Christmas Carole Advent calendar. In the early days, hubbie and I took turns reading every other night. As the boys learned how to read, they slowly took a night or one assisted us, last year we assisted the little guy. This year the kids read on their own. They jockey for different nights and count ahead for the story of Tiny Tim. This year they traded, even coming to blows to see who got Tiny Tim. We have 3-4 Advent calendars. The book doesn't have candy with it. Each year they got a German calendar with small push out molded chocolates. This year we switched to the Starbuck's trees filled with candy and a hidden picture. We also have a wonderful wall calendar where you move the snowflake. It is in two shades of blue, and the background flakes are beaded onto the navy blue velvet. The boys love moving the circular flake from pocket to pocket. We also have a Advent calendar that we keep on the stairwell landing above the stockings. It has a Christmas scene and 24 days of varying sized doors. I stick one candy inside for each of us. It is large enough for small trinkets, but the one year I put coins, etc. the boys didn't like it, they simply want their minature candies. I had better not break traditions. Our last calendar is the one that started it all. My mom sent me the "religious Advent calendar" that my grandmother sent me in 1957, my first Christmas. Growing up, I loved to read the journey to Bethleham. No candy, no gifts, just the simple story. My mom found it packed away almost 11 years ago. It started our little Advent traditions. Next year we are back to the $1.99 push out candies as well as all the others. Our list grows and grows. Funny, as sick as everyone here is (except me) they all struggled to the sunroom for our nightly ritual.

It is almost 2 am and I have work at 9 am tomorrow as well as a day full of activities. I woke up and did a sick call, bed check, covering everyone, mopping the fever off their foreheads and giving kisses to the cheek. Each one stirred slightly, I received a round of "love you's" and came back here to see if anyone had posted. I had no intention of another post but alas I am long winded. The house is silent, even the pets, all sleeping peacefully.

Funny not a single gift got wrapped but the panic is a bit less having posted here. Almost like that night long ago, with a sick child asleep on the floor, in a steaming bathroom. The solitude is so nice, only work and chaos comes early tomorrow. I am off to sleep again.

Now, back to the regularly schedualed show........
    Every day I wake up is a good one

I'm not sure, Kate, all I know is that it takes her about 7 hours to get here. I remember her and Jim on the phone for hours and on the couch after Mom went to work (nights), I'm sure they kept the house warmer on those cold Wisconsin winters! Ever the cheerleader, she's been trying to set me up with her brother We all went to a small-town high school so this party will be a sort of reunion too.
    Some of our presents are still signed by Santa, it just keeps all those precious childhood memories alive,eh?