Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffee and Bladder?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Coffee and Bladder?

Hey,

I likes me some coffee, especially now that I am going back to school and have to get up early in the morning/stay up late at night studying... or "studying". But it seems like when I drink coffee (esp in the morning) I cant predict what in the hell my bladder is going to do for the next 8 hours or so. Sometimes I will leak almost immediately (from overfull bladder) sometimes I will leak in several hours (from overfull bladder) sometimes it will happen several times in a row (like I cath every two hours or so, and sometimes I get nothing, and then my bladder is overfilled before another 2 hours is up).

Does anyone else have that issue? Have you found anything that helped or that worked?

Its not like I am drinking a lot, maybe 10-12oz max.

thanks,

funk t6complete

Happens to me. It is worse when I drink strong made with instant
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    Happens to me. It is worse when I drink strong made with instant
    maybe thats part of it too (the strong part not the instant) I make it as strong as I can every time. Seems like mebbe its not going to work out tho

Guess i have same problem, especially with instant coffee.

Coffee irritates my bladder too. I take an instant coffee cup in the mornings... The way I deal with it is that I always empty my bladder an hour and a half or two after I have drank it, before I leave the house. Sometimes that means staying in just waiting for it, or not taking coffee at all if i really dont have time. It is a pain, but I have had enough accidents because of the coffee effect...

If I really have to leave before the coffee goes through my body, I find a bathroom as soon as I get to the other place.. Cant drink coffee at night. If it is giving you symptoms that last all day, it may mean that the irritation to the bladder remains even after you haved cathed the liquid out. It has happened to me with strong expresso. The only solution I have found for those cases is to drink large amounts of water to "wash out" the bladder. Unfortunately that just makes you pee more.

White wine produces the same effect as coffee!! I guess it has to do with the acidity and diuretic properties of both. For me, it means no coffee after a fancy dinner EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by agnes
    If it is giving you symptoms that last all day, it may mean that the irritation to the bladder remains even after you haved cathed the liquid out. It has happened to me with strong expresso. The only solution I have found for those cases is to drink large amounts of water to "wash out" the bladder. Unfortunately that just makes you pee more.
    Its not that my bladder is irritated (i think... how would I know right?) but that I just get HUGE volumes randomly, like the last time i did it I cathed after an hour or so, then again a couple hours after that, then like 30 min after the last cath I leaked and got around 600-700cc when I cathed, and it hadn't even been an hour!

Yes, I know what you mean with the huge volumes... I think it is because caffeine is a diuretic, so basically draws water from all cells of the body and makes you pee more...

Botox

Even though coffee does irritate yor bladder yu should not be leaking. Do you take any medication that helps the bladder hold more? If you are and that is not working you should try Botox to stop the leaking. Only a few insurance compnies are paying for it but if you go to www.dignitytoostudy.com they can tell you where to go to get it free in a study. Or call 1-888-617-8839. Leaking is a pain in the neck.

SW

Anything over 1 cup and I can;t depend on knowing what my bladder will do.

Quote Originally Posted by agnes
    Yes, I know what you mean with the huge volumes... I think it is because caffeine is a diuretic, so basically draws water from all cells of the body and makes you pee more...
    That explains why my cup of coffee leads to a 600cc cath!

(8 oz = only ~236cc)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

it might be that the caffeine in the coffee is upsetting your bladder. they do sell coffee that has half the caffeine. I wake up at 5.00 am and empty my bladder and then drink a cup or two cups of coffee and then pee at 10. Its usually about 600 cc's. when i know that i have had that much to drink i pee in 4 to 5 hours.
    T-7 Complete
    "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."