Thread: A Few Tofu Questions

A Few Tofu Questions

Does anybody have any good, easy tofu recipes that they like? Main dishes or desserts or anything else...I am just looking for ideas.

Also two dumb questions:

1. If you have tofu in your fridge and it got frozen solid (because a phantom slipped in and turned the fridge up to the highest setting) can you thaw it and use it? Or should it just be thrown out?

2. What is the best way to store an open package of tofu in the fridge?

Thanks in advance.

Hi OJ,
    I am a major tofu lover! You can freeze tofu and then thaw it out with no problem. Some people do that on purpose to make it more dense because the water is essentially removed by freezing. It is good to use as a meat substitute after that in something like spaghetti sauce or anyplace you would be eating meat. There is a brand called Fire and Ice that is great. They take tofu and then have it paired with cajun spices, lemon dill, or barbeque flavors. I love it cubed up on top of a salad. You can just throw the opened tofu in a baggie or a tupperware type container to store it in the fridge. If you buy the really soft tofu you can make some killer desserts including a fake chocolate cream pie that is yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen
    Hi OJ,
    I am a major tofu lover! You can freeze tofu and then thaw it out with no problem. Some people do that on purpose to make it more dense because the water is essentially removed by freezing. It is good to use as a meat substitute after that in something like spaghetti sauce or anyplace you would be eating meat. There is a brand called Fire and Ice that is great. They take tofu and then have it paired with cajun spices, lemon dill, or barbeque flavors. I love it cubed up on top of a salad. You can just throw the opened tofu in a baggie or a tupperware type container to store it in the fridge. If you buy the really soft tofu you can make some killer desserts including a fake chocolate cream pie that is yummy.
    Thanks Eileen. Sorry for the delay in getting back to your reply. Tofu is something new to me but it sounds like it can be used in almost any recipe. I didn't know that. I will look for the Fire and Ice brand.

The fake chocolate cream pie sounds good. Stupid question: if you use tofu where does the chocolate taste come from? Chocolate flavored tofu? Does such a thing exist?

I've used chocolate chips blended with the soft tofu, but I've had friends make theirs with cocoa powder and sweetener.
    Daniel

You can find many great, user reviewed, recipes at vegweb.com, jello. I've found many wonderful recipes there.
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

The Nasoya brand of tofu, specifically the one called "soft silken tofu" use to have a receipe right on the container for chocolate cream pie. Yes, you can use cocoa powder or melted chocolate. I once worked with someone who wrinkled his nose up at the mere mention of the word tofu. He did, however, love sweets, so one day a friend helped me make the tofu chocolate cream pie and brought it in without saying a word. When he was reaching for his second helping I told him it was tofu.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

The first thing to know about Tofu is it has no taste of it's own, it's neutral, if you will.
    Whatever you marinate it in, it will take on THAT taste. This is why it can be used in anything.

I'm gonna link you a page that tells you a secret most newcomers don't understand, they explain it better than I can. Bragg's liquid aminos will become your friend.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Cook_Tofu_Like_the_Pros

Thanks everybody for the links and advice. I appreciate it. I'll post later on about how our tofu experimenting goes. The links were great. It looks like the recipe possibilities are pretty much limitless. Something I didn't know. Wish I had discovered it sooner.

CapnGimp, If you've already purchased cubed tofu and wish to use it in a recipe, would drying and baking it be just as good as dry frying before marinating it?

Quote Originally Posted by doingtimeonmyass
    CapnGimp, If you've already purchased cubed tofu and wish to use it in a recipe, would drying and baking it be just as good as dry frying before marinating it?
    I aint the cap, but reading further down the comments on the web page he recommended, there is an answer to your question DTA. The recommendation is that the dry fry methos is best because there is no opportunity to keep pressing the liquid out of the tofu as it cooks when it is dried in the oven. It said that the outside will get dry and tough, while the inside doesnt get finished quite as well resulting in an odd texture.

I use this (dry fry) method all of the time. You can prepare it on the weekend and then use it throughout the week in your recipes. At the same time, pre cut vegetables for stir fry and store in baggies for later use. Dinner in 10 minutes.

My son is paying for school by working at the Soraya tofu factory. Its all you can eat at my house (lucky for me) .