Thread: Suppository Vs no Suppository

Suppository Vs no Suppository

Is a suppository necessary? Whats the difference? Im thinking you would need alot of lub if you dont use it? Hemoroids inevitable in both cases? is one option safer than the other?

Experiences are welcome.
    The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

The purpose of the use of a suppository in an SCI bowel program is to bring stool from the lower bowel (descending and sigmoid) into the rectum to prepare it for evaluation. It does not lubricate the bowel, nor does it relax the spastic anal sphincter (if you have a UMN bowel) nor does it remove the stool if you have a LMN bowel.

Some people find they need to use a suppository for every bowel program. Some only occassionally need it, and others never use one at all.

Hemorrhoids in people with SCI are not caused by suppositories. They are caused by a combination of sitting all more most of the time, having hard stools, the techniques used for bowel evacuation (dig stim, manual removal, straining, etc.) and the laxity of the pelvic floor muscles that support the rectum.

There is no standard SCI bowel program. Everyone needs to find the right combination of the 5 components that works for them. This include:
    • Diet
    • Medication
    • Timing/Frequency
    • Techniques
    • Equipment
    (KLD)

For me they started me with the magic bullet in the hospital. That was a pain in the ass (pun intended) because I was always leaking butt snot all over the place. So for like 4 or 5 months I did digital stim. It worked, but it took a long long time... and the worst part is it wasnt nearly as effective (for me). So I finally went back to the bullet, and figured out that if I do a combo of both, magic bullet, let it do its thing for a while, then a lil dig stim and a lot of rectal clearing and i havent had any more accidents (fingers crossed). Like KLD said, gotta find what works for you, its def different for everyone.