Thread: Boy scouts and disabilities

Boy scouts and disabilities

im going to talk to a group of 30 boy scouts tomm. about how to deal with people with disabilities. its for a badge and they need the talk to last 30 minutes and do some activities like wheelchair around some obsticles and tape their hands and have them pick stuff up. just looking for some advice or good activites to add. advice on how you think people treat you better or worse because of your disability. do you like help, do you expect help and like how do you deal with every day things. and whats the one thing you've done that no one would think a person in a chair could do.

I talk at schools quite often. I always take some copies of sports and spokes or magazines like that for them to pass around. For the olderones I usually take my handcycle. For the little ones I print coloring pages for them. They are always interested in how I break my chair down to drive. If possible I let them go out and see how hand controls are connected.

What age boys will you talk to?
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

next time I won't bother
    Last edited by orangejello; 08-25-2008 at 10:06 PM.

their junior high and high school age. thanks for the input on the magazines, thats a good idea. im going to take a trike and some chairs and few mags, and i guess see what i come up with.

thank you for your input the articles helped. Orange i didnt mean to put you off, i thought that your thread was very helpful i was going to print it off to take as an example. I wanted info from people and their trials to go with the mags and chairs that i would be taking. sorry i forgot the thank you for it earlier but thanks.

Started to post yesterday, but lost it.

Include activities as well as just talk. (Like you mention) Some kids this age have a short attention span.

These kids will be driving soon, discuss how you get around, and why you (or many people, if not you) need a h/c spot. Just sort of work it so they REALIZE WHY that they shouldn;t park in a h/c spot. (As opposed to the "Don;t park in a h/c spot, it is illegal" and nothing else they get from drivers ed.)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

so.... how did it go?

Well it started out pretty good until one of the kids asked if my legs were on fire could i feel it? and of course i said no. and from there on out my whole carefully planned out speached went just about everywere. I lost all train of thought. I did get to covor helping people in chairs and to ask before just helping. did get the question of how do i drive and do my daily living. it was pretty interesting and i had a good time. In the future i would rather talk to older kids, but it was cool to talk to them and see what they were thinking.