Thread: Choosing a new career in rehab sector

Choosing a new career in rehab sector

A friend of mine is looking to completely change her career and do something related to rehabilitation - not necessarily SCI.

She is 30 and not sure if she wants to fully commit another few years to further education to become a physical therapist or osteopath (for example) but would be interested in training on the job to be some kind of physio assistant or support worker.

Any suggestions?
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

In the USA, it requires 2 years of college (junior or community college) to be a PTA (physical therapy assistant) or COTA (certified occupational therapy assistant) and 18 months to be a OTA (occupational therapy aide). There is a required training internship in addition to the courses. This is of course post high school. She should inquire into what these positions actually pay though, as they make considerably less than a PT or OT, and not sure these are available in the UK.

(KLD)

Thanks KLD. I think 2 years training would suit her. I'll get her to look into those positions in the UK.

She's not too bothered by the salary. Her fiance earns good money.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Does she have an undergraduate degree? If so, she might as well just jump into a graduate program for whatever she's interested in if she's willing to devote a few years to it. Every decent program will require internships/fieldwork to get hands-on experience after the classroom studies are completed. I wouldn't suggest her starting as a tech/aide.

I'm in a similar boat. I have a BS in Technical Communication, looking for a career change to avoid a desk job for the next couple decades of my life... I've got the ball rolling for a Master's in Recreation Management w/ a concentration in Therapeutic Rec. It'll take me 2-3yrs to complete, factoring in an internship & the co-requisite courses to obtain certification as a CTRS.