Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on MRSA, etc.

Update on MRSA, etc.

I've received a few emails lately, asking how my condition is goin'.

The rough details:

Since Oct. '06, I've been battling MRSA abscesses and boils; hospitalized thrice now when the infection overwhelms me, I've been dealing with an abscess that became a wound last summer. Never having had anything like this disease before, or wound right next to my ass, I sat too much doing my normal thing, traveling about, speaking, until I contracted e.coli after eating a tainted hamburger at a football game; diarhea for days, which got into the wound and broke it down badly. Months then of off-again, on-again MRSA explosions, oral antibiotics. Got tested for Osteomyletis, results indefinitive, in Jan, when I went on wound vac. Months of treatment, no results, wound stage 4 and at the bone. Progressively sicker, 20 of 24 hours on my back or standing; tried 2 separate sessions of hyperbaric oxygen treatment, nothing.

Late May, I put myself into hospital with 103 temp and terrible sensations; 8 days of hospital, docs can't figure me out, trying various IV drugs, until my RN wife, Pia, suggested Tagacyl; had a damn rough time until the fever broke, shaking violently, chills, sweats, aching. Finally found I had a perianal abscess, which broke by itself, fever dropped; docs gave me a colonoscopy, only 2 pollups, snip and gone, but no other problems rectum-wise. Suspicions of osteo but orthopedist wasn't convinced and didn't want to cut me. Home for a few days with IV Tagacyl, then the Humboldt Fire and I'm evaced; days later, the Lightning fires and we're evaced again!

Doin' ok, feelin' ok, then bango! Pia finds another abscess forming opposite to the existing one. Depression: shit, what if this one breaks down, too? But, epsom salts and little pressure and it's healing, thank G!

New attack approach, after I went to my doc and said, 'That is it, it is time to bring this to a conclusion, we gotta kill Mr. Bug and close the wound, how and when, Doc'? Doc didn't like my attitude, I guess, as I'm supposed to genuflect and scrape below his knees indefinitely. Fuck him, he's inattentive and lazy. Pia has been insisting I go see her infectious disease doc (last fall, I saw a gal in Chico, who was satisfied with the drug regimen; come to find out, she had NEVER HAD ANY MRSA PATIENTS! Thanks for nuthin'...)

So, 2 weeks ago, we go see Hafner, a nutcase/genius; 2 hour session in his office, guy filled me with confidence, 'yes, this is complicated but we can get this done'. Excellent. 'By the way, I am certain you have osteomylitis, which we'll treat'. Then, he suggests that he make a home visit to help nurses apply his therapy! How many docs offer to make a house call? That weekend, he shows up, along with my skeptical but game wound care nurse, and my wife and 2 other nurses.

Hafner has decided to: put me on both Doxicycline and Rifampin (makes the urine orange/red) indefinitely, gave me Hiba-cleanse/anti-MRSA soap, Bactrin (?) for my nose to decolonize the body, which is the root problem and why I keep infecting myself, showed exactly how he wants my body and equipment cleaned, then performed his therapy: laid on my stomach, Hafner put his fingers into the wound, found the bone, then packed the wound with... sugar.
    Table sugar, sealed with wound vac drape.

He then said, 'Ah, this wound ain't so bad, I've seen so many worse ones; don't get me wrong, this is a tough one and you may need some kinda surgery, but for now, let's see how the sugar works; you should see some changes in a couple weeks'.

Since then, I'm feeling better, more lively, hungry finally again. Mental processes improving, too.

We shall see how things go, but I finally have a doc who's interested in my case and seems to care. Sugar, of course, is unconventional but makes sense: how do you preserve fruits but with sugar, where no bacteria can live? Sugar is osmotic, drawing liquids, too. Hmmm, we'll see..

At any rate, there's the rough update, minus psychological state, which I'll explore if anyone's interested. Been a long, long ugly road, but maybe, just maybe the end is in sight...
    vgrafen

My book, 'Scouring the globe for a cure: a disabled man's experiences with stem cell treatment' is available at Booklocker at the following address:

www.booklocker.com/books/2857.html

A percentage of every sale goes to CareCure.

Sugar is an old remedy and still used in much of the 3rd World, but I have never seen it used under a VAC. I am skeptical about how you would get the benefits of the VAC if the sponge is only in contact with the sugar (which would liquify fairly quickly and then be sucked away) for a short period, and esp. over osteomyelitis, which definitely needs to be treated with IV antibiotics at the same time (per KCI, which makes the VAC).

(KLD)

KLD, we're not using the vac with sugar; I should've added that. I'm off the vac now, since it and osteo are not a good mix.
    vgrafen

My book, 'Scouring the globe for a cure: a disabled man's experiences with stem cell treatment' is available at Booklocker at the following address:

Quote Originally Posted by vgrafen
    At any rate, there's the rough update, minus psychological state, which I'll explore if anyone's interested. Been a long, long ugly road, but maybe, just maybe the end is in sight...
    Sounds like you've got a good doc there now, which must be an enormous help emotionally. I can't imagine your psychological state beforehand, but the fact that you've kept pressing forward shows amazing inner strength.

I definately don't like the sugar idea, but am interested as to where this doctor will take you. Dermawound, which I tried in desperation, is made of a grainy, sugary quality. I would think the bacteria would feed off the sugar ... but I'm certainly no scientist. I saw my wounds definately go downhill after a month, so stopped using it.

I'm at a loss because I don't know much about MRSA, other than it's something I definately don't want. I'm hyper-careful about the room I'm in and touching things when visiting hospitals for my appointments.

I remember Dr Young saying that Osteo was difficult to see with just an xray and even a bone scan. I have an MRI scheduled for Wednesday in Toronto .. not sure how much they'll see or if it will be any better. Has that been a suggestion at all?

I understand depression and chronic wounds .. thankfully I'm through with it .. but I remember sitting in my psychologist's office crying and saying, "I can't even heal a wound.." about five years ago. That was the first and only time I saw him speechless.

You deserve better than this in my opinion. I hope you see major improvements soon.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Vgraf, sorry yourgoing thru such a LONG tuff stint. 4 yrs ago I had a surgical wound from back surgery open up. Happened at home, it burst and my wife could see my spine etc. Wound doc, put on wound vac and I proceeded to get 7 different infections over the yr or so while on the vac.Had MRSA 4 times , twice septic, lucky to be here. I had 7 home IV pic lines, but finally kicked the MRSA much like your doing. Nose thing w/ antibiotic salve I think really helped.
    I tried to not let that thing get me down. I went deer and elk hunting with the vac, I wore a hunting jacket with a pouch in the back and by the way, I was on crutches at the time also. Got some wild looks from old timers who couldn't belive what they were seeing. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
    Whoops, I digress, anyway, It sounds like your on a start to better health. Don't forget to go heavy on protein.Lotsa eggs and salmon
    Good luck to you, keep up the fight, from the sounds of it you could only go up. God bless. guy

Sorry Vgrafen to read you've been through so much pain.
    I can see how it would pull you down into depression.
    The Dr. sure gets an A+ for caring!
    I pray this works and heals your sore and you get healthy again.
    God bless you~

Thank you everyone for your kind words of support. While the physical discomfort has been hard, it's the 'indefinitiveness', the endlessness that really drags: when the hell will I see some improvement?

My spirits are strong, though I have been impatient and a bit snippy the last couple months, waging a few wars here that I normally would never engage in but, feeling crappy, wade right into nonetheless.

Lynnifer, I did some reading and found, as KLD says, that the sugar is an old remedy, but effective. Bacteria can't live in it, unless there's a very low amount, but my wound is packed with it. As for osteo, Hafner is assuming I have it, but doesn't want or feel the need for a biopsy, so he's treating it with antibiotics.

fishin' guy, send me some salmon! Yeah, and duck hunting's comin' in a couple 3 months and my ass ain't ready for the blind; hope I won't have to fore go my ducks or my son's football games.

Yes, MRSA is a nightmare, not only the intense discomfort but insidiousness of it: once infected, it just doesn't want to leave.
    vgrafen

When I was working in home health, we had a pt with a stage 3 (I think) decub on his ankle. His spouse refused our recommendations and she began using sugar and betadine mixture. I figured his foot would literally "rot off" but I will be dang if it didnt heal it up.

While it was awesome for the patient, it was a great and humbling lesson for me as well. Apparently bacteria cannot grow in pure sugar solutions or so I am told. That is one reason why some people will say maple sugar never "goes bad."

Now take that for what its worth..I consistently saw the best results with acticoat (silver impregnated dressing) or the wound vac.

V.,
    Glad to hear that you might be on the right path here finally. Hope the sugar works-maybe it will "sweeten" your mood too.

Sorry about the bad joke-I couldn't resist.