View Poll Results: Where was your first pressure sore located?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heel/Foot

37 22.84%
  • Ankle

8 4.94%
  • Knee

1 0.62%
  • Ischium

22 13.58%
  • Sacrum

39 24.07%
  • Trochanter/Hip

6 3.70%
  • Shoulder/Upper Back

3 1.85%
  • Elbow

6 3.70%
  • Other (please post)

8 4.94%
  • Haven't had one yet

32 19.75%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where was your first pressure sore located?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Statistically, in SCI the vast majority of pressure ulcers are pelvic: sacrum, coccyx, ischium, trochanter, and iliac crest/spine. Next is heels.

At any one time in the community, approx. 30% of those with SCI have a pressure ulcer.

(KLD)
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Dear KLD -

What does it take to medically classify "Crack of my ass"?

My first (pressure sore) was at the base of my S-spine and the doctors played a Moe, Larry and Curley routine. I was an Inpatient at hospital and between the nurses and doctors it was like a circular firing squad. I eventually dropped trousers (diaper) and showed them because of the level of ineptidude. The stench (of the pressure sore) in a clean diaper finally got the "medical professionals" attention.

This occured +/- one month from Chris Reeves passing.

My family was pissed off and I had finally realized I could DIE IN A HOSPITAL!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleMark
    What does it take to medically classify "Crack of my ass"?
    I'm not KLD, but I believe the answer is 'coccyx'. I missed that one in the survey, unfortunately.

my one and only pressure sore was the base of my cock!!
    pmsl but its true, and i made it worse cos i ignored it for the first couple of days trying to sort it myself?? took about 5 days to heal. t6 complete. take protein supplements and do lots of exercise, giving me good circulation and helping my skin condition.

Quote Originally Posted by james15985
    my one and only pressure sore was the base of my cock!!
    pmsl but its true, and i made it worse cos i ignored it for the first couple of days trying to sort it myself?? took about 5 days to heal. t6 complete. take protein supplements and do lots of exercise, giving me good circulation and helping my skin condition.
    I've heard of this happening from condom catheters being too tight, is that what happened to you? Or did you over-exert yourself in the bedroom?

Quote Originally Posted by knowthill
    One other thing I had to do in this situation was get plenty of protein. I was 120 pounds and real weak at the worst. I tell you this just to let you know these sores are nothing to fool with and you need to get it checked out as soon as you can.

Oh by the way now that I am back I weigh 190+ pounds.
    yup i jus went to see my doc, had a uro apt as well. all the transferring, into e cab and onto e bed actually made e sore worse. my doc even congratulated me on getting my first pressure sore
    anyways i waz prescribed intrasite gel n thought how to dress e wound. Thanks 4 e tip. im gonna take lots of protein n stop sitting on my ass till its healed. i hope it wont take long, im goin crazy stayin in bed e whole day

I've heard of this happening from condom catheters being too tight, is that what happ

i'd love to lie and say overexhertion but yeah convene sized wrong by hospital staff unfortunately!!

It looks like activity on this thread is winding down, thanks everyone for your input. Though these results might not be surprising to many, I certainly learned a few things:

- Many pressure sores occur while in the hospital (iatrogenic, thanks for the word hlh). This is surprising to me because one would hope hospital staff would be better prepared to help prevent them. When new SCIs pop up on this forum, they should be reminded of this fact immediately.

- A new place to check, the tailbone (coccyx). I would have put this on the survey if I'd known it was often the site of sores. I'd never heard of that and I really don't remember anyone in rehab mentioning it.

- Pressure sores on the feet are more common than I expected. I guess I'd always assumed that a foot, being, well, a foot, would be more resistant to pressure problems.

KLD mentioned that in any given SCI population at any given time, 30% of them will have some sort of pressure sore. That's a sobering statistic in my mind. It means that most of us will get a pressure sore sooner or later, quite possibly more than once.

7 yrs and none so far. [knock,knock]

Back of my head, still have a very nice scar... It happened while still in the hospital. Obviously I wasn't being turned often enough...

Quote Originally Posted by rollin64
    7 yrs and none so far. [knock,knock]
    Show off.