View Poll Results: Where was your first pressure sore located?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heel/Foot

37 22.84%
  • Ankle

8 4.94%
  • Knee

1 0.62%
  • Ischium

22 13.58%
  • Sacrum

39 24.07%
  • Trochanter/Hip

6 3.70%
  • Shoulder/Upper Back

3 1.85%
  • Elbow

6 3.70%
  • Other (please post)

8 4.94%
  • Haven't had one yet

32 19.75%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where was your first pressure sore located?

Quote Originally Posted by infinity
    Alaso, its incredibly had to explain, but i can feel when my butt is uncomfotable or getting numb.
    I know what you mean... I can kind of feel when it is time to shift, even though I can't really "feel" my butt. It's kind of a burn, but not like neuro pain burn. [Also sometimes my leg goes "numb" even though I can't feel it in the first place, that's actually kind of disturbing.]

i've had mine for over 2 weeks now - coccyx
    omg it took u guys soooooo long to heal im going crazy staying home tryin to heal it
    a questuon, what is the best way to treat a pressure sore? as in what creams to use? how to dress it?

it seems many are caused in the hospital too Every sci iknow that went to the same icu as me got one while there
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by aaronykc
    omg it took u guys soooooo long to heal im going crazy staying home tryin to heal it
    a questuon, what is the best way to treat a pressure sore? as in what creams to use? how to dress it?
    You mean near the bottom of your tailbone? And how big is it? Deep? I had two small ones at different times and the local wound care doc sort of chuckled when I saw him for the first one. He asked if I was shown scary pictures of bones showing. LOL It really was tiny (size of a pencil eraser and maybe an 1/8 inch deep) but it seriously had me worried. The doc did a tiny bit of debridement. I have a few areas of true pain feeling versus just light touch. It barely hurt. Then he touched it up with a bit of silver something string and said to leave it alone: don't cover with any bandages, do not wear jeans until fully healed and watch my diet (protein and take my vitamins). It was gone in less than a week. Another like it just off the other side of my lower tailbone showed up 2 years ago and we used a little Xenaderm to fix it without needing a trip to the wound care doc.

I put down sacrum as my first but that's wrong. I had one 2 years post when I went back to inpatient rehab. A dufus OT had me dragging my weak elbow around the matt trying to show me how to get from supine tp sit. I could do the other way arounbd but she wasn't listening. Took months for that rip to heal up. Then I used a lot of moisturizers to keep that flakey area looking better. But 12 years or so later when I was in bed for 2 week for that tiny tailbone thing I developed an elbow sore from staying on my side and getting up on that elbow to use my laptop. I really have to watch the elbow now.

Les, yup, I credit tons of moisturizers on my feet for having no problems there even when I burned the hell out of them in the sun one day. Moisturizers also have helped with neuro pain in my feet over the years. Just recently got really bad to needing something for it. Just trying Lidoderm patches at night now.

To the guy with the small, non-red dimple at the top of his butt crack. It's probably normal-hereditary. Ask your doc on your next visit. It appears humans did have a tail bump at some point way back and some still have a tiny indent to remind us where we came from.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    I know what you mean... I can kind of feel when it is time to shift, even though I can't really "feel" my butt. It's kind of a burn, but not like neuro pain burn. [Also sometimes my leg goes "numb" even though I can't feel it in the first place, that's actually kind of disturbing.]
    YUP! I don't have neuro-pain, so I can't comment - but yes, it's sort of like a burn. At therapy, I do an exercise sitting up against the wall to work on my trunk muscles. After awhile, my legs DO fall asleep. I'm incomplete, so I do have full sensation [no pain/temp]. It's the WEIRDEST feeling EVER. Since I have no pain sensation, I don't exactly feel that maddening pins and needles sensation, but it's very odd and uncomfortable. Hmmm.. now that I think about it - there's a connection! I can feel when my legs are experiencing a lack of proper circulation, so I guess it makes sense that the same happens with my butt and thighs. AHA!

"ιn ѕoмe wayѕ ι love everyтнιng. ιт’ѕ leѕѕ oғ a тнιng тнan 'lιĸe'…leѕѕ dιѕтιncт. leѕѕ…parтιcυlar. ι lιĸe тнιngѕ тнaт ι lιĸe вυт ι love everyтнιng. тнere’ѕ мore cнoιce ιn ‘lιĸe’. вecaυѕe even тнe worѕт тнιngѕ нave тнιngѕ тo love ιn тнeм. ι love тнιngѕ ѕo мυcн ι ғeel lιĸe ι coυld ғloaт away."

Sacrum, and also while in the hospital. I've had multiples there and everywhere else listed, except my knees. They are great. Go knees!
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Quote Originally Posted by aaronykc
    You should visit a wound clinic and get a professional opinion, if you can. There are a variety of treatments that can be tailored to specific sores. Two rules are universal, though: Keep the pressure off it, and keep the pressure off it.
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

I got my first on my left elbow as a little girl. I didn't feel it (still don't) and used that elbow as a tool to do things like brace, lean, stop myself in a fall, push myself while laying on my tummy on a skateboard, etc. It got pretty infected. Mom and Dad had me back and forth to doctors for a while to help get it cleared up.

i got my first pressure sore on the inside part of my right scapula. its was from the halo vest. my sister found it by the smell of rotting flesh.
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

Sue - its about e size of my baclofen tablet, lol. its a little deep, no bone showing tho. there where bout 4 or 5 other baby ones surrounding it but they're healed now, its e mother thats troubling me.
    Saorsa - i've a doc appt this fri, thanks 4 e advice, i'll try to keep pressure of it as much as possible