View Poll Results: Where was your first pressure sore located?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heel/Foot

37 22.84%
  • Ankle

8 4.94%
  • Knee

1 0.62%
  • Ischium

22 13.58%
  • Sacrum

39 24.07%
  • Trochanter/Hip

6 3.70%
  • Shoulder/Upper Back

3 1.85%
  • Elbow

6 3.70%
  • Other (please post)

8 4.94%
  • Haven't had one yet

32 19.75%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where was your first pressure sore located?

Where was your first pressure sore located?

Where was your first pressure sore located? Please post if your first sore location is not on the list.

If you've never had one, great! Let us know what you've done to avoid them.

Answering for my father....

1st sore in ICU (day 4) - left heel.

Caused by the doctors putting a "CAM" boot on his broken leg that covered his
    foot and had no pressure relief at the heels. They took it off.

2nd sore in ICU (day 30ish) - sacrum

Caused by not enough turns by hospital staff. So we started turning him every
    two hours.

So the only sores he has had so far are iatrogenic - the ones caused by the hospital staff! He has not developed any since leaving the hospital - now 9 months post injury.

To prevent sores, he ....

1) Wears PRAFO boots at night to protect heels from pressure.
    2) Does not sleep on his back, and turns usually 2-3 times per night.
    3) Wears a Timex Ironman watch that beeps every 20 minutes to remind him to do
    a pressure release.
    4) Has to get out of his wheelchair many times a day (ex. lay on his side in bed, or
    on his tummy, or get on mat/stand at rehab) or his butt is a mess/painful.

It is a lot of work, and can be disruptive to sleep/life. We worry a lot that he will develop a pressure sore on his ITs (ischials - butt bones!). We're never sure how much pressure relief is enough.

can't spell it right...coccyx....better known in my household as 'the crack of my ass'. took a long time to heal, 1yr. it finally healed when i wore depends for about 2wks b/c of the flu.

Same as Marielea ... the coccyx area. The back of my chair was uneven and I was doing a lot wheeling then (2kms on gravel, 2kms on pavement) almost every day. The rubbing may have contributed. Also, I was sitting on a tri-foam cushion and two years later when I went back to rehab, even though they were the ones who prescribed it, they were like, "Whaaat?! Here's a Jay Active gel." I had also been horsebackriding a lot then and sleeping on a regular bed. The doctors figured the combination of all that contributed.

I was 15yrs old. More than two years out. Flap surgery and three months of hospitalization, missing two months of a semester in high school. New cushion, new chair (because I had grown some) and an egg crate mattress pad (which is now a no-no).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

When first in the chair my the backs of my feet just couldn't stand the weight of the footpedal. I had a nasty sore and had to ride around with my foot suspended in a donut cusion. Just the look a 17 year old is striving for.......

i dont know if its a pressure sore or not but an inch above my anus there seems to be a very small hole like half the size of an pencil eraser it not red or anything does anyone know what it maybe
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Me 3, regarding the coccyx area. I got it while I was at the trauma center right afer my accident. I don't remember them ever having me in any position besides laying on my back. It took about 3.5 months to heal. Only pressure sore I've ever had, and I hope I never get another one.
    "We're one but we're not the same. We get to carry each other" U2

Mine bottom/back of heel. Either from shearing while putting pants on w/o shoes on, or from foot in wet shoe for a few hrs while fishing for lingcod.

Sacrum. Also from th hospital. They think it was shearing on th operatin table, day 3 or so. Took 9 months to heal. In part b/c it was so minor that very little was done at first, "b/c that will heal right up". And it stayed that way, a minor stage 2, for MONTHS.

Finally healed up when my plastic surgeon put me on bed rest for 4 weeks. Up until then, they were not pushing that issue, again, b/c it was such a minor sore.

Wish they had taken it seriously at first, when I was stuck in bed anyway!

The spot is still fragile, and the skin tends to get flaky there. (Almost psoriasis like?)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Stage 2 on my left butt bone. Found 2 1/2 months after I got home. We were told about pressure relief but never what a sore looked like. I happened to end up in the hospital about a week after it appeared. They had a great wound nurse-of course she is gone now. It took about 3-4weeks to heal. Haven't had one since-knock on wood!!