Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Wise, Does The World Not Hear Our Pleas?

Quote Originally Posted by patricks
    Correct It is not a requirement.
    "Advocacy" may have not been the correct word to use.
    But all too often I witness those whom pat themselfs on the back, or express themselves to be better then another because they Donated, Wrote a letter, etc. as if done out of selflessness.
    A person most of us consider to be a hero (or a super hero) was not an advocate for spinal cord injury before he got hurt, his motivation was not exactly selfless. It does not reduce his heroism to something less. I write letters to our Senators, the President; I don’t consider myself better, nor do I pat myself on the back. I simply ask anyone, and everyone to do it.
    please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

The only true SCI "Advocate"'s are those whom are not themselfs cripples, nor have crippled family members. (Whom I Applaude)
    Others "Advocate" are underlined acting out of self intrest..

I'll be the first to admit, If I wasn't crippled I too wouldn't be working on SCI Awareness.
    I feel that anyone who does anything toward cure or quality of life advancements is an advocate in the true sense of the word, no matter how small or large the gesture. I think that you are overlooking the fact that whilst some definitely give of their time and money so that they can personally benefit from a temporary 'warm and fuzzy' glow, others might make their actions public in the hopes of inspiring individuals to follow suit or indeed jump-start their own input. I think it can be infectious. I too cannot say if I would be trying to get involved in SCI research progression if I hadn't been personally affected, but I, like many others have always had an interest in various charities regardless of my lack of personal attachment to them. Anyway, as others have mentioned and if you feel you're doing enough personally, who cares for the reasons why a person donates or advocates? I'm just glad that people do at all.

I think your criticism is wrongly directed. It should be intended for those who could do something but simply choose not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksdad
    I write letters to our Senators, the President; I don’t consider myself better, nor do I pat myself on the back. I simply ask anyone, and everyone to do it.
    I for one am very grateful that you do this. If everyone did, who knows the impact it may make.

That was a great way to put it Cherry. Who cares of the reason an individual has for taking the task of trying to help in any way,I 2 am just happy they are. The more involved the better. All you need for a chain reaction is for the initial spark to start it off. However it starts whether its for money, or fame, or just being dedicated to help, its getting done. Any way it goes its more than what I was doing before my accident.

ex. About Everyday someone says how they done this, or done that as if it was a pissing contest. Then has the nerve to reticule others who do less or even nothing, as if they themself acted out complete selflessness.
    Them savours sure have done the world such a huge service, with thier $5 donation and volonteer up lab rat, and sure bought and earned the right to come down on others for not doing more too.
    These individuals sure dont know what real sacrifices are. You never see those whom truely fight and sacrifice ever come down on others to help achieve thier goal. They encourage them.

clear enough?

ex. About Everyday someone says how they done this, or done that as if it was a pissing contest. Then has the nerve to reticule others who do less or even nothing, as if they themself acted out complete selflessness.
    Them savours sure have done the world such a huge service, with thier $5 donation and volonteer up lab rat, and sure bought and earned the right to come down on others for not doing more too.
    These individuals sure dont know what real sacrifices are. You never see those whom truely fight and sacrifice ever come down on others to help achieve thier goal. They encourage them.

clear enough?
    Do you feel you speak words of encouragment? Why does this encite you with so much rage, especially considering the percentage who choose to do nothing at all? I don't see signing up to a non-reviewed 'therapy' as helpful, I'm talking about people who donate, write letters etc. Are you not acting effectively worse than those you are chastising by turning your nose up at what you deem to be a meagre effort on their part? If everyone donated $5 in the right direction or contacted their representatives even once, who can tell how much this may help? Does it really matter if the person in question gets an ego boost from it? If, as you say, people are beng ridiculed for sitting back and doing nothing and this ridicule really bothers them, I'm sure they'll speak up for themselves. For some, unfortunately, maybe that is the only way to spark their interest anyway? You mention you get involved. It's clearly important to you therefore, so why direct aggro towards those doing something in a field already full of conflict?

Also, be a bit more adventurous with your condescension and use something like 'capische' or 'comprende' so I can at least get a giggle out of it in future? K Thanx!