Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going into the Doctors office when sick, is it wrong?

Going into the Doctors office when sick, is it wrong?

I was very sick yesterday with a UTI and I called my Doctors office twice in the AM and got no return phone call when I left a message, so I was feeling real bad and I drove down there and asked at the desk to see the nurse I normally deal with and said I'd wait in the waiting room. About ten minutes later she came storming in and said, I'm just too busy, I cant possibly see you and then turned around and walked away, I yelled, so what am I suppose to do, go to the ER? She said, yes. Its crazy because it would not have taken to long just to get me a script for something. She had called me about a week before and said I had a infection from the sample I had taken while I was having a scope exam of my bladder. I told her then it was not symptomatic so I'd be best off not going on any meds.

So anyhow, I went across the street to my general docs office, they took a sample and said yes you do have a UTI and put me on Cipro, I'm feeling a lot better already, I felt nasty yesterday.

Think its time for me to get a new Urologist? This is the second time something like this has happened.

There was a girl I know in the waiting room who is also a Para and she looked mortified when the nurse came storming in and said what she said. She said, is this kind of thing normal?

I'm thinking that office is completely mis-managed from the top down. I'm thinking everybody in there would be better off retired. I've seen the same kind of thing with many other people there, its like the world revolves around them.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Its time for a new urologist and an explanation letter about the situation/rude nurse.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Curt, I think it's terrible that a professional would treat you that way. I agree with the posters above, get a new urologist, and write a letter to the office explaining the nurse's behavior. Even if they were having a bad day or whatever that is no excuse.

Do most people go to a urologist when they have an infection, or their general care doctor? I've done both...

Hi Curt,
    That sort of treatment is definitely sub-par, and you deserve a lot better. You're right, she could have been a hell of a lot more professional, or just gotten you in to be seen for what would have been a relatively simple "I need a script" appointment. Sorry that happened to you.

My urologist used to be partners with a group that also handled situations very rudely! I understand. Thank GOD he went out on his own! I was also told once at my pcp that "IF you had a kidney infection you would look AND feel like shit!" OK.. JUST BECAUSE I put makeup on doesn't mean I'm not sick.. DUH.. I ended up having thee worst kidney infection I ever have had!!!!!!!
    SIGH>... I don't know what these people think.. It's just that their lives are so perfect that they really do not care about others. Don't know why they are in that field of work, either??? You are right, they need to retire or do something else, like WalMArt!

Take care and so glad you are feeling good!

Bbs

For a short time, my doctor's staff grew toxic. The doctor was great, and so were her nurses. The office staff acted like the patients were the enemy. When the gal who wrote the referals told me to wait until Monday for a dopler the tech could not do on Thursday due to a flooding rainstorm, it was the last straw. Referal writer actually said to me, "It's not like it is a life threatening situation." The dopler tech had to come to my house because I was confined due to a suspect DVT, for crying out loud! That referal writer, and a several others in the office were gone a few weeks later. I suggest you mention this to the doctor, and see if things change.

Thanks everyone for understanding. I told my next door neihbor about the situation today and he knows every doc on the island I live on as he has just about every ailment, he told me, dont worry about it as that kind of thing is normal around here and people just dont care around here. He said that kind of thing has happened to him many times. For some reason this island I live on is a very funny place. I'm really thinking about finding a Doc in Providence, I dont mind driving a little bit, this is my health and future here. I am feeling so much better today, night and day. Amazing how fast Cipro works. I got a ten day supply at the Pharmacy for only 8 bucks, I guess thats one thing we can thank G.W Bush for, He produced such a scare with bio-terrorism due to antrax they overproduced Cipro, it use to cost around 120 bucks for a ten day supply.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Yes, I agree, they nurses at the office I go to work for many doctors and it is very obvious things have got out of hand as the office is totally mis manage, I started noticing that a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by bbs
    My urologist used to be partners with a group that also handled situations very rudely! I understand. Thank GOD he went out on his own! I was also told once at my pcp that "IF you had a kidney infection you would look AND feel like shit!" OK.. JUST BECAUSE I put makeup on doesn't mean I'm not sick.. DUH.. I ended up having thee worst kidney infection I ever have had!!!!!!!
    SIGH>... I don't know what these people think.. It's just that their lives are so perfect that they really do not care about others. Don't know why they are in that field of work, either??? You are right, they need to retire or do something else, like WalMArt!

Take care and so glad you are feeling good!

Bbs
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Are you sure this is a nurse and not just a medical assistant or even a clerk? Most physicians don't employ RNs in their office now days.

If there is another urologist you can go to, I would advise finding another one. Write to the one you are leaving and explain that you are leaving because of the way you are treated in their office. It may not fix things, but it will let them know why they have lost you as a patient. I will bet it is not the only complaint they have received. If this is really an RN or LVN/LPN, you can also file a complaint for what appears to not only be unprofessional conduct but possibly a HIPAA violation with the State Board of Nursing.

(KLD)