Thread: Disability Hate Crimes

Disability Hate Crimes

We just got this contribution on Disability Hate Crimes in at our SCI blog and I thought I'd ask for feedback here. This is a very emotional issue, and I was wondering if you or someone close to you has a disability, is this something you fear, or actually encounter (or have encountered in the past?) How do you feel about the definition of "hate crimes" as compared to general discrimination or "singling out" based on ability? Are there changes needed from a legal aspect?

disability hate crimes????

Like a burning a wheelchair in your front yard?

Or spraypainting "cripple" on the front of your house?

cant say that it keeps me up at night worrying about things like that.

People suck pretty much universally IMO. [Yeah, I'm jaded.] People will find a way to hate on you no matter what your demographic. Unless maybe you're really rich. Then they'll just hate you from afar.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab
    disability hate crimes????

Like a burning a wheelchair in your front yard?

Or spraypainting "cripple" on the front of your house?

cant say that it keeps me up at night worrying about things like that.
    Yeah ha ha. Really though it's not funny. The blog post goes over the types of crimes, which are horrendous in nature (such as urinating on a disabled woman, putting shaving cream on her, and video taping it before leaving her to die in the street)
    The race-based hate crimes you're referencing aren't any joke either. These crimes don't stop at damage to property, they never have.

I dont think the above example (even though it really disgusting and horrible) really qualifies as a hate crime, although I guess I dont know the specifics. But I doubt that the individual or group of individuals who did it did it solely because the woman was disabled. They probably did it because she couldnt fight back and was an easy target. Like the kids who stab homeless people. They dont do it b/c they hate homeless people. They do it because a homeless drunk is an easy target.

I think there is much ignorance and misinformation out there about disabled people, but I do not think that there is any significant number of people who HATE disabled people and spend their free time trying to make their lives miserable.

I posted this in a different thread but I think it belongs here in this one;

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0808/548723.html

Hate Crime? You make the call.

I don't want to veer too far off topic but I think there are lots of people who do hate homeless people and target them because of that (I agree they are also "easy targets" but I think it's more than that.