Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: any pain like this? please look

Marie, sorry bout the pain, alot of us been there, I've had them. Went to er room the first 3 times, then realized " this is what they meant about pain management" in the yes you can book. My rheumatologist really helped me with this. He knew a world more about pain control and meds than my sci dr. I take morphine 15 mg 2x day, when one of these pains hit, he explained that morph. is for nerve pain only, doesn't help aches and soreness. So I take 30 mg of the morph, and then he said to add .25 - .5 mg of xanax, as that is very good accompaniment to the morph. I also did switch to Lyrica 2 yrs ago. My shooting nerve pains like that usually only last about 24-30 hrs. But with above drug usage, they quiet down in 45min- 1 hr. Hope the best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin'guy
    My rheumatologist really helped me with this. He knew a world more about pain control and meds than my sci dr.
    This is not the first time I've heard this. I have heard of people with neuro pain from strokes and other conditions finding rheumatologists that were more skilled at dealing with the symptoms than anyone else they could find. Physiatrists are another good specialty for this sort of thing, as well.

thanks for the replies.
    i don't have muscle spasms, that i'm aware of. i've only seen them 1 time, on a friend of mine. his whole leg would shake. i'm assuming those were muscle spasms, and thank heavens, i don't have those. just the stabbing pain that i described-which is enough for me! i'll talk to my dr about the pain meds that you guys have described. i sure hope something works.

sorry about your pain.

i have a very very similiar pain in the same area. we are similar in other ways as well - both t12-l1 ~2 years post. it comes out of no where and feels like an ice pick suddenly stabbed down into my right inner thigh, then slooowly fading over 10-30seconds. it consumes me 100% it is so intense. the entire world fades away until it is gone.

when i noticed that pushing down on my hip bone made it worse, my PT said it was likely 'neuromuscular'. i thought that was a pretty generic term but then she said to try tighening my hip muscles as best i can on that side when it starts. i thought she was crazy but it does work. it's like an on/off switch. as soon as the stab happens i tense up at the hip as hard as i can it and stops. if i relax too soon it comes right back but if i hold it for10-15 seconds then relax it stays gone.

i know spinal cord injuries are like snowflakes - everyone is unique.

good luck!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

welcome to the darkside of sci.....the pain that NO ONE will ever understand unless they have it.....

I have similar pain

So sorry to hear of your pain. I have fibromyalgia and often I have shooting, stabbing, numbing pain in various parts of my body. Most recently, it has been in the right side of my face. The pain travels along the cheek, brow & jaw bone. I have been to the ER over it 4 times. They give me a shot & sent me home. The neurologist did the shocking tests on my face. On the left side he finished quickly, on the right side he just kept shocking me until he got the reading he was looking for. I finally told him if he continued someone was going to get hit. He diagnosed me with "atypical pain". I asked what the hell that was & he said,"Pain we can't explain." I said, "Isn't that what fibromyalgia is?" He increased my Lyrica to 150mg 3x/day. It worked for a while, but, if I talk alot the pain comes back & is worse than before. I also have those same pains in my lower back. The last two times it disabled me & I couldn't walk at all. I went to the ER & they gave me a shot of morphine & sent me home. The most recent episode was 3 weeks ago & I was unable to walk for a week. I often think the dr.s just don't know what to do & guess at treatments and sometimes I think they think that I am lying.

i guess my regular sci doctor is out of ideas. he put me on a new drug, dilantin, about 2wks ago. its not doing crap. this is on top of the tylenol, and all the neurontin-plus the hydrocodone. now i have to go see the 'pain management team' at the med center. i was there once before, and it didn't work out very well. i just need this pain to stop. its even hard to drive when one of the 'big ones' hit. i just can't do this forever. there has to be SOMETHING out there for cripes sakes. thanks for all your help...i'll let you know what the pain guy says.

Proud mom of a US Marine Sgt., Camp Lejeune, NC
    My name is Andrew I'm a l-1 also from a gunshot (9mm) two yrs ago and i know exactly what your going through the lyrica and neurotin doesn't work i smoke hellva lot of weed which seems to help with the annoyin pain but when the big one hits it only lets me go into my special place till it passes i only see one way out, and i pray for god to take me so i don't have to do it. I feel like i'm living in hell i wish i could tell you what you what to hear like I know a cure lol but i don't and the gov't is b.s. ing on the stem cell research if bush's daughter was going through what we do we would have the answer already! I haven't heard nothing about it from mcain or obama so i'm not voting. But try smoking a joint you might be suprised. drinking alclohol seems to make it worse on top of a hangover so i don't drink.
    If the Army & the Navy ever look on heavens scenes, they will see the streets are guarded by United States Marines!

www.jccarolinaformals.com
    www.myspace.com/jccarolina
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Car...10436735695158

I get pain like that if I am not stretching twice a week by a physical therapist
    TH 12, 43 years post

Proud mom of a US Marine Sgt., Camp Lejeune, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by jccarolina
    My name is Andrew I'm a l-1 also from a gunshot (9mm) two yrs ago and i know exactly what your going through the lyrica and neurotin doesn't work i smoke hellva lot of weed which seems to help with the annoyin pain but when the big one hits it only lets me go into my special place till it passes i only see one way out, and i pray for god to take me so i don't have to do it. I feel like i'm living in hell i wish i could tell you what you what to hear like I know a cure lol but i don't and the gov't is b.s. ing on the stem cell research if bush's daughter was going through what we do we would have the answer already! I haven't heard nothing about it from mcain or obama so i'm not voting. But try smoking a joint you might be suprised. drinking alclohol seems to make it worse on top of a hangover so i don't drink.
    Hey guys, meet my best friend Andrew,
    I've been tryin to get him to join here and post ans ask questions so if I tend to sound like I'm possesed you'll know why, LOL. It's just Andrew just using my profile. I say if using mine is easier to come and get support then I'm all for it. I'll try to help him get a profile torgther sometime
    If the Army & the Navy ever look on heavens scenes, they will see the streets are guarded by United States Marines!

www.jccarolinaformals.com
    www.myspace.com/jccarolina
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Car...10436735695158