Thread: SCI Nurse/Wise Urethra Angioplasty ?'s...

SCI Nurse/Wise Urethra Angioplasty ?'s...

My Dr. is thinking about urethra angioplasty. Is this common for SCI with recurring scar tissue or would a mitrofanoff be better? Are there any other ?'s I should ask my Dr?
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Urethroplasty? Urethral angioplasty would be surgery to clean out the arteries around the urethra, which I would not think would help, or even be possible.

Urethroplasty is a very tricky procedure, and may result in more scarring than it corrects. I would definitely want to explore Mitrofanoff as an option, and would not consider either without at least a second if not third opinion from experienced urologists.

(KLD)

It must be the Urethroplasty, he said they might take skin from the mouth to make the "new" urethra. He has a colleague (sp) that specializes in this procedure. I never thought about the added scar tissue. Are there any other ?'s I should ask my Dr?

Ask him to put you in touch with another patient of his that has had this procedure and who also does intermittent cath.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Ask him to put you in touch with another patient of his that has had this procedure and who also does intermittent cath.

(KLD)
    Thanks, that's probably one of the best questions I could ask. I never thought about that.

Thanks,
    Mike

Hello,

I'm looking forward to a urethrolplasty to correct a stricture. Procedure involves grafting inner cheek tissue. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHD6KxYyMcQ. I am seeing a highly regarded surgeon however has no experience or frankly, knowledge with attempting this procedure on a patient with SCI.

Question:
    Can the cheek tissue transplanted onto the urethra handle repeated ICs post surgery? My concern is that the tissue maybe weaker and I might be prone to further scarring.

Thanks for any tips, info or advice.

I would ask your physician this question. I have personally not seen or read anything about this issue, but that doesn't man it isn't a problem.
    ckf

Okay, I will. If anyone has any personal experience or knows of good information, please post away.

Thanks.