Thread: How long does it take to become a nurse?

How long does it take to become a nurse?

I have a bachelor's degree which is basically useless. I can't find work and I'm so frustrated. I'm not needed to do anything, and I need to feel needed.

Also, having become quite intimate with someone who depends on the "caring" proession, I've come to learn that there is a gross lack of nurses who actually CARE about their clients.

I see a need for qualified, caring nurses. I love to help people. That I think is the first step. Now how to find a nursing program, how long does it take if I already have a BA? Should I go for RN or LVN?

Hi, Pixie,

I absolutely applaud your efforts and thoughts!!!!

Let's see if we can get 1FINERN (who just completed her RN), and our SCI nurses to help you out some!

I come from a family of nurses and they all said "go rn". Really sucked when I was in the hospital because even when I had family visiting I got poked and prodded by them. Good luck!!!!

Nursing Programs

It really depends on how much time you are willing to complete in pursuing further education. All programs require completion of certain prerequisites. The fact that you have a bachelor's degree already may get you off the hook with some of these classes. It depends what your current degree is in and how long ago you completed your studies.

After prerequisites are completed an LVN/LPN program takes approximately 1 year to complete. The RN program is divided into an associate degree (2 yrs) and bachelor's degree (4 yrs). The associate degree concentrates heavily on clinical training, the bachelors on clinical as well as theoretical concepts. You may want to make an appointment with your local college counselor for further guidance. Of course, I encourage you to go for the RN if you can. It encompasses much more responsibility.

Good luck in your decision!!! PLG

Pixy

I answered on the other thread.

I am so far behind I think I am first....