Thread: I wouldn't trade my husband for...............

I wouldn't trade my husband for...............

---A saleswoman is driving toward home in Northern Arizona when she sees a
    Native American woman hitchhiking. The trip has been long and quiet, and
    it's very hot, so she stops the car and the Indian woman gets in. After a
    bit of small talk, the Indian woman notices a brown bag on the front seat.

"What's in the bag?" she asks.

"It's a bottle of wine. I got it for my husband," says the saleswoman.

The Indian woman is silent for a while, nods several times, and then says,
    "Good trade."

martha

Martha, my dear!

Good story--of course I never, ever EVER think of trading my husband in . . . it's all too close, the ER night, the ICU, the horrified friends, the terrified kids, crying in the shower every damn day, our empty bed. Shit, I missed him. I wanted to talk with HIM about what had happened, not a million other people, HIM, but he was lying there trying to learn how to breathe and needing a hoyer and two helpers to move around. I used to drive home at night from the hospital thinking automatically that when I got home I'd be able to process it all with him. Then I'd remember, and it was the weirdest sensation, like my brain just split off into whole separate realms. In one, we were ourselves, just like always. In the other, this weird nightmare was unfolding, and I really knew all along that both were real.

But hey, if I could make some kind of trade, I think what I'd do is take his 8 pair of skis and exchange them all for the return of certain bodily functions . . yeah.

K

Re never trading husband in

Kate, I understand your willingness to trade in pairs of skis for a return to some "bodily functions". I have 2 golf bags loaded with golf clubs and every kind of accesories associated with golf that I would love to trade in."We" are not ready to part with them yet!!! Maybe I should take up golf and take out my frustrations on the golf course. If only I could connect with the ball. Fran

Kate,you are a wonderful storyteller and Franroty,tell him to take those golf clubs and learn how to play golf from his chair!