Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: "Perks" of Physical Disability?

"Perks" of Physical Disability?

While there are many disadvantages to having a physical disability, there are some advantages, as well. (Great parking and the ability to move to the head of the line at certain theme parks come readily to mind).

What perks, advantages, positive circumstances or benefits (both tangible and intangible, humorous, or factual) have come into your life as a result of your disability?

Concerning indirect perks, have you developed any new skills or hobbies as a result of your disability? For example, some people, whose career paths were primarily directed toward "physical" occupations, develop a new-found need/desire to pursue more intellectually-oriented occupations with the onset of disability.

Are you aware of others, although they may not have happened directly to you?

• We always, always, always get seated at a restaurant nearly immediately when there is a wait for everyone else. We call it 'gimpathy'.
    • LOTS of people come talk to us and we meet many very nice people. Especially little kids, they are the most fun to talk to and explain about wheelchairs and stuff. Chad likes to show off all the cool stuff his chair does. We never get tired of the wide eyes and dropped jaws all around when he stands his hulking power chair UP!
    • We never get searched at security checkpoints (airports exempted obviously, but we never fly) - all of us just waltz in ahead of everyone else and not through the metal detector.
    • We can sneak absolutely anything into any venue in Chad's chair or backpack - food, camera, sodas, etc etc. (see above)
    • Free movie admission to Carmike theatres (which is easily offset by the shitty seats we have to sit in, which is why its free, but hey, take what you can get, right?!)
    • You get to take your dog everywhere with you (service dog).
    These don't offset the negatives obviously, but I really like this thread!
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Not sure I'd call them 'perks' but here's a few things:

No-one checks my ticket for anything

People believe anything I say because no-one likes to question a confident cripple

I never have to go to the bar

I never have to make coffee for 8-10 people at work

I'm at ass height and girls with low cut tops bend down to talk to me without considering what view I'm getting
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

I tried really hard to think of something, but considering I was bed bound all of 07, this is still fairly new to me....

I just can't see any perks in this....and would kill to go back in time. No really, I would probably kill a time traveler for his time machine. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Imight
    I tried really hard to think of something, but considering I was bed bound all of 07, this is still fairly new to me....

I just can't see any perks in this....and would kill to go back in time. No really, I would probably kill a time traveler for his time machine. lol.
    Don't feel so bad Imight. I think I have adjusted quite well to my disability, considering it's been 4 decades now, but even with that said I can't think of any perks to it. I'll think on it more and if I do I'll come back and post them. There has to be something.

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel
    • LOTS of people come talk to us and we meet many very nice people. Especially little kids, they are the most fun to talk to and explain about wheelchairs and stuff. Chad likes to show off all the cool stuff his chair does. We never get tired of the wide eyes and dropped jaws all around when he stands his hulking power chair UP!
    This can go both ways, sometimes people you don't want to talk to come up.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    ...I'm at ass height and girls with low cut tops bend down to talk to me without considering what view I'm getting
    This also goes for the 300 lb guy with sweaty plumbers crack and bad gas, though I can find fault with the girls with low cut tops.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

No problem. I definitely agree that there are numerous downsides to this lifestyle, and that it's probably not anyone's first choice. Given that, I wondered what others regard as the "upsides," so to speak. I'm sorry if my question has caused offense; not trying to be PollyAnna here.

Free entry to US National Parks and National Monuments.
    50% off camping fees in most NPS / USFS / BLM campgrounds.
    50% off parking / camping fees in California state parks.
    Free parking in Santa Clara county parks.
    Free fare on VTA buses and light rail (if you have a paratransit card).
    Discounts on Caltrain and other SF bay area transit fares.

Before my injury I was paying $50 / year for a national parks pass - afterwards the cost was raised to $80 / year. I don't need disabled parking spots, so I don't use them.

Half price bus ticket

Free parking at any meter downtown

I can sleep 'till the crack of noon if I have a bad night

Save big money on shoes

Get to meet nice people on care cure