Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does he take sugar?

Does he take sugar?

OK. After telling you for three years that I rarely get or notice the stupid comments I had a fine example yesterday.

I went to London (bigger city = more idiots) and was sat in the reception of a publishing house with a client and a colleague waiting to meet someone in the restaurant.

The restaurant was up a flight of five stairs I knew I was going to have to go up in one of those mini wheelchair lifts when someone arrived with the key.

The 'guard' appears from a door in front of me, completely ignores me, jerks his thumb in the direction of the lift and says to my client: "Does he want to go up in the lift now?" while nodding curtly to indicate me.

My colleague snorted with disbelief, my client raised her eyebrows and said "I suggest you ask Paul that question" and I just shook my head and set off for the lift after giving him my best 'you should have been smothered at birth' face and shaking my head.

He was clearly embarrassed but didn't know what to say. My client was outraged for far longer than I was.

Never happens in Manchester.

Next time I'm going to beckon the person in close and whisper in their ear: "Help me, Pauly gone done toilet" before sniffing dramatically.

Or is that tempting fate?
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Thumbs up

ROFLMAO.

My friends would just literally scream the request loudly (initally they were appalled as your client; however, being around me they've learned to "teach" their own way.

"Liz, this woman wants to know if you can sign the check!"

The offender, or to be PC, the person needing education/awareness training would be slightly beet colored in the cheeks.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Hi Paul,
    Welcome to the wonderful (NOT) world of condescension. Sorry that the jerks are on both sides of the pond!

People are idiots! I hate it when you're treated as an object and not a person.

Idiot to my group, ''Does he need blah, blah?'' Person in my group, ''Why don't you ask HIM!'' Duh..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    People are idiots! I hate it when you're treated as an object and not a person.

Idiot to my group, ''Does he need blah, blah?'' Person in my group, ''Why don't you ask HIM!'' Duh..
    When, like I was, you're probably clearly in the middle of participating in a conversation.

I wonder if people who do this just aren't comfortable around disability.
    C5/6 incomplete

It's a myth if you talk to people in wheelchairs, your head will explode, and I'm sure he wasn't ready to go like that!
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

That's when Jake gives me the look and I snap into full-on spastic, drooling mode. There's this kind of noise-Dwoohart that goes with it.

Might as well spread the joy.

Do you suppose this doesn't happen in Manchester b/c you are recognized there?

Betheny, you are one sick puppy Love it. I will have to remember to drool a little next time I am marginalized.

I TOO, HAVE DONE THE DROOLING ROUTINEWHEN WITH MY DTR AND WIFE, WIFE GETS THROUGHLY EMBARRASSED, MY DTR LAUGHS LIKE HELL. sHE HAS INHERITED HER DADS SENSE OF HUMOR. i LOVE IT.
    oH AND pAUL, MAYBE YOU LOOK LIKE YOUR ON THE BORDERLINE OF BEING A DROOLING FOOL? hehe. kINDA LIKE SOME OF THE PICS YOU'VE POSTED OF THE PARTIES?

Quote Originally Posted by fishin'guy
    oH AND pAUL, MAYBE YOU LOOK LIKE YOUR ON THE BORDERLINE OF BEING A DROOLING FOOL? hehe. kINDA LIKE SOME OF THE PICS YOU'VE POSTED OF THE PARTIES?
    Ha....it was 4pm and I was in sensible, sober Work Rhino mode.

Betheny - I like it but not sure the drooling response is appropriate in the company of clients
    C5/6 incomplete