Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Humbled by the Bug

For the last three days I've averaged a dump a day - and they've all been clustered in the wee hrs of the mornings. I've included a good amt of veggies in my diet but the most significant change has been eating lots of hacho miso stew and including a few tablespoon of chia seeds with meals each day.

This morning I pushed around my block again for the first time in more months than I've kept track of. Going around the block involves pushing up a considerable grade around a sharp corner and then speeding down an equal grade that's some 150 yards long. The repaired caster assemblies on my old Quickie XTR worked perfectly w/o any chatter and I came out of the downgrade moving faster than any of those guys over in Germany went in the Paralympics racing competition - they ran a flat course and averaged about 25 mph.

Since I anticipated the push would be much more taxing on the old bod after goofing off for so long I took more breaks than I would usually have done but wasn't ever winded at any point in the circuit. Not bad for a 64 y/o guy who's been the butt of a lot of "gramps" jokes and digs lately on the boards.

I'm going to try to get myself around the block at least every other day from now on and, of course, keep up the high fiber diet. And I strongly recommend hacho miso soup/stew as great tasting and a wonderful vegetarian source of protein.

'V', F.G. and, I guess, Betheny - thanks for the support and suggestions.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

I definitely find activity helps my bowel move better. A couple of days of being out and about pushing - more than normal - and I always empty out.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    For the last three days I've averaged a dump a day - and they've all been clustered in the wee hrs of the mornings. I've included a good amt of veggies in my diet but the most significant change has been eating lots of hacho miso stew and including a few tablespoon of chia seeds with meals each day.
    ch ch ch ch chia

Mimin, that's the first association ppl make for chia seeds. But this is one of the highest % protein sources and all around complete foods there is availible at a reasonable cost today.

Chia seed may be eaten raw as a dietary fiber and omega-3 supplement. Grinding chia seeds produces a meal called pinole, which can be made into porridge or cakes. Chia seeds soaked in water or fruit juice is also often consumed and is known in Mexico as chia fresca. The soaked seeds are gelatinous in texture and are used in gruels, porridges and puddings. Ground chia seed is used in baked goods including breads, cakes and biscuits.
    Chia sprouts are used in a similar manner as alfalfa sprouts in salads, sandwiches and other dishes. Chia sprouts are sometimes grown on porous clay figurines which has led to the popular (U.S.) cultural icon of the Chia Pet.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chia_seed#Food_preparation

Well, nobody knows for sure if Chia Seeds are the cure all people are reporting, but what I know for sure is that they certainly are one nutrient- packed little seed. Chia Seeds are highly nutritious, medicinal, and have been used for centuries for its beneficial properties. Did you know that Chia Seeds are 16 percent protein, 31 percent fat, and 44 percent carbohydrate of which 38 percent is fiber? And that, according to the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Release 20 (2007), most of its fat is the essential omega-3 fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid or ALA? That's some powerful stuff.
    And there is more. Chia Seeds have twice the protein of any other seed or grain
    http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/chia-seeds.html
    J.B.S.Haldane

Proud of you Steve (right name?)

Making the block every other day is super!!!
    For all the reasons you listed and for your heart.
    I read a big problem we have is not raising our heart rate.
    Increasing the risk of a heart attack.
    That's what I hope to do with the arm cycle I posted.

Where do you get that soup/stew & chia seeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels
    Proud of you Steve (right name?)

Making the block every other day is super!!!
    For all the reasons you listed and for your heart.
    I read a big problem we have is not raising our heart rate.
    Increasing the risk of a heart attack.
    That's what I hope to do with the arm cycle I posted.

Where do you get that soup/stew & chia seeds?
    Thanks lots Mona.

After trying a few other misos that didn't impress I went to amazon and ordered a four pack of Hacho Miso (from Eden Soy*). It's super concentrated so the scary looking price really isn't. The packages zip up after each use and don't require refrigeration since this product is a soy/barley blend that's been fermented/aged for three years. The taste is sublime (as long as you don't overdo it) and the packages have a basic recipe for the soup adding onion, green onion and carrots.

Chia seeds also came from an amazon seller** and I got two of the three lb. packages. These come in individual 1 pound zipper bags that don't require refrigeration.

For the miso stew I generally use more than twice the recommended paste and also more than double up the veggies. Then I'll add pasta, rice or barley to each helping/meal of the refrigerated stew base as I heat it up to make it a complete meal. This is the first soy based product that agrees with me in every particular and it tastes wonderful.

*http://www.amazon.com/Eden-Hacho-Mis...9691951&sr=1-2

**http://www.amazon.com/Seeds-Pounds-G...9692767&sr=1-1

P.S. Yes, it's Steve - and the "every other day" is what I project; I haven't been doing it but plan to.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Alright Steve. Thanks for the links, I'll ck it out.