Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy PROS AND CONS

For me the choice was about dignity. It meant the end of a very humiliating bowel program that had to be done by somebody else to me several times a week. It also meant the end of fearing bowel accidents when I was out in public.

I have had no problems with mine and have no regrets about the decision to turn what was a temporary colostomy needed for health reasons into a permanent choice. Nobody except my caregivers and my partner have to know about, its not noticable to anybody else. It has made my care easier, allows me to put the considerable time and energy that was being consumed by my bowel program into other things, allows a bit more flexibilty with my diet, and has given me the peace of mind when it comes to no accidents. Which was a big factor in getting out in public again. The care required is not that onerous and I feel more independent, even if I am actually not. The decision was an easy for me to make.

It's not for everyone I agree. But those who see it just as a bag of shit hanging off your stomach clearly haven't taken the time to understand how beneficial it can be for some.

I didn't choose mine, it was emergency surgery, but when the time came that I could reverse it I chose not to. Not having to deal with a bp, and not worrying about accidents made up for the inconvenience. If I am dressed, you can;t tell it is there.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County
    Can you wear regular pants/trousers? Especially for the women? I'm a plus sized 16, but my belly is big and round, which doesn't allow for a whole lot of room for a bag, but then again, I don't know exactly how large it is, or how much it would protrude, or exactly where it would sit on the body.

If I go a size up, my pants would come off when transferring. This already does happen with a couple of my looser trousers and low cut jeans. I hate this style but there is little a person can do about what is sold in stores and online. They are all the rage right now. I miss "mom jeans". :-)

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl
    Can you wear regular pants/trousers? Especially for the women? I'm a plus sized 16, but my belly is big and round, which doesn't allow for a whole lot of room for a bag, but then again, I don't know exactly how large it is, or how much it would protrude, or exactly where it would sit on the body.
    Yes, you can. The appliance I use is flat against my abdomen most of the time and I just tuck it in my pants. I don't tuck it in the mornings I do a "BP", but, it is easily concealed with a loose fitting t-shirt or sweatshirt--enough to go out in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan M
    Yep, I here you, mine too. It was definitely an agonizing decision, but, one of the best decisions I have ever made.
    I'm glad it's worked out for you. It's good to hear that there are options that increase people's independence.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl
    If I go a size up, my pants would come off when transferring. This already does happen with a couple of my looser trousers and low cut jeans.
    I keep hearing people complain about this kind of thing. Am I the only one around here who wears a belt?

C.

justadildo-what do you cap with? if you have to go will the cap pop off?
    handsome- what type of patch?
    tiger-i wear a belt

Quote Originally Posted by MADPRODUCER
    justadildo-what do you cap with? if you have to go will the cap pop off?
    handsome- what type of patch?
    tiger-i wear a belt
    Mad,it's a white patch called a stoma cap. I often use a bandaid. Last nite I had BM secondary to a bad taco salad. Had bag on for saftey,so all I did was remove bag and replace it with a clean one. Without colostomy and bag,I'd have a mess! lol

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse

With the ACE you irrigate through a stoma which must go into your cecum so the stoma is on the right lower part of your abdomen. You use so much water that it liquifies your stool, so it usually just comes right out of your anus without any need to do dig stim.

(KLD)
    KLD are there any studies about this being done later in life in people with Spina Bifida? I know probably not given that adults with Spina Bifida are still a relatively small population & still a smaller # that would be having the procedure. I think about having it done ocaisonally but at 39, I'm wondering if it might be "too late"

This is sounding more and more tempting.

I can't remember the last time I had an accident but having full sensation (thank God) on the two days a week when I do my BP I feel the urge to go for the rest of the day.

This unnerves me to the point that I almost keep my diary clear on Mondays and Thursdays.

I would love to have those two days back again.