Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 52

Thread: Colostomy PROS AND CONS

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Spring Hill , Florida
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by MADPRODUCER
    What can I do to go without a pouch at all times? Im reeeeeaaaallllyyyy considering one.. I would only like to wear a ban-aid at ALL times.. I can just irrigate? Im new to this.. Will stool come out and I won't feel it? WILL I STILL KNOW WHEN I HAVE TO GO? WHO CAN I TALK TOO?
    MADPRODUCER,
    Check out New Mobility Article on link below about making life easier with a colostomy. Hope it helps you make up your mind.

    http://www.newmobility.com/articleVi...srch=Colostomy

    Take Care,
    Bob

  2. #12
    Do blood constantly show after its healed? Also if you irrigate alot and cap it. When you poop or have to poop will the poop knock the cap off?

  3. #13
    Only if you have a very distal (at the far end of the colon: descending or sigmoid) can you get away with irrigation as the method of management, and even then currently irrigation is discouraged as it can cause some long term problems (just as long term enema use can without a colostomy). Higher on the colon, the stool is too liquid and you must wear a bag all the time.

    With an ACE or Malone you have to irrigate and then sit on the toilet to evacuate from your anus. It usually works OK, but not always. I have had two patients have this procedure done, and one went on to have a regular (bag) colostomy 5 months later as it never did prevent his frequent accidents.

    If you have an irrigating type of colostomy, you can still have bowel accidents through the stoma when you have stomach upsets or if you did not irrigate well enough. The irrigation procedure usually takes 30-60 minutes. Changing a bag takes 5 minutes.

    (KLD)

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Only if you have a very distal (at the far end of the colon: descending or sigmoid) can you get away with irrigation as the method of management, and even then currently irrigation is discouraged as it can cause some long term problems (just as long term enema use can without a colostomy). Higher on the colon, the stool is too liquid and you must wear a bag all the time.

    With an ACE or Malone you have to irrigate and then sit on the toilet to evacuate from your anus. It usually works OK, but not always. I have had two patients have this procedure done, and one went on to have a regular (bag) colostomy 5 months later as it never did prevent his frequent accidents.

    If you have an irrigating type of colostomy, you can still have bowel accidents through the stoma when you have stomach upsets or if you did not irrigate well enough. The irrigation procedure usually takes 30-60 minutes. Changing a bag takes 5 minutes.

    (KLD)
    distal? anyway to prevent that blood hole? w/ an ace or malone when i irrigate do i still have to stim? or when i irrigate it pushes stool through the anus..

    so it will pop the cap off if stool needs to come out?

    who should i talk too type of nurse?

    what would you recommend i get if i go through w/ it?

    my whole goal was to be bagless when clubbing,entertainment, etc.

    i have girls alwasys hopping on my lap in the club. not good w/ a bag full of bricks.

  5. #15
    I am not sure what you mean by "blood hole". Are you refering to the stoma? Distal means further along the colon (more to the left and lower) while proximal means closer to the upper abdomen or right side. There is no way to have a colostomy without a stoma. Even an ACE has a stoma.

    With the ACE you irrigate through a stoma which must go into your cecum so the stoma is on the right lower part of your abdomen. You use so much water that it liquifies your stool, so it usually just comes right out of your anus without any need to do dig stim.

    You can talk to a good colorectal surgeon about your options, and should also have a session with a enterostomal therapy nurse (CWOCN) before making up your mind, but it is unlikely that you will be able to go without an appliance (bag), so if you won't consider this, staying with a traditional bowel program may be the way to go.

    (KLD)

  6. #16

    oh i see

    Distal is better than proximal? Yes I meant stoma. Looking at blood everyday,hmm.. I will look around for a stoma nurse. thanks kld and everyone.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    middle georgia
    Posts
    2,453
    hey the colomosity <SP> was the best thing total freedom and also no more accidents no panic if carecaretaker no there just more indepence

    you will really love the freedom

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse

    ...it is unlikely that you will be able to go without an appliance (bag), so if you won't consider this, staying with a traditional bowel program may be the way to go.

    (KLD)
    This is untrue. I know people who do "bowel programs" with their colostomies and just cap it at other times-- actually a few people on this board do who I hope will speak up on their experience (and actually have on other threads). I actually do an easy "bowel program" with mine and although I still do wear an appliance, it is 99.9% of the time empty at all other times and I could just cap it if I wanted to, but don't as an empty appliance causes no aesthetic issues for me.

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    santa monica, ca, u.s.a.
    Posts
    90
    one of the cons, just off the top of my head, would be a bag hanging off my abdomen. whether empty, half, or full of crap, it's a little more than a conversational piece. 'oh hi. before we get undressed i hafta let you know that i have a bag to crap in.' 'oh, it's attached below my stomach.'

    now being paralyzed, using a wheelchair, and peeing differently is a full plate. add in using hard-on medicine, explaining/experimenting loss of sensation and how it's still there in a different way, then the alternative ejaculation/orgasm situation and ....

    unless like paralysis, a shit bag is unavoidable, i just don't see how i'd hang it on my christmas tree (all year round).

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M
    This is untrue. I know people who do "bowel programs" with their colostomies and just cap it at other times-- actually a few people on this board do who I hope will speak up on their experience (and actually have on other threads). I actually do an easy "bowel program" with mine and although I still do wear an appliance, it is 99.9% of the time empty at all other times and I could just cap it if I wanted to, but don't as an empty appliance causes no aesthetic issues for me.
    Could you please explain your program please or pm it to me.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-31-2007, 12:01 PM
  2. I Need some advice Abt Colostomy
    By Lost in forum Care
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-18-2006, 03:23 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-25-2006, 03:14 AM
  4. colostomy reversal
    By cuky in forum Care
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 05:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •