Thread: seating position

seating position

My J2 back just dissintigrated after being held together by rivets and duct tape for the last couple of years. I just used a piece of HDPE that I thermoformed into a decent replacement until I get another one and I've noticed that I am having extreme tightness and spasms in my legs, groin and lower abs. The old back had fallen apart and had led to extremely poor posture and the plastic back I've built has me sitting up staight. While the new back feels good on my back for posture, it is killing my lower body. Has anyone else ever had this type of reaction from adjusting their wheelchair?

many times...

Because of pain and discomfort I am forever in search of better seating position... in that 'quest' I find it amazing how big a difference a seemingly very small adjustment can make.

One thing I have stopped doing is making more than one adjustment at a time. Sometimes I would do a few changes at once and when the next day came around could not tell which was the culprit causing burning / pain.

I think you are smart to use a rigid back.

Mark
    I had the same thing happen to me when I adjusted my J2 so that I would sit up straighter except instead of tightness I was un able to cath in my chair for some reason the new position would not allow me to insert the catheter into my bladder in the new sitting position. I changed the seat back to the original setting and the problem went away. In my opinion, I think our bodies get use to the way we sit etc and when we change anything from what it has been it causes our bodies to re act until our body gets use to the change but that are only my thoughts

i have the same problem,my back was killing me,i adjusted it for
    angle and height changes[one/at a time]

now my back pain is totally gone,it's fine,but my legs are freaked,spasms,
    hamstrings burn all the time,regardless of stretching them all the time,

i adjust the footplate up and down like a banchee,just can not
    get the right setup

what i plan now is based on advice from SCI-OTR to a thread where
    the member could not sit right [he had purchased a manual chair online
    and had previously been in pc]

increase the dump,and tuck legs in more under chair

Thanks Charles

Quote Originally Posted by nevada
    Mark
    I had the same thing happen to me when I adjusted my J2 so that I would sit up straighter except instead of tightness I was un able to cath in my chair for some reason the new position would not allow me to insert the catheter into my bladder in the new sitting position. I changed the seat back to the original setting and the problem went away. In my opinion, I think our bodies get use to the way we sit etc and when we change anything from what it has been it causes our bodies to re act until our body gets use to the change but that are only my thoughts
    glad to hear I'm not the only one with problems with seating. It's getting a little better now, but I think I'm going to cut up the back here and there to get it to work better.

In 27 years, I haven't found a seating solution to reduce the twisting of my torso by my scoliosis, keep me from bending forward and sideways at the base of my rib cage even when strapped in, and make me feel more comfortable so I don't feel the need to fidget every minute to try to make me sit straighter and feel looser.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.