Thread: Bladder problems

Exclamation Bladder problems

Hi,

I've been having troubles with my bladder for a long time. It all started when they found a bladder stone and I did the operation, Something went wrong and since then I haven't been able to insert a catheter like before.

I was inserting an intermittent catheter every 4-6 hours, Since that damned operation nearly 1.5 years ago I had a catheter that I change every 2-3 months, I have a lot of UTI's, I think they damaged something while they were pulling the stone out, I have to go to the hospital now to insert that catheter, they use a catheter introducer to do it.

It's all because we have a crappy health care system, doctors here are a bunch of uneducated and untalented idiots.

I have found a doctor that seems to know what he's doing, in a nearby country, he said I have 3 options to get rid of this catheter,

He could see what's blocking the urethra and fix it so I can cath every 4 hours again Or, he can insert a suprapubic catheter which I absolutely hate and don't want Or, there's an operation that will make my bladder flaccid or something so I don't need intermittent cathing anymore.

My bladder was (when I was using intermittent) I don't know the medical term but it wasn't leaking at all, I had to cath to drain it, It rarely leaks.

I don't know which is the safest method because I really hate cathing and if there's some operation that will free me from it, Im game, but I also don't want to do something stupid and then regret it later.

Which method do you think is the safest, is there any other type of treatment that I can do, any kind of surgery ?

Regards,

A.J.

You would still need to cath if they denervated your bladder, and it is common for this surgery to also give you a flaccid anal sphincter, which could make bowel care even more difficult.

I don't know where you are located (a complete profile helps) but another and probably better option for you would be a Mitrofanoff procedure so that you could continue to do intermittent cath, but not through your urethra. No appliance or bag needed, and you cath right from your abdomen.

It is extremely difficult to reconstruct the urethra, so I would not depend on that surgery.

Only have a Mitrofanoff done by someone who has done a lot of them though. If this doctor has not, then continue to look elsewhere. They are fairly common in the UK, Canada and the USA, and mostly done by pediatric urologists.

(KLD)

I'm looking into this procedure at the moment, sorry about the profile, its fixed now, I live in the middle east.

Is there a way to find qualified doctors in my region that can do this operation ? or is it better to just go to the UK ?

Is there any other option I can consider ? If anyone had any experience with this, please chime in.

What is the name of the operation you referred to in "if they denervated your bladder" ?

Thank you KLD

A.J.

Cutting the nerves to your bladder (denervation, rhizotomy) would only result in you having a flaccid bladder that does not empty, so you would still have to do intermittent cath, and could also effect your bowel since the same nerves (S2-4) are involved in anal sphincter tone.

Is it possible for you to go to Israel? Otherwise, the UK or Germany or Switzerland or Sweden would be possible options if you can afford it.

(KLD)

Hello, AJ -
    KLD did not comment on it, but 2-3 months for replacement of an indwelling catheter seems like a very long time to me, and might have something to do with the frequency of your UTIs. My wife's Foley is replaced every 3 weeks.
    Good luck
    - Richard

There is no reason that an indwelling catheter needs to be changed as often as every 3 weeks. Most do it monthly, but if it does not clog, there is no medical reason why you cannot go 6-8 weeks between catheter changes, esp. if you keep your fluid intake high.

(KLD)

Well, thank you for your input guys, I appreciate it.

A.J.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    There is no reason that an indwelling catheter needs to be changed as often as every 3 weeks. Most do it monthly, but if it does not clog, there is no medical reason why you cannot go 6-8 weeks between catheter changes, esp. if you keep your fluid intake high.
    (KLD)
    That's good to know, thanks. We started off monthly but the tube was gettting very gunked up by the 4th week, and the nurse thought 3 weeks would work better, but perhaps that's unnecessary and we shouldn't worry about the stuff caking up the tube? My wife produces about 4 liters of urine in 24 hours. One minor UTI in 3 years, early on.
    - Richard