Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 19yr old son c5/c6 burst fracture

I am glad that you found this site and I am sorry you had to. My thoughts and prayers are with CJ, you and your family.

It just dawned on me that something Rehab Rhino said the other day might be helpful to you. He said only recently has his mother ceased viewing him as a sickly disabled guy, and begun worrying just what he might do next. LOL, that is the trouble with boys. If they're not worrying you one way, they're worrying you another!

I feel safe promising that CJ, given time, will once again have you worrying about what he's up to. The SCI recovery process is just unbelievably slow. I think we expect it to be faster (I certainly did). Given his secondary complications, CJ is healing slower than he would with SCI alone...but he is healing.

This injury has to be measured in years, not weeks. As an impatient person, I have found that unbearably frustrating. But you have no choice but to bear it, so you do.

Best to all of you.

Elaine I'm sorry you had to find us this way.
    It's great that CJ has such loving parents & support.
    I live in Cleb, Tx but my Dr's are in Dallas at UT Southwest Medical Ctr.
    My urologist specializes in sci. Dr. Gary Lamack
    http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/findfa...,28392,00.html

My physiatrist is Dr. Michele Mendez who also specialices in sci.
    http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/patien...dez_MD,00.html

I recommend both of them highly.

I pray he'll recover from his flap soon and be on his way to a fullfilling life.
    God bless all of you.

Mona, thanks for the info and prayers. Betheny, CJ is a very impatient teenager but he comes by it honestly, lol. It is unbelievably frustrating that this has happened and there is nothing we can do about it. Hopefully CJ will learn patience from this, guess he has no choice. I wish I could go back to that day and change something to change the outcome but I know I can't. The trial for the boy driving will begin in 8-10 months and we will have to relive it all over again. CJ wants to be at the trial and we have to be to testify. The kid driving was 17 at the time of the crash but has since turned 18. He was arrested again for Felony street racing which resulted in a car crash where he also injured his passenger with a broken femur. That accident happened a week before CJ's but they did not arrest him for it until after CJ's accident. God, if they only would of arrested him that night CJ may not have had to go through all this. Can you tell how anygry I am?????? We never liked the boy that was driving but you know teenagers, they don't listen to parents much. I do hope and pray that I will have to worry about CJ being out and about again, kind of weird to say that but that may mean there will be some normallcy (sp?) again in our family. I feel like this is a nightmare I just can't wake up from...will I ever stop grieving for the child CJ once was??? I hope so, I really do!

Thanks,
    Elaine

Elaine- BIG HUGS to you! I am so sorry you are going through this right now. As others have said- SCI is hard enough to deal with let alone having complications in addition. I don't blame you one bit for being angry about this. As a mother I know I would be also. My fiance had a SCI at C5/6 but he didn't have any kind of accident. It just "happened" to him. He never did anything to hurt himself- he herniated a disk that compressed his spinal cord. So now he looks around trying to figure out all of the "why's" and "how's" of it all. Hang in there. This really is a great place to come. Everyone here has been wonderful to me!! You and your family are in my thoughts and I will send my well wishes your way every day!!

CJ's-Mom,
    Expect delays in the legal end, mine is going on 5 years, and no date yet. I had a building fall on me and nothing has been done. The people are large scale drug runners from New Jersey, and think they are god's gift to the world. Felony drug importers #1. They lost their boat and their cargo Oct. 1982, all 19 tons of lebanese hashisih off the coast of New Jersey. I have been crippled for life, my head is still above water, and I'm making the best of a bad situation. He has youth and impatiance, this is good, let him try at his best to see how far he can go, therapy is great. but it must, be carried on at home, and any way he can work it into his day to day life.This will give him incentive.

As for the driver, get a good attorney, and go for all that's available and more. He's going to need it. I am lucky to have contributed the max to SS for years and get the max. This doesn't cut it. Currently I'm doing T-shirts and mailings to bring them down to thier knees and get them out of the community.

Patiance to me is a four letter word, unfortunatly it has to be earned, I have none, and have had to learn it. It is the worst thing I ever wanted to do. But 4+ years later things are starting to get better. I can only hope that I made mistakes anD it could be sped up, but, I don't think so.

Good Luck, and try to keep your head up.

CJ's coming home!!

Well good news, CJ's supra pubic catheter surgery went well and so did his flap surgery. Woohoo! He will be coming home on Wednesday the 27th. We are so glad that he will be here with us and not so far away.... I will not miss the drive every other day. I am very grateful for the words of encouragement and advice so far, please keep it up. We are going to be helping him learn how to feed himself, dress himself etc. I am looking into this MME Magnetic Therapy I have heard about. Any other info that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Elaine

Wonderful so happy for you!

I decided to post an update after reading another post today. Sorry it's been a while guys but taking care of CJ, our business, two other kids and one just left for the Army in June it's been crazy! We went to trial for the guy that was driving and he was found guilty of intoxication manslaughter, 2 counts of intoxication assault and assault with a deadly weapon. He got 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine which was the max fine. He cannot be eligible for parole for a minimum of 5 years since they found him guilty of assault with a deadly weapon. He is in Tarrant County Jail awaiting transfer to Huntsville or some other state prison. The supporters that were there for the boy that did this was astonishing and needless to say they were appalled he did not get probation. Some were even my son's friends that had not taken sides. It was very emotional!! It was so very hard watching the interrogation of that boy right after the accident. There was no remorse at all for what he had done. We also found out after the accident that this was his 5th car accident, one was 1 week prior to the wreck with CJ and another was 1 year prior that involved alcohol and his parents continued to buy him vehicles and let him freaking drive! Of course they have appealed the decision but he cannot be out on bond while appealing because of the 10yr sentence! Thank god! He probably won't receive a new trial but ya never know! CJ has continued to stay strong and thankfully has not been back to the hospital since August of 08! He has continued to improve little by little each day and I am very pleased. It's a daily struggle but one I can finally grasp and get my head around as long as I only think about 1 day at a time. CJ has many friends that have maintained their friendships and take him out, mall, movies, and yes even parties, of course they never get out of my house without me knowing who is the designated driver. He doesn't really ever drink but every now and again has a beer or two. We are blessed to have a son that joined the Army and I went to see him graduate from basic training in September in SC. It was a proud moment and I wish that CJ could of been there! His brother in the Army wants to take care of CJ for us when we can't. He say's his older brother is his inspiration and was the biggest help with taking care of CJ up until the day he left for basic! Life has continued and now I continue to worry every day about my other two boys and their future as well. I look at CJ and how far we have come in 19 months! Ya'll were right, he has progressed and is not the same kid I brought home! I am looking forward once again to life and our future as a family. Thanks to all of your posts, I read more than I write, I have hope and faith! Keep up all the good work everyone!

CJ'S-MOM
    ELAINE

Thanks for the update. You have all come a long way since your first post. My nephew also joined the Army. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.