Thread: pregnacy after a SCI

Central California/ (the Republican side :)

Question pregnacy after a SCI

ok, i hope i chose the right forum for this topic. Seems like no matter which i chose it always gets moved. If i chose wrong again, i apologize in advance

B4 my accident in Sept 2007 which resulted in a SCI, my husband and I were trying to conceive our 2nd child. I am 38 yrs old. I am aware of the potential pit falls of facing children beyond 35 without a SCI, but i was and sort still am a healthy 38.

My question is this.......i am on nurotin, baclofen, santura, & a 25 mmg fentanyl patch are these ok to be on while trying to get pregnant or while pregnant. I also have concerns about being able to physically carry a child. Even caring for an infant might pose a unique challenge that i did not have b4 my accident. I also have a DVT and dont know if this will be a problem with swelling etc. I am going to talk to my Dr. about all of this at our next appt. but i thought i''d throw it up here because everyone has been so helpful to date on alot of other questions & topics.

Thanks gang

Evonne
    </IMG>
    I have a spinal cord injury...a spinal cord injury DOES NOT have me!

walking quad-Central Cord Syndrome

Call your gyn and schedule a pre-pregnancy evaluation. Discuss your meds with them, and suggest that they talk with your physiatrist as well. They can advise you on which meds to stop, and how. This should be done BEFORE you stop birth control and before you are late (as that is too late).

Also be sure you are in the peak of health. You don't want to put your body through the stress of a pregnancy if you have unresolved health problems like a pressure ulcer or stone. Get those taken care of first.

(KLD)

i'm not sure what type of function you have but i am a low quad with some finger function and have very little problems taking care of my children. including the baby who needs a bum change right now lol. but feel free to message me anytime.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.