Thread: Health Insurance

Health Insurance

What if any health insurance plans or goverment benefits are there for Caregivers of Spinal Cord Injury patients? My spouce has a complete injury and is currently receiving a trivial amount of SSI, but in a year she will automatically be enrolled in Medicare if we understand correctly. I would like to retire and take care of my spouce, but the only thing stopping me is MY health insurance (ie: I wouldn't have any if I retire early.

Insurance

This is a major problem for family caregivers as well as paid caregivers. Most do not have any insurance coverage for themselves unless they also qualify for Medicaid due to low income.

There is also much evidence that family caregivers tend to neglect their own health when they are involved with caring for a family member, so they are more likely to have major health problems themselves and thus need the health insurance.

Many families resolve this by having the caregiver also work enough hours in a regular job to qualify for employer provided insurance, but this may increase family income to the point of making other benefits a problem, and may require spending some of that income to hire PCAs.

It is not an easy problem, and one that ADAPT is addressing along with their other efforts to keep people in their own homes with the caregivers of their choice.

(KLD)

Here's the ADAPT site; it's a good place to get involved:

http://www.adapt.org

Interesting

Thats an interesting web site, but would the Bill they propose entitle "Caregivers" to Medicaid? As with Social Security I don't think their should be a restiction on income to receive Medicaid for Caregivers or the patients. Guess everyone should have suppoeted National Health Care Coverage that President Clinton proposed in his 1st term.....

Your profile says TN

Is your home state. Have you checked to see if you will qualify under any of the state plans for Medicaid? TN is somewhat limiting in what they cover, but it may be one way to go. FYI, Medicare alone won't be adequate to fully cover your wives needs

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
    It's already tomorrow in Australia!"----- Charles Schultz