Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: seeking others w/ CENTRAL CORD SYNDROME

Since no one has posted here recently I thought I would say something to see if this group is still hanging around CCC. I "think" I'm still making slight progress 3 years 3 months post injury. The more recent development which I did not think would ever be possible: I have returned to skiing. That's how I got my sci. I was in a ski crash where the combo of hyper-extending my neck and stenosis put a "dime size" contusion in my cord between C-3/C-4. Skiing post injury is strange. I have decent balance. Pretty good control and have upped my speed and number of runs. Have to take more rests and I can't ski nearly as aggressive or put in a as many runs as pre-injury. My right leg can literally just stop working while I'm taking a run. One reason I can ski is that I rest on the lift (about 8 minutes) and then take a run (2 to 3 minutes). Those constant intermittent rests make the difference. I do struggle walking down stairs back to my vehicle after skiing. What's going on with you all?
    CCS/Walking Quad

Yep I'm still checking out ccc here and there,thank GOD they got the format straightened out again! Revis, sure glad your still improving I kind of monitor the people that have similar injuries as I do, especially the ones that are injured at about or sooner than my own. I also feel I've improved a bit lately with balance,but somedays can still be a challenge I don't know how you can handle the cold though especially snow skiing, my joints and muscles just stiffen up horribly in cold temps. I guess that's why I b line it to Az from Mn. after Xmas I have a tough time manuvering on ice and snow.

Thanks for responding, Ggerry. I get the motivation for comparing with others with similar injury at roughly the same time. I do the same thing. Yes, cold can be rough. I find that dampness and cold together is the worst, especially late in the day after I've been at work. There are times when that combo causes me to go totally stiff. When that happens I have to sit in my recliner for an hour or two, sometimes with shaking. For some reason when I ski the constant activity warms up my core enough that I don't go into "stiff mode". If I get cold on the lift, usually from being underdressed, then it's trouble. My arms and upper torso can go stiff. But that's fairly rare, thankfully. I do have freak out moments when I navigate ice. I don't know what's worse, the cold/damp or the heat. 90+ temps really make me miserable. AZ in the winter would be nice. Smart move!!!
    CCS/Walking Quad

Still around Revis

New to CCS but not to SCI. I suffered a T12 SCI 3 years ago and progressed to walking unassisted. I broke my neck knee surfing in August. I am walking with a walker but my shoulders and hands lag. I feel I am making progress though. My major issue is stiffness. It seems to originate in my abs. It limits my flexibility. I have trouble dressing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MFlounlacker, My abdominal tightness has gotten better over time. It is still there, but it is not as bad. I remember, a couple of months into SCI, telling people that it felt like I had a very tight vest on. That feeling is mostly gone. I still tight hip flexors that want to pull me down. One stretch that helps me is to lay down on a bed with my arms up over my head and my legs hanging off the end.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Cajun- I to have full ROM in right shoulder left is weak. Working hard at the extremes of my ROM. Hands work but are always stiff. Cold is a complete no go. If not for my previous SCI, I would be walking foe sure. B and B is rough but doable. Can't wait to be a crutch hiker again.

Cajun- I to have full ROM in right shoulder left is weak. Working hard at the extremes of my ROM. Hands work but are always stiff. Cold is a complete no go. If not for my previous SCI, I would be walking foe sure. B and B is rough but doable. Can't wait to be a crutch hiker again.

MFlounlacker, my left side is worse for me too, and my left shoulder had significantly worse ROM until just recently. Four and a half years post SCI I still get surprises at some return. Just a week ago, when lifting weights I noticed that the ROM for my left shoulder was the same as my right! I might try swimming again. I think that my left hand is also continuing to make progress. The stiffness and sensation are gradually improving. It might seem funny, but I think that biking is a big help for this. I ride a lot, and especially with drop bars, you move your hands and use feel to locate them. Can you ride a stationary bike now? I think that doing that was beneficial for me. I had a big problem with low blood pressure for a while, and I think that riding helped that lots.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

I plan to start riding a stationary bike. Working on the transfer.