Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miami Project will host a Research Briefing Webcast

Thumbs up Miami Project will host a Research Briefing Webcast

On Friday, August 15, The Buoniconti Fund to Cure Paralysis will host a Research Briefing as part of the Chapters Summit 2008 conference presented by Hollister Incorporated. The Briefing will highlight the latest news and science regarding spinal cord injury research here at The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis. Presenters will be Scientific Director, W. Dalton Dietrich, Ph.D., and some of our principal investigators.Please accept our invitation to participate in the Research Briefing via webcast through our partner, Disaboom.com. Disaboom.com, a leader in connection technology to support disability, will be providing a web cast portal on their website. To view the webcast, you will need to register and become a (free) member of the Disaboom online community.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Yay! I signed up. I'm looking forward. Scott.

they are the #1 research for SCI in the world. so i hear. you would think they would have somebody from there on the #1 SCI site posting something once in awhile.
    oh well

Quote Originally Posted by Schooch1282
    People here feel free to knock MP and even say they waste money. Try saying that about Dr. Young and see where you get.I think we would all be surprised if we knew exactly how much the Keck Center spends on research too and has nothing more to offer then the Miami Project.
    Hey sport,

The Miami Project , to a large degree is the main reason there are no viable treatments for spinal cord injury. Nobody in the history of spinal cord research field has spent more, and achieved less. Over $250 Million and they have been goose-egged. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If I felt Dr. Young was a wash-out, like the Miami Project has been, I would point it out. I don't agree with everything Dr. Young posts, but lets just review:

In 1990, Dr. Young helped discover a drug that is now the standard treatment for spinal cord injuries. (Methylprednisolone)

Dr.Young has trained over 500 people to use the MASCIS Impactor. Which by the way he co-invented.

http://keck.rutgers.edu/docs/brochure_2007_impactor.pdf

Founder/ Administrator of the website "CareCure". The most relevant site in the world for information regarding spinal cord injury. Has contributed over 31,000 posts personally.

Is the driving force behind ChinaSCINet. Human Clinical Trial Network for 400 patients (chronic SCI). Currently 20 hospitals are enrolled.

Dr. Young has also traveled to India in hopes of setting up a clinical trial network there.

Dr. Young travels throughout the world teaching and providing the groundwork to advance the science of curative therapies for spinal cord injury.

Now Schooch1282, you have my complete attention. Please tell me exactly what the Miami Project has achieved, and don't leave anything out.

Ahh, was going to attend this but somehow lunch at Nikki Beach with friends sounded more appealing
    Though I do enjoy MP benefits.
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

I don´t have anything against MP, but their actual active studies and goals are crap.
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

Schooch1282

I am still waiting for you to explain exactly what the Miami Project has achieved (for well over $250 Million Dollars), and don't leave anything out.

The problem is that i cant see anything in the actual MP studies that makes me think, "hey! this dudes are working hard to cure us"
    I dont know if MP have a secret weapon, but the studies that appear in their website are very light and aren´t focused in the repair of spinal cord.
    I honestly expected more from a center with the resources of MP. 23 years with nothing relevant in the field are a waste of money and time in my opinion.
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

Just for the hell of it, I'm going to clock how many posts your beef with Doctor Young doesn't show up in.

You were absolutely right to separate yourself from your father and anything he said on this website from yourself in the other thread. You should not be judged by any grievance he happened to post again, again and again.

If your posting here is only to bang the same drum, you're gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Schooch1282
    Say that about Dr. Young and you will be attacked, see the difference?

Issy, do you think cord blood and lithium is better than what MP offers? Maybe just the terminology it's in clinical trial gives you a rush.

It would be easy to make cord blood and lithium look like it works, we used to think methylprednisolone worked.

Because of the methylprednisolone trials we should not think that something that is reported to have favorable results actually does.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Schooch, you need to get your medication reevaluated... that wonderful drug mp... well because of that I am no longer on a ventilator. So whoever wants to take the claim 4 fame on that medication is well deserved. C3 quad breathing on his own. Miami Project spends lots of money, have not seen anything produced good from them. A couple of good fund raisers with some really nice stars. My money is with Dr. wise. Keep up the good work doc, don't care what your salary is I know you are trying your hardness.
    keiffer66