Thread: People with Brown Sequard Syndrome

Question People with Brown Sequard Syndrome

How do you guys build muscle on your affected side (Bad Side)? I know using weights and stimming but how can you do it with your hand being weak?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

If your grip is too weak then I would recommend this

http://www.wisdomking.com/product/gr...-wrist-support
    Injured May 19, 2006, C4 incomplete

i mean i can carry like 15 lbs with my bad hand but i dont know if that ill work that well....thx tho
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

I worked my hand muscles with therapy putty initially (via the OT's in rehab). For the last two months I've been working on strengthening my fingers in anticipation of being able to climb again, using gripmasters, which I think are similar to the digiflex someone mentioned on the brown-sequard thread in Care. A friend gave me the yellow one when I was in rehab (soft), then I got the red (medium), and now I'm on black (harder).

For other muscles I've been going to a community gym with a program for disabled people since I got out of the hospital last October -- there might be an adaptive fitness program at your local community college. This place has weight machines and free weights. Start with low weights and more reps, then slowly build up the weights. If your form is starting to get bad, then you know you are using too much weight and back off. Definitely start off with a cardio workout to warm up first and learn how to stretch.

It takes time. Probably good to keep some kind of log with the weights / reps you are doing for each exercise so you can track progress.

like how much weight should i start out on rhyang?

I don't think it's a question that can be answered over the internet. I'd get someone to help you in person if you are just starting out .. the program I was in had people to assist and make suggestions on good form for the particular exercise.

For people in the San Jose area - Adapted Fitness at the Camden Community Center.

May I suggest that whatever exercise program you begin that you work opposing muscle groups as well as smaller muscle groups. I found pilates and yoga to help me recover. My balance and body symmetry was affected by working only the larger muscle groups.

Yoga

Beenthere, how did you adapt yoga?

did you work with a teacher, or DVD or class?

what positions did you find the most useful??

I really need info on yoga, anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated!