Thread: Disabled kids learn to scuba dive at Cobalt Coast Dive Resort

Thumbs up Disabled kids learn to scuba dive at Cobalt Coast Dive Resort

Disabled kids learn to scuba dive at Cobalt Coast Dive Resort Published on Monday, August 11, 2008

Experienced trainers were on hand to assist the disabled youths.
    Children with disabilities will get an opportunity to experience the amazing underwater world, thanks to the Shriners Hospitals for Children in Chicago, United States of America.
    Shriners Hospital and the Diveheart Foundation will take up to six young people with spinal cord injuries between the ages of 13 and 21 every summer to a tropical locale to learn the sport of scuba diving.
    The teens spend three days in the scuba classroom including academic lessons, pool skills and completing ocean dives to learn all they need to know about scuba, the organisers said. Upon completion of the programme, teens will become certified divers and more importantly become more independent in their life skills.
    Once this training is complete, participants head to the ocean to dive where they are free from their wheelchairs and walkers and become one with the underwater world. Adult role models from the Chicago community who are Handicapped Scuba Association (HSA) certified buddies make this amazing adventure possible, the organisers added.
    This year’s programme ran from 26 July to 2 August at Divetech at Cobalt Coast Dive Resort in West Bay.
    The teens being certified this year include Meredith Elston (Dawson, IL), Michael Lewis (New Buffalo, MI), Kraig Kettler (Paola, KS), Meagan Waffle (Mannford, OK) and Shealon Kuly (Winnipeg, Canada). This year’s group lives by the motto “life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!”
    Diving in Grand Cayman is an ideal setting for beginners, with warm waters, easy access to shallow, colorful reefs, excellent visibility accompanied by the well-trained staff from Diveheart and Divetech, the organisers said.
    “The experience brought smiles to everyone and provided the teens with a rewarding lifetime experience,” the organisers said.
    Shriners Hospitals for Children is an international health care system of 22 hospitals dedicated to providing pediatric specialty care, innovative research, and outstanding teaching programs. Children with orthopedic conditions, burns of all degrees, spinal cord injuries, and cleft lip and palate are eligible for care and receive services at no charge - regardless of financial need or relationship to a Shriner.

http://www.caymannetnews.com/news-9207--1-1---.html

Diveheart is who I went diving with in November! Seriously good people and great training. I was already a diver but my buddy and I had to learn a new skillset for this dis stuff. I'd recommend Diveheart to anybody interested in learning.