Thread: Pnkd

Pnkd

Does anyone know whether there is a definitive blood test yet to either rule in or rule out Paroxysmal non-kinesigenic dyskinesia (PNKD)?

If so, what would be looked for in the test?

Regards

Linsky

No blood test. You could see if you can find a research study that is looking at genetic testing (which is still experiemental for diagnosis):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bookshel...ene&part=pnknd

(KLD)

Question PNKD Testing

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    No blood test. You could see if you can find a research study that is looking at genetic testing (which is still experiemental for diagnosis):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bookshel...ene&part=pnknd

(KLD)
    Thank you very much for this reply. I have been trying to find a definitive answer as to whether there was a yes or no answer as to whether there is such test available. My history is not Familial PNKD, my symptoms are as the result of a Road Traffic Accident. I was rear ended at approx 30mph. Since then, I have had symptoms PNKD and as this is a rare disorder, I am trying to find out as much about this as I can so that I can live as normal a life as possible. Would you possibly have any ideas of any other cases of PNKD caused by accidents etc?

The Medication that I am currently taking and is helping me greatly, I have done some self testing with the meds to see what and if I can cut out are: Bearing in mind that I am in the UK so the generic names may be different to the ones you are more familiar with.

Clonazepam 2mg @ 1 tablet three time per day.
    Gabapentin (Neurontin) 600mg @ 1 tablet three times per day.
    Omeprazole 20mg @ 1 tablet per day.
    Tramadol S R (Zydol) @ 1 tablet twice per day.
    Ibuprofen 400mg @ 1 tablet three times per day.
    Methocarbomol (Robaxin) 750mg @ 1 tablet @ 3times per day, if I get neck spasms that are really bad. I take them usually for 1 - 3 days.
    If I did not take any Medication, I would not be able to live a normal (ish) life.

Any information that you may ever come accross, I would be most grateful if you would guide me to it, as I am determined to narrow this down and only let it take the least toll on my body as our genetic make up allows it to. The only real way for each individual, I have learned is research, trial and error. And very importantly, to keep trying to be positive.

Kindest Regards

Linsky
    Last edited by linsky; 08-11-2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: to add a couple of sentences at the end