Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A cool and inexpensive way to add grip to your anodized rims

I take the same rubber hose used for my leg bag. stretch it tight as it wraps around(like a candy cane) matched with pushing gloves when outside. Works very well and waterproof.

Brad
    Last edited by Brad; 01-20-2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: clarity
    jbs

Thanks so much SCI OTR I managed to buy the Scotch 2242 from amazon.com since I could not find it locally. I found out from your original postings on this thread that it was relatively easy to remove the thumb strip from the Natural Fit handrims. Once this is done you get a slightly larger gap between wheel rim and handrim than if you had standard vinyl covered handrims. I think this is due to the oval shape of the Natural Fits. I am very happy with the 2242 tape I don't know why Natural Fit could not have come up with a truly tacky surface like this for their thumb strip.

I made the change after a particular bad winter day experience here in Michigan. I was wheeling in a snow covered alley to deliver a bag of donated clothes to a Goodwill box. My Natural Fits picked up a little more snow and ice on the flat surface of the handrim with every wheel rotation. Suddenly, the flat surface completely iced up. The thumb strip was wet and slippery and allowed no push. My tires were so close to my side panels I could not get my thumb around them to get a good push on the wheel. I managed to drop off the bag and slowly and painfully push out of the alley. Went home and removed thumb strip and taped the pushrim as instructed with the 2242 tape I had already purchased. Major, major improvement, in snow I can get my thumbs between wheel rim and handrim and ghet a good push. In regular weather and inside the 2242 tape gives a nice tacky push.

This whole deal just makes me wonder what kind of research and development Natural Fit did before marketing these pushrims. I ordered my chair with the Natural Fits that were supposed to be most grippy. Baloney! they are like snot on a doorknob when wet. Not only that but the whole flat surface can ice up in the right conditions. These pushrims as sold I think are a bad investment for anybody living in an inclement climate. Post modification I am happy with them. When I 1st got my chair I e mailed Natural Fit about my unhappiness with the thumb strip. They said they were researching for a better surface but had not come up with a solution. I think they should pay SCI OTR a consulting fee.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    Thanks so much SCI OTR I managed to buy the Scotch 2242 from amazon.com since I could not find it locally. I found out from your original postings on this thread that it was relatively easy to remove the thumb strip from the Natural Fit handrims. Once this is done you get a slightly larger gap between wheel rim and handrim than if you had standard vinyl covered handrims. I think this is due to the oval shape of the Natural Fits. I am very happy with the 2242 tape I don't know why Natural Fit could not have come up with a truly tacky surface like this for their thumb strip.

I made the change after a particular bad winter day experience here in Michigan. I was wheeling in a snow covered alley to deliver a bag of donated clothes to a Goodwill box. My Natural Fits picked up a little more snow and ice on the flat surface of the handrim with every wheel rotation. Suddenly, the flat surface completely iced up. The thumb strip was wet and slippery and allowed no push. My tires were so close to my side panels I could not get my thumb around them to get a good push on the wheel. I managed to drop off the bag and slowly and painfully push out of the alley. Went home and removed thumb strip and taped the pushrim as instructed with the 2242 tape I had already purchased. Major, major improvement, in snow I can get my thumbs between wheel rim and handrim and ghet a good push. In regular weather and inside the 2242 tape gives a nice tacky push.

This whole deal just makes me wonder what kind of research and development Natural Fit did before marketing these pushrims. I ordered my chair with the Natural Fits that were supposed to be most grippy. Baloney! they are like snot on a doorknob when wet. Not only that but the whole flat surface can ice up in the right conditions. These pushrims as sold I think are a bad investment for anybody living in an inclement climate. Post modification I am happy with them. When I 1st got my chair I e mailed Natural Fit about my unhappiness with the thumb strip. They said they were researching for a better surface but had not come up with a solution. I think they should pay SCI OTR a consulting fee.
    I can not be a paid consultant to any manufacturer of mobility equipment because I'm a government employee. Fortunately, I don't mind doing it for free (whether they want to hear my opionions or not).

I have talked to Ron Boninger at Three Rivers in AZ about a quad friendly version on a couple of occasions. Both Three Rivers and folks at the Human Research Engineering Laboratory (HERL) in Pittsburgh have been trying to develop a quad friendly version before most of us ever knew about NaturalFits.

I was at HERL a couple of months ago and saw one of the early prototypes of the NaturalFit. Forget any conceptions about it being some computer generated technological marvel which incorporated ergonomic and biomechanical principles with the latest CAD and finite element analysis software to arrive at the optimal handrim shape. Nope, the prototype is simply an anodized handrim from a 22" rim tack welded to the inner circumference of an anodized 24" rim. From there, it evolved to become the present day NaturalFit which some of us love and some of us don't.
    That said, they have some brilliant people at HERL and there has been a significant amount of research supporting the effectiveness of the NaturalFit in minimizing pain in the wrists and hands. Unfortunately, this benefit is only realized by those who have pretty decent hand function.

Personally, I like the previous glossy black finish. While it may have been a tad heavier than the flat black anodized finish, it seems less slippery than the newer finish. Ironically, the textured finish on the newer flat black NaturalFits seems to wick away that little bit of moisture that seems to provide a little more grip. I say "ironically" because you would think the smoother glossy finish would be slipperier. When mine need to be replaced, I may try clear coating the flat black replacements. Hopefully, that won't be anytime soon.

I posted on 1/19 that some people who were less than satisfied with their NaturalFits might feel differently if they tried using them with only the oval component. I added that it would be beneficial for manufacturers to add an "oval component only" option. I discovered that the new Quickie2 Lite order form includes a "Natural Fit - Without Oval Grip" option. I am assuming they actually meant that they could be ordered without the thumb ring. Even so, it appears that Sunrise is also listening to their consumers.

BTW: The Quickie2 Lite represents a significant improvement over the Quickie2 and should even be considered for those thinking about a GTX swingaway.

Hi SCI-OTR, I`m making my addgrips rims.
    I put some photos of the process that I`m doing, I don`t got it finish because I`m doing tests to see what`s the best coloursless adhesive.
    I put a photo when I`ve got them finish.

I`ve finish them, the rims i`ve got now in my chair are this http://www.ortoracing.com/detalle_pr...Dsubfamilia=61 and they are wonderful.

Hi TotoL1, how is the hand rim coating that you made holding up? Is it staying well glued to the hand rim? Is it staying strong against cuts and nicks?

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    Hi TotoL1, how is the hand rim coating that you made holding up? Is it staying well glued to the hand rim? Is it staying strong against cuts and nicks?
    No it was a failure, i was only a few days with it and after that the hose come off the rim, he needed some other special glue, but it worked good while it lasted.

Thanks for the reply. So, even the special glue did not work? What kind of tubing was it and was it providing a good grip and resisting cuts? Was this for yourself or someone else?

I read somewhere here that somebody had his TiLite titanium hand rims sandblasted to a coarse finish for extra grip. I wonder how that worked out and if it would benefit a C6 Quad. I would like an alternative to the standard vinyl coating (or foam or neoprene). Could a aluminum hand rim withstand a sandblasting?

Soon I will purchase a set of aluminum hand rims and try out a couple ideas like SCI-OTR's 3M Scotch 2242 Linerless Rubber Splicing Tape or Radio Buddha's CripGrip wax.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=137883
    Last edited by JMS; 07-25-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    Thanks for the reply. So, even the special glue did not work? What kind of tubing was it and was it providing a good grip and resisting cuts? Was this for yourself or someone else?
    The problem with the glue is that inside there didn`t get dry well, so probably the best option is a contact adhesive.
    The tubing was just a water hose, just find one with the same inside diameter as your rims.

Bumping up an ancient thread here... But have to say, looks like SCI was the true inventor of the new surge handrim!
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.