Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A cool and inexpensive way to add grip to your anodized rims

Tape works and saves our hands

I caught this thread back around the 10th and immediately went out and got the tape and applied it to my Natural Fit handrims. I use the bare handrims with rivnuts on 700C (27") wheels WITHOUT that sticky thumb thing that the normal Natural Fit handrims come with. We absolutely do not need anything that will exacerbate the wear on our thumbs and thumb joints!
    This tape allows us to push with an open hand and thus save some of our hands a little longer.
    It has been about 3 weeks now, the Scotch 2242 is still solid with just one little tear at the edge which I cleaned up with a sharp blade.
    The tape is really great and it makes the Natural Fit handrims actually usable without having to grip them too hard. It is even better than the great Dual Grip handrims (that are no longer being made).

Thanks to SCI-OTR and you other guys for the tips on this one. It makes a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    The same thing as triedandconvicted occurred to me, but this splicing tape is thicker than electrical tape. It can be applied smoothly longitudinally, but it would be difficult to curve around the sidewall of the wheel's rim. Mounting many small segments around the perimeter might work, but the corners might lift up fairly quickly and cause irritation.
    well, your WOW has been confirmed down here in sunny VA Beach!

Holy CRAP! what a simple easy and effective mod.

one continuous strip went around without dog ear-ing or wrinkling at all.

i also ran a strip along the very top of the hand rim and one under neath (out of sight) where my fingers grip.

i think the winner is the underneath strip, but had to try them all.

i used the scotch 2242. regular elec tape, even heavy, was suck compared.

this stuff rocks

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Thanks for the advice. I lined the interior of my Pushbllacks so I can use the back of my gloves to brake. The neoprene was too tacky to brake with. Now I have neoprene to push on and vinyl-ish splice tape too slow down. Been a week and its working great.

One additional note on the use of the Scotch 2242 tape, sort of a maintenance issue; with use the sticky nature of the Scotch 2242 tape is reduced and the handrim with the tape needs to be cleaned.
    I have ended up cleaning mine a couple of times a week and what seems to work quite well is lacquer thinner on a couple of folded paper towels. Dampen the towels, wrap them around the handrim with the tape and make a full revolution forward, rotate the paper towels and back up the same full rotation.
    Makes them nice and sticky and just like new and does not seem to affect the tape's adhesive.

Will 23 work as well?

Hi,
    Thank you for the info.
    I'm an OT Student, from Singapore.
    Was looking around for info on rubber coated hand rims when i came across this forum.

I tried calling the 3M distributor but apparently 2242 is currently not available here. It will take 2 months to process the order, and I will need to order this tape in bulk, but I only need 1 roll for my client.
    The distributor suggested the 23, but I'm not entirely sure whether it will work as well.
    Does anybody know?

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by J_Q; 01-16-2009 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    I've used it on tool handles before where it works well, but it would be difficult to apply on any part of a wheelchair without it running or dripping. This tape applied so cleanly, it is difficult to tell it's there. It is tacky enough that I am able to push my wheelchair with just my thumb nestled in the gap between the wheel and push rim.

sci_otr, will you give an update on how this has worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Q View Post
    Hi,
    Thank you for the info.
    I'm an OT Student, from Singapore.
    Was looking around for info on rubber coated hand rims when i came across this forum.

I tried calling the 3M distributor but apparently 2242 is currently not available here. It will take 2 months to process the order, and I will need to order this tape in bulk, but I only need 1 roll for my client.
    The distributor suggested the 23, but I'm not entirely sure whether it will work as well.
    Does anybody know?

Thank you very much!
    I think the 23 tends to become pretty gooey.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffie View Post
    sci_otr, will you give an update on how this has worked out.
    I found that using it on the outside aspect of my NaturalFit lasted only a few weeks before they became nicked up enough to where I wanted to replace them. I now use it only on the inside aspect of my NaturalFits (see DaleB's post).

The same strips have now lasted over three months with just a wipe down every week or so with a little water & dishwashing detergent to restore the tackiness.

It won't help quads who don't have much finger function, but I think it is beneficial to those with some grip (I have a full, but weak, gross grasp in my left hand).

While I don't have quite the degree of enthusiasm as my initial posts, I still find it helpful and will continue using it.

How do you get the thumb strip off the natural fit rims? I would much prefer an opening there beween the oval pushrim and the wheel as SCIs photo shows. I bought my current chair with the natural fits - does the thumb strip come off without destroying the rim, does it readily detach?

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    How do you get the thumb strip off the natural fit rims? I would much prefer an opening there between the oval pushrim and the wheel as SCIs photo shows. I bought my current chair with the natural fits - does the thumb strip come off without destroying the rim, does it readily detach?
    The "oval component" mounts exactly like a standard pushrim. The "thumb ring" simply fits in the gap between the rim and push rim. The only thing that keeps it from rotating is friction. It can be removed following the same procedure required to remove a pushrim.

I've spec'd out NaturalFit's on a quite a few chairs during the past year or so and have gotten mixed reviews. I'm beginning to suspect that a significant number of the end users who were dissatisfied with them would like them better without the thumb piece. Because it takes about an hour or so to remove the thumb ring and reinstall the oval component (not to mention the hassle of removing the tire and risking puncturing a tube), I'd like to see an "Oval Component Only" option added to manufacturer's order forms. That option would also reduce the cost by about 40% compared to the complete set.