Thread: Quickie S-626 Powerchair Anti-tippers stuck

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA

Quickie S-626 Powerchair Anti-tippers stuck

My backup powerchair is a Quickie S-626. It has 6 wheels and the rear ones refuse to release and allow me to cross the threshold and leave my cabin.
    This chair has two small contacts that are supposed to release the cables to the rear wheels when the seat is lowered completely down. However I have had this repaired many times and shortly afterward it malfunctions.
    I have bungeed the rear wheels up temporarily but am concerned about the chair tipping over as I usually drive with the chair tilted some.

These rear wheel/anti-tippers suck. They require the driver to operate the chair with no tilt and even then they drag and will high center you on uneven terrain.

I failed the test to use access transportation because the chair refused to let me climb a ramp. First chair they ever saw that would not climb a ramp.
    When my father died it would not climb the ramp at the funeral home and my 70 year old uncles had to push the chair up the ramp. Terrible.

The chair will definitely tip over if the rear wheels are bungeed up and I tilt all the way back. Fortunately I was leaned against the couch when this happened because I figured it would.

The wheelchair mechanic contracted by the V.A. refused to remove rear wheels because of liability and I don't blame him.

Anyone else have this chair with this problem? What did you do?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 08-09-2008 at 06:34 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt