Thread: Wisconsin group offers caregiver contests

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wisconsin group offers caregiver contests

Wisconsin group offers caregiver contests

By Judy Rank

I just received information from the Wisconsin Caregivers Association about two wonderful caregiver contests.

WCA and the Wisconsin Association for Area Agencies on Aging (W4A) are co-sponsoring the second annual Caregiver of the Year Spotlight Award and the Cornerstone Award.

The Caregiver of the Year Spotlight Award will be given to a CNA, home care aide, resident assistant, adult day care worker or other direct caregiver. The winner who will be selected must not only be a kind and caring professional who supports clients, but one who also supports co-workers. The recipient of the 2002 award becomes a role model for caregivers and proudly represents them in Wisconsin.

The person being nominated must be a certified nurse assistant, resident assistant, home health aide, home care aide, personal care worker, rehabilitation aide, adult day care worker, medication aide, or other direct caregiver.

To nominate a person, please write in 100 words or less why the person you are nominating deserves the W4A's 2002 Caregiver of the Year Spotlight Award. Include an act of kindness or caring.

Here are some questions to get you started: (these are only suggestions)

n How long has this person worked in the field of direct care?

n How does this person exhibit good caregiving and other on-the-job skills?

n How does this person support co-workers?

n How does this person exhibit professionalism?

n How will this person be a good role model to represent direct care workers in Wisconsin for a year?

The Cornerstone Award will go to a supervisor or manager who helps caregivers in their professional development, encouraging and empowering them to continually improve their skills. He or she will be a good model for other supervisors and administrators in the state.

The person nominated for this award may be an administrator, social worker, director of nursing, or supervisor who has been supportive of caregivers, their co-workers and their profession. This person must have made a positive difference in your life.

To nominate a person, please write in 100 words or less why the person you are nominating deserves the W4A Cornerstone Award. Include an example of how your nominee has shown support for you as a caregiver.

Here are a few questions to get you started: (these are only suggestions)

n How long has this person been a supervisor or manager?

n How has this person helped you in your professional development?

n How has this person supported you and your co-workers?

n How has this person empowered and encouraged you to be the best caregiver that you can be?

Nomination forms are available in the Aging Resource Center office. Mail or fax your nominations to the Aging Resource Center, P.O. Box 935, Manitowoc, WI 54221-0935 by May 8, so that we can forward them to WCA. Our fax number is 683-2718.

All entries will also be judged locally with recognition through the Manitowoc County Caregivers Association.

Please call our office at 683-4180 if you have any questions or would like more information.

Judy Rank is director of the Manitowoc County Aging Resource Center.

Ahem - I noticed a glaring omission here - the most important group of caregivers - family members. Not that I want to be patted on the back for doing what any family member would do, it would just be nice if we were recognized.

For the PCA/home health aide, or the supervisor or 'professional', it's just a job. They come to the house, do the work, go home to their own families.

Family members have nowhere to go to - we're already there. And we wear so many more hats - nurse, pharmacist, urologist, psychologist, financial advisor, banker, therapist - in addition to our roles as mother, father, wife, husband, sister or brother.

WE HAVE FEELINGS TOO!!!!!!

"For the PCA/home health aide, or the supervisor or 'professional', it's just a job. They come to the house, do the work, go home to their own families."

I am a healthcare worker and I take offense to your comment.You may be able to say that about some, but we endure the pain and frustration also. Just because we say good-bye and see you tomorrow doesn't mean that we don't think about the person any further. Don't get me wrong I am not comparing myself to a family member, but we are human too, and we do care. How can you spend time with a person and not care. Yes, it is a job, but we deal with the stress, frustration, and everything else only from a different aspect than you.

[This message was edited by caregiver on May 03, 2002 at 08:11 PM.]

I'd nominate my Dad who does what NO professional has done for my Mother--looked after what keeps her safe, well and medically taken care of and not necessarily what keeps her free according to some moron protection and advocacy group. The only time professionals show up in their lives is when she needs committed to restart a medication regimen and then the professionals insist it can be done at home in 3 days time. NOT that anyone of them will show up to make her take the meds unless ordered to do so by the court. He's also protected me from having to do these jobs so I can continue to be a daughter not a warden.

Not one of the professionals has asked when the last time he had a vacation was. But I'm sure they'll come out of the woodwork this Fall when I take him to Bermuda with me because we'll need inpatient respite for her. I'm with Marmalady. No one gives awards to family because governments think that is what families are for. But that's ok, I'll be dropping her on a case workers' doorstep when Dad is no longer here to care for her.

And he's been a wonderful role model of what "for better or worse" means for my husband and I since my SCI.

Sorry if I offended you, caregiver; I know there are paid caregivers out there who do care. We have one. But I also do know and have experienced firsthand the other side of the story, of paid caregivers who steal from their clients, who abuse their clients, and who deliver a substandard level of care in the client's home that would be nowhere near acceptable in a reputable nursing home.

I also would make the point - as I have before - that, just as none of us can say "I know how you feel" to a person disabled with SCI, the same applies to relatives, friends and paid caregivers not truly knowing how a family member feels.

I applaud all the paid caregivers who, in addition to their duties, give emotional support to our family members.

Family caregivers have long been ignored and exploited; the government and private insurance companies too often see family members as merely 'free' help; a source of caregiving that does not have to be reimbursed.

I get the giggles every time I see this topic

because it sounds like Wisconsin has proposed some kind of bizarre Olympic event. I can almost picture it: line up, caregivers! Have those pressure socks ready! On my count!

or . . .

Get those gloves on, it's time for butt patrol! Who can help produce the finest "results"?

or . . .

Transfer time! Extra points if yours is one of the short, rounded types.

or . . .

Range of motion! Can you do the whole routine in less than 15 minutes while your kids are banging on the door and your spouse is falling asleep under your ministrations and you know the dog has just barfed on the carpet and you haven't actually stretched your OWN body in more than a month?

Sorry! I know it's a serious topic, but sometimes these things just come over me . .

LOL, Kate! Thanks for injecting some humor here!

O.K. so I have now ignored this topic long enough.
    What about us Wisconsin Mom's that are caregivers for their own
    injured children. I know of a couple that I could have nominated.
    I give caregivers all the credit in the world as many are
    wonderful at their jobs. I just think that there are also some
    extraordinary moms and dads ou there that also need to be recognized
    too.
    Yes, Jeani, I am talking about you!!!