Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Such A Simple Thing!

Such A Simple Thing!

Well ...... Bill had his first "in the tub bath" in over a year and a half tonight in his newly reno'd bathroom .......

I know you guys will understand this ....
    .... he got in swished around a bit ... stretched out his legs .....wiggled his toes ..... kidding kidding ..... and then we both looked at each other and the flood gates opened ... I left him alone for a moment so he could collect himself (and me too) and went in to the living room .. sat down and thought to myself ... how does someone explain to an able bodied person .... the sheer joy of something so simple as having a bath .... there just isn't a way ... and maybe that's fine ... it's a special gift ... that only we can appreciate .... or is that an arrogant point of view ...... I dunno .... what I do know is he splashed and washed and sprayed and swished until he was squeaky clean .... reveling in the moment .... he said it it was almost better than sex as best as he can remember !!

Just thought I'd share the moment with you all too ....

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Obieone, I totally understand. The first time I was able to get into the tub I remember not wanting to get out. I thought I was dreaming that I had even gotten in there without breaking anything. One small step for man, one giant leap for Bill!!!!! I am so honored to have read this thread. Many more wonderful baths to come!!!!

Becky,
    Chicago
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Obieone, I had very similar experience. 4 yrs ago had a back surgery, and about 4 weeks post surg. my wife had put moist heat on my back, my being on immunosuppressants had kept inflammation down. Well the stitches were pulling thru my skin, next thing a huge blowout shot past her face, my back opened up, and she and my dtr could see my spine. I'd had an infection stewing for a month.
    I ended up on IV antibio.'s 6 times ina little over a years time i had a damn hole in my back . It had under mined and was over a foot long under the skin. So no baths for me for for almost two yrs, and we had put in a jacuzzi tub, so I REALLY had missed it, what with years of back problems. WOW I know how he felt.
    So scrub his back nicely(afte rall, you are his slave, right)hehe. God Bless, Guy

Good for him! I know it felt heaveny. I'm glad he has a tub now for baths all the time.

I think I told the nurse the same thing while I was having/getting my first shower in over a week right after my fall. I remember how I asked if she could just let the water spray on my head and neck for just a little longer after which I told her it was so Orgasmic to have a shower after that long with out one. I think last night would have called for the pipe obie. Great to know your a family once again so to speak

Thanks for your kind responses everyone .....

Nevada you reminded me of a time right after Bill's initial hospitalization .... he'd been in for about 3 months maybe and I finally got the chance to wash his hair for him .... after we were done he said to the nurse "Jesus ... that felt good almost better than sex" .... we laughed .. but it was for both of us a very intimate experience and one I cherish ... it was also a turning point in our relationship ... because Bill is such a macho sort of guy and took great pride in his virility ..... it made me realize at that moment how greatly our lives had changed ...

I knew you all would "get it" .......

Obieone

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Thanks for sharing Obie, this brought a bit a mist to my eyes. Incredible how much we lose out on many times after SCI. Not complaining, just realizing it.

Hugs to a wonderful lady and her great husband. Enjoy it all.

Raven

That sounds wonderful! I have always planned to put in a big tub someday, when we have the extra $$ for renovations. Well, when I got hurt, we did the renovations, but put in a roll in shower instead.

I'll bet he will really enjoy the baths!

Quick Q .... does he use a lift for the tub? I worry about transfers in and out of porcelain, especially wet.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Yes sJean423 he has a really good lift that has as a recharchable battery! He used to be a shower person pre sci but seems to enjoy the bath more now. The tub we have is extra big so he can really stretch his legs out although he needs to work on his balance because when his legs are straight out in front of him in the water they tend to pull him off the chair ! It looks very much like this http://www.usmedicalsupplies.com/Ame...-Bath-Lift.htm . We are very fortunate my insurance from work covers this sort of stuff and rarely give us a hassle .... small mercies !

I usually stand guard for the transfers but when he's in top form he manages pretty well on his own even when wet ... you just can't be in a hurry and you need to think it through .... before you know it you're in and splish splash you're takin' a bath .... !

Obieone

Jane Siberry

How wonderful for you both! How normalizing after everything you two have been through together. I think it might be rubber ducky time!