Thread: Question for Mothers

Question for Mothers

I recently found a place in Soth Florida where the do Tantem skydiving jumps and (acording to them) they've had disabled people jump..so, of course, I WANNA GO! but... after telling my mom about it, I felt like a bitch cause:
    1. She sufers from vertigo and wants to do everything with me.
    2. Had that frighten look on her face of "what if my baby gets hurt"
    3. All though it's a "safe" jump, what would happen to her if something went wrong?
    For a while last night I kept torning myself between those things I'd LOVE to do(like this) and the mixed emotions of what would happen to her if something went wrong... I mean, watching your only daughter crash onto the ground must be devastating.
    If your kid wanted to do something like this.... how would u react????????
    Don't forget, I'm 26 but... with this quad deal, I never left home so... I'm still her "little baby"

Me.

As a mother, I worry when my grown kids cross busy streets!

This is a tough one. Yes, it would be devastating for your mother to watch you go splat, but you have to live your life. Personally, I'm not a risk taker, I would never jump out of an airplane, and I can't even understand the desire to do so, but a lot of people jump and love it.

Sorry, Polett, no advice or brilliant insights here. There are good arguments for doing it and for not doing it. Maybe someone with more wisdom will be along soon.

"Spreading your wings"

My daughter is a T11/12, and is 21 years old...hasn't left home, and is my only child. And while she wants to do things at times (nothing this drastic yet, but give her time!!) that scare the crap out of me...she's an adult. I can't hang onto her forever. She's looking at moving to Arizona (we live in Michigan now) and at times I'd almost rather see her jump out of a plane! I guess my point is, if you want to do this, be firm. It'll be a life lesson for you AND your mom. Life lessons can suck...but they have to be endured, sometimes. My thoughts are always centered around the fact that I may not be around forever, and my daughter has to be able to live without me. I think everyone who visits this forum has learned that life is uncertain! So....as a mom, I say take the plunge!! Good luck...

I understand where your mum is coming from .I have 4 kids ,and motherhood not only brings joy it also brings a sence of worry that cannot be explained or imagined untill your "there" .
    When my kids were little the first of everything was a worry ...the first day at preschool , the first time they went in someone elses car , the first sleepover ..im sure you get the idea .What made it bearable ? The kids would come home and tell me all about their adventures ..they have no idea how much i worry ,its not their job to know .
    My advise is ...if you really want to do this , do it ,take your mum ,let her watch or be somewhere ready with a bottle of bubbly ready to celebrate her daughters achievment .
    That said , i know that my mum worries all the time about me ,she has said she wishes she could wrap me up in cotton wool ...i said i would suffocate ..i guess ,to a mum ,their child will always be their child ,no matter how old you are .
    Hope this helps , ... when you do it ..let us know what it was like ..ok .

"tandem jumping"

Hi Pollett - I would react with fear and horror if my daughter said she was going to do it, but I would accept the fact that it was something she wanted to do, and I would support her in doing it. I would be there to watch and hold my breath while she was coming down, and be jubilant with her when she landed safely. Hopefully, this is something your Mother will do also.

My daughter is T12 incomplete and about 5 years older than you. In fact, about 10 years ago, while backpacking through New Zealand, she did do a tandem jump (while AB) and loved it! She also went bungy jumping there (highest one) but didn't like that as much. So for her 21st birthday in NZ, her present was "another tandem jump" from us.

Mothers will always be protective of their "children" no matter what age they are, but we also have to let them live life the way they want to live it. We have to "set them free" so they can be who they want to be. I am sure your Mom would agree to that but can't help but be protective. I am too, but I force myself to remember that my daughter is her own person - and a very wonderful, smart one at that!

I say "Do it" if you really want to do it. I'm sure it would be exhilarating for you and you will love it.......although I personally, would have to be pushed out of the plane to do it myself. The only thing I would suggest, would be for you to check with your Dr. first, to make sure that the force on landing would not do any more damage to your back, etc.

Good Luck if you do it, and if you don't, I am sure there will be many other exciting and thrilling things for you to do. Take care.
    Darlene

polett, you should meet my daughter

She was with her dad when he broke his neck, and it broke her heart. When she sees anything radically dangerous on tv (like bungee jumping off a cliff, or parasailing, or helicopter skiing) she says, "I want to try!!" What am I supposed to make of this? I don't know, but I know that it's HER LIFE, not mine. Live yours, that's what I say. It's the only one you get. My kid isn't even 12 yet, and, oh God, I want to protect her. I only hope she has sense enough not to let me.

your life

i say its probably the same heart stopping terror s wathing them back th car out of the drive way that first time. she would be shatered beyond words but she would heal and know that you were happy. you have to LIVE or youwill look back when you get older and regret evey minute you did'nt, you may even resent her for stopping you, and that is no place for anyone to be. i would rather watch my kid live and be happy hope this helps.

THANK YOU ALL

for your replies, all though I wont be going till about September when I can spen the money.
    I understand what u all mean of individuality, it just feels selfish to put her heart in her mouth when she has sacrificed her life for me.
    But, so far, IM GOING, I'll post the results when it happens.

P.S. I too got injured with my dad.

Me.

Yay!

Plus, we want photos!