Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Partner relationships of couples with SCI or TBI

Welcome back Tim!
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel
    That is great - now I can quote that 38% of married SCInjured persons marry post injury. I get so many jaw drops when I tell person XYZ that Chad and I met and married 15 years after his injury. I'm not alone!
    What I hate is the "Oh you're such a wonderful man for sticking with her through this all" load of crap...

like. WTF? I just want to say
    "Excuse me? You think I'm such a burdeon because I broke my back that you think my husband should leave me?

Go away now and fall off the world."

but usually I'm too shocked to think of that comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmare View Post
    We cannot marry or I'd lose my health care and my partner would lose his primary job, but as long as our wills are respected I should be fine.

I'm surprised you encounter so much surprise. Amongst those I know a disability is more of a characteristic than some old-fashioned curse. Then again, I tend to hang around progressive people.
    I am glad I am not alone! I met the LOVE of my life, but we cannot marry also because He would lose his health care also

Well I was married for 28 yrs. to a man that does not have any injuries, then I met the love of my life October 24, 2010. I have known of him all my adult life and we were online friends for two yrs. before meeting and I knew the minute I saw him, that I loved him and I have never seen his SCI as he or others see it. I see him for himself and I would walk across fire and back for him. We have been through our own hell with others before, abuse both physical and mental and we may have our issues with sex, etc. but I would not trade him or I life with him for anything or anyone. I have friends that cannot understand why I would go from having material things to having someone like him. Well I can say that they were never my friends, if they cannot just stand beside me and support me no matter what they feel. I have done that for them, but I guess I am more of a supportor than they are. Just because he cannot walk does not make him less of a man, lover or friend. HE is my soulmate and he feels the same way about me. SCI people are people just like everyone else, you have issues but who the hell doesnt....Thumbs up to everyone that loves a SCI person.

I had a marriage with a person without SCI and it was no bed of roses and if it wasnt for my children, I would have been gone along time ago. Just because he is able to walk does not mean he is perfect......if you love someone you love them no matter what the problems are and I could not love my husband like I love Bruce, and I love taking care of Bruce and I did trade material things for love and happiness and I have not regretted it one moment.....I will be honored to say in 27 more yrs...that I am still with him.