Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delicious, Easy, Healthy Pasta Salad

Delicious, Easy, Healthy Pasta Salad

So easy it's rediculous!

1 lb of whatever shape of pasta you want
    1 small block of sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
    pepperoni, cubed if you want, I get the slices and cut them in half (use as much or as little as you want)
    1 pint of grape tomatoes, cut each in half
    1 small - medium red onion, chopped small
    1 green bell pepper, chopped small
    1 red bell pepper, chopped small
    1 yellow bell pepper, chopped small
    1 head of broccoli, chopped small
    1 bottle of rasberry vinaigrette

Don't sweat the proportions, mix and match, add and omit, but this basic structure of pasta salad has been getting rave reviews for two summer's worth of picnics and BBQs!

You think it would still be good w/out the pepperoni, or can you suggest a substitute? It sounds delish but pepperoni icks me out for some reason. How long should it sit before serving, for best reults? Maybe if the pepperoni absorbs the vinaigrette I'd like it. Thnx!

Sounds really good! I just printed it out and will try it this week .... getting sick of the same old mac salad I make.

Betheny .... I think it would be fine w/o it .... just a little less spicy. You could maybe add some other meat if you wanted the variety .... little cubes of honey ham maybe?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Sounds really good! I just printed it out and will try it this week .... SJean

If it's a race I win !!!!!!!!! I made some for tonight, I too got tired of the Macaroni salad, even though dad loves it. I made it with Soppersetta, tastes good. Split with some regular Italian dressing as well as the Rasberry vinaigrette. Honey Ham would be good, I'll have to try to remember that.

If you really want to "bring it up a notch" and make it super healthy, try using lifestream organic whole grain pasta (spirals) Now don't knock it until you try it. My mom is a diabetic and we will eat this many times as an alternative to the white floiur pasta. It may be an acquired taste for some but prepared with the right ingredients it's delicious. I would put in everything the the op suggested, minus the pepperoni of course.

I fear whole grain pasta. I WANT to eat it, my hubs = diabetic too. I'm just so afraid it will be awful.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    I fear whole grain pasta. I WANT to eat it, my hubs = diabetic too. I'm just so afraid it will be awful.
    Where's Juke when you need him. Betheny, do not fear, whole grain pasta isn't as bad as you may think. OK, personally I don't like it with Italian tomato sauce. A light cream sauce or sauted veggies with garlic and olive oil is sooo delicious. I even throw in some bay scallops or shrimp. If I could I would send you a dish of my famous already prepared whole grain pasta creation. I'll bet even hubby would like it. Would you like the pasta with veggies or a light pink cream sauce with our without vodka?

Glad it's getting some interest!

Definitely mix and match the meats, maybe try cold chicken. The last time I made it I reserved a small amount without the pepperoni for my vegetarian sister. Tasted fine to me.

I found a pasta that is made from brown rice (I have a mild gluten intolerance). I'm sorry, but I don't have a brand name off the top of my head. I liked it, but it doesn't expand like regular pasta.

Quote Originally Posted by cara_m
    Where's Juke when you need him. Betheny, do not fear, whole grain pasta isn't as bad as you may think. OK, personally I don't like it with Italian tomato sauce. A light cream sauce or sauted veggies with garlic and olive oil is sooo delicious. I even throw in some bay scallops or shrimp. If I could I would send you a dish of my famous already prepared whole grain pasta creation. I'll bet even hubby would like it. Would you like the pasta with veggies or a light pink cream sauce with our without vodka?
    Not to worry, I picked up on this and your input earlier tonight and spent a lot of time looking for an on-line source for Lifestream pasta w/o satisfactory denoument. I even tried to figure out where you live so I could gauge local availability - but you don't give much away in your PP.

The main thing I got about wholegrain pasta is not to expect it to taste much like regular pasta and it will establish its own taste/place in your diet habits.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by cara_m
    Given the choice, I always lean towards the vodka.

Actually I've never had vodka sauce either. I'll try that!