Thread: wheelchair armrest issues

wheelchair armrest issues

i am C3 and I have a powered wheelchair. When I pressure release my chair reclines and my arms constantly come out of the arm rests. it's like the back of the armrest should have a lip coming up on the very back because my arm slide backwards. Anybody have any suggestions. Thanks Bill

You can get elbow blocks put on your armrests.
    Or get a contoured armrest - Ottobock makes some.

Motion Concepts makes a nice ergonomic arm trough. The urethane material they use is softer and more flexible, so it will not crack as easily as an Otto Bock arm trough...

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    Motion Concepts makes a nice ergonomic arm trough. The urethane material they use is softer and more flexible, so it will not crack as easily as an Otto Bock arm trough...
    I have a motion concept armrests with cup's for the elbow and my arm still falls out

Ask your seating person for an elbow block. They can attach it as high as you need it to keep your arm from falling backward.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    SCI OTR,
    Could you please tell me if the type arm rest shown above is available for the PERMOBIL CORPUS II Seating System.? Ihave a PERMOBIL C-500 w/CORPUS II Pwr Seating system.Also is there different CORPUS pwr seating systems for the PERMOBIL pwr chairs? Please advise.
    Thank You !

Quote Originally Posted by RAFS
    Could you please tell me if the type arm rest shown above is available for the PERMOBIL CORPUS II Seating System.?
    Quote Originally Posted by Billystrauss
    I have a motion concept armrests with cup's for the elbow and my arm still falls out
    To kill two quotes with one stone, in order to use other styles of arm pads on a Permobil, you would need Permobil's arm trough adapters. Here is a pic of one which has an Otto Bock arm trough on it.

I've fabricated elbow stops for Otto Bock arm troughs by cutting strips of 1/8" ABS plastic, sanding out any rough edges, shaping them with a heat gun, and mounting them in the channel under the arm trough. The same thing could be done with the Motion Concepts arm trough. Using the channel allows the armrest to be flipped back without interference. The 1/8" ABS also has some give when the elbow comes into contact with it to limit the amount of pressure exerted against the skin on the back of the arm. Whether or not something like this will work, however, depends on one's individual fit in a particular chair.

Motion Concepts, Falcon Rehab, and Otto Bock also make clamp on elbow stops which swing out of the way, but they can be bulky and interfere with normal operation of the armrests.