View Poll Results: if a better lock-down system was available, would you drive from your manual chair?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

41 49.40%
  • no

42 50.60%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: would you drive from your manual chair?

NO ideas on dirt. I keep a towel over my seat that I put the chair on.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    Is it just me or did this just turn ugly?
    No, you're right. Last night, as I was going to sleep, I thought about my post and wished that I had ignored the oblique snipe that I read into Scorpion's post. Whether I was right or wrong about my interpretation doesn't matter. I contributed negativity with how I responded.

As far as the ac goes, we have some hot ones here in TN at times. I should be glad it's not usually 110 degrees but I have to worry too much about filling up my tank to run the ac all the time. I would like to just roll in and go. I don't have a difficult transfer so going to a regular seat wouldn't bother me. It's the breakdown that gets on my nerves.
    I agree that breaking down the chair is annoying, but when it comes down to it, that annoyance lasts for less than 60 seconds. It's more psychological than anything else. I feel that those who focus more on their own disability are most likely to feel greatly annoyed by transferring in and out of a car.

C.

I know I grumble about lots of things that don;t take much time. There were dishes in the sink this morning, why didn;t someone just put them in the dishwasher! Grumble, grumble. Yet it took me less than the 1 1/2 minutes I was microwaving something to get it done. Probably wasn;t worth fussing about ..... yet I did!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Sorry if this is off-topic a bit, but Ron I will be driving in the same setup as you with a transfer seat base in a van. Do you have an ez-lock system to hold your wheelchair in place from where you transfered? I'm in a manual chair and confused on if it needs to be secured down if i transfer into a driver's seat while driving? Anyone else with knowledge on this, i'd appreciate it.
    I see the other guys said they don't have locks for their chair, but I do. I just back my wheel into a bracket and it locks it in place. I prefer it locked rather than not locked. It's a pain in the ass as it is with the time it takes to get the swivel seat to where you want, but then u gotta mess with grabbing ur chair and putting it where you want it. Plus, you don't have to worry about your chair moving out from under you while you are transferring!

If my chair isn't locked down it's all over the place.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

The design of a manual wheelchair isn't meant for driving a vehicle of any kind. The only time I could understand driving from a chair is if your physicaly impaired with bad shoulders and arms to make a good transfer.
    If I was meant to have wheels under my ass, what the hell are these legs for?
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1455040496

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing View Post
    Hel, no! I can't imagine driving from a wheelchair at all. Safety is my first concern when it comes to driving and I have to admit that the idea of driving from a chair doesn't sound like the safest thing ever.

C.
    Its almost as safe as sitting in the actual chair... I have since 1995.... tie-down locking across my axle with 2 u-clamps and secured by 4-points and bolts to my underside chair frame (kuschall 3000 and invacare dial-flex back), solid as heck.... brakes on... normal lap/shoulder belt.... velcros strap from my chair back around my torso at pectoral level for trunk support... safe and stable... I've been in 2 accidents that jarred me a lot and there was no issue... everything held me secure and safe... you'd have to be in a accident of true vehicle crushing impact to see any of my setup break, and that'd be the chair before anything... and if you were in that bad of an accident even in the regular chair you'd be in bad shape.

To the starter of this thread... if you can design a lighter weight -- yet very strong tie-down -- particularly one that will accomodate chairs like a quickie gti, ti-lite zra, crossfire, those kinda frames, you'll do major business... I'll be one of your first customers if I could cut down the weight of my current modded ez-lock tie-down

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing View Post

I agree that breaking down the chair is annoying, but when it comes down to it, that annoyance lasts for less than 60 seconds. It's more psychological than anything else. I feel that those who focus more on their own disability are most likely to feel greatly annoyed by transferring in and out of a car.

C.
    Or could they be focusing on the pain, the hassle, or maybe the pouring rain?
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    Or could they be focusing on the pain, the hassle, or maybe the pouring rain?
    My shoulders can only manage 3 "sets" of chair breakdowns, even with some extra pt to build up the muscles, and modification on my technique to protect them. Considering the ramifications of shoulder damage as I age, it is something I need to consider.

And aside from that, back in my ab days, when my kids were in car seats, it was a similar situation, hassle to get them in and out, so I would plan trips to limit stops, so for me it isn't totally dis related. I'm just lazy!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    I see the other guys said they don't have locks for their chair, but I do. I just back my wheel into a bracket and it locks it in place. I prefer it locked rather than not locked. It's a pain in the ass as it is with the time it takes to get the swivel seat to where you want, but then u gotta mess with grabbing ur chair and putting it where you want it. Plus, you don't have to worry about your chair moving out from under you while you are transferring!

If my chair isn't locked down it's all over the place.
    What does it look like? Did it come with your modified minivan or was it something that you came up with after the fact.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    What does it look like? Did it come with your modified minivan or was it something that you came up with after the fact.
    It came right with the van when I got it. It wasn't something I had to ask for either it was just there. Its very easy to use & I'd really recommend it or something of some sort to hold your chair in place while you aren't in it. You just back your wheel into it & then to release you just push down the lever. Mine is a 04' Caravan converted by VMI.

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.